Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tested 33' Powerplay today >

Tested 33' Powerplay today

Notices

Tested 33' Powerplay today

Old 04-03-2002, 07:33 AM
INCOGNITO

THE POWERPLAY THAT CAME APART IN THE 95 WORLDS IN KEY WEST WAS RUNNING B-CLASS THE NAME OF THE BOAT WAS MR. K AND YES THERE WAS A FATALITY--THE BOAT CAME APART WHEN IT WAS STUFFED....THE GUY WAS NO ROOKIE,HE KNEW THE BOAT,HE KNEW THE WATER..UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION IT WAS FOUND THAT THE BOAT HAD BEEN LIGHTENED..POWERPLAY BUILDS A GREAT BOAT..FOLKS EVERYTIME YOU GO OUT THERE NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BOAT YOU HAVE OR HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE FOR THE UNTHINKABLE...THE SPEED //THE DANGER//THATS THE RUSH!!!!!AND LIKE THE SONG SAYS--WE'RE FLIRTING WITH DISASTER......JUST REMEMBER BE RESPONSIBLE ,BECAUSE IT AINT JUST YOU ON THE BOAT ..OR ON THE WATERWAY..KNOW YOR LIMITS...

Old 04-03-2002, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Whatdoin,

I am somewhat curious as to why you brought this particular post I put up in NOVEMBER of last year and dragged it 6 months forward. Did you believe we at Powerplay would recieve negative responce to it ? Pretty sad if this was the case.

However to answere some of the original comments from the day, we went to test in those terrible conditions becouse we have no fear of waves. Seriously, the boat had to be tested prior to delivery and here in south Florida you simply cannot run 80MPH on the Intracoastal anymore, the condo commandos call the Police.

About Pepe, it was a very sad day for offshore racing to lose such a competetor. He has been missed dearly by all of us that really new him. His team was very aggressive and in 95 was kicking all asses. Pepe raced hard and won, unfortunatly some factors all came together that day. I assure you the boat was not one of them. Racers there in the water described the accident this way, Pepe was running out in front and very fast for the conditions. The boat was leaving the flat water and hit a huge swell that launched it. It flew long and high and came in nose first at 90 mph, the bow stuck in the bottom and the water stopped the deck instantly. The back of the boat was still high and dry and the inertia of the 3000 lbs of motors kept moving forward at 90 snapped the boat like a toothpick. We came to find out later that the boat was rigged "not by us" with a large ballast tank forward which could explain its bad reentry.

P.S. I went to the Indy 500 that same year and watched in horror as Stan Fox hit the wall in turn 1 and disintigrated his 225 MPH Lola, does this make Lola a bad race car ? I think not. Ask any Powerplay owner if they are happy with there purchase and the boats durability, and you will always get a resounding yes.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bosco,

Very true, I couldn't be happier with my 33...Thats why I'm hesitating about buying the 38 ft. I'm pretty satisfied. Not too many 33 ft. boats you can run with 800's and not be all over the place....Besides, my 33 ft. thinks it's a 40 ft. anyway

Talk to you soon,

zzie
Old 04-03-2002, 09:25 AM
Registered

Ooopssea---there is NO boat built that can't be broken--i have seen alot of good boats break---i have broken some boats myself-anytime you go to the extreme you run that risk--ever heard of the unsinkable titanic
Old 04-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Registered

true...VERY true!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Registered

My old boat could handle those seas with NO PROBLEM! Of course it was a 1200 ft aircraft carrier with 276k shaft horspower.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:58 AM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Hey Bosco!
Not to change the subject but you got approx 10 days to splash DEFYnGRAVITY's 38 don't ya? How is it coming?
Old 04-03-2002, 02:34 PM
Whatdoin

BOSCO - i was just curious. I am more curious to see the DEFYnGRAVITY 38. Where will it be splashed? Wouldn't mind stopping by to see it in person!

Old 04-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

I'm going to throw a party when she gets wet ! The owner is really going all out, and this boat will have one bad graphic selection. I have an appointment with him and I will ask to post a pick of the selection.

Old 04-04-2002, 03:41 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Hey Bosco! April the 13th is a great day for a cristening party! That is the date it is going to get wet isn't it? At least that is the date I was told it will be delivered. Has there been ANOTHER set back?