Notices

Boating Video ???'s

Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boating Video ???'s

Ok, we all like to see cool vids of loud boats, especially onboards. So I wonder if someone came up with system to 5.1 mic a boat for sound and vid in HIGH DEF, (A) would you be interested in seeing that and if there was enough footage to occupy a DVD (reg def, Windows Media HI Def or Blue Ray) would you buy one? Or (B), would you pay for someone to come out with said Hi Def, 5.1 equipment to vid your boat? As an audio engineer, the onboards I have seen just have lacked that something "special" in the sound dept. There's nothing like being there, so I'm going to try to make as close as possible if I go forward with this.

Next year, for tax purposes, I need to start a company. I have decided to give this a try and have been working on the technicals for the last 2 weeks coming up with an equipment list and such along with thinking up a great microphone technique that will capture the true essence of these machines. Like I said, this will be for tax purposes but if I can make back some of my repair bill, then that's a bonus.

I work at the world's largest and most advanced entertainment school and the students are gone from Dec 19th to Jan 8th. So we have some down time. I'm going to ATTEMPT to check out the binaural head and do some experimental 2 channel recording with a regular Vid camera as practice if the time permits, but for right now my boat is still waiting on parts...If anyone in the Central Fl. area plans on being out during the holidays and wouldn't mind being a guinea pig, let me know and hopefully they'll let me check out the "head" (see pic below) They are very nervous about this going on a boat. It has to be an offshore type machine that stays dry on the inside. I don't care if it's a single or twin engine machine, but LOUD is preferred.

I appreciate all opinions and input on this matter, thanks
Attached Thumbnails Boating Video ???'s-ku100_z.jpg  
Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Boating Video ???'s

Go For It Sounds Cool!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Huh?!!!

"binaural head"
this is a chick that blows and has 2 personalities correct???
Old 12-11-2006, 06:54 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Huh?!!!

"binaural head"
this is a chick that blows and has 2 personalities correct???
lol.Jen said your not right Rob.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont know what i could do to help, but I have done some video of boats from in the boat and in the helicopter, and my business is sound. If you think there is anything I can help you with give me a call.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound? Who want's sound!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I shoot HD for our boating videos all the time. I can never get audio the way I want it from a helicopter. If I can help, I'd love to. If you want to bring your audio gear out here (SoCal)I can get a group together to cover some of your costs and we can give it a whirl.

And if we can get audio nailed down we could make a fine DVD (the business we're in)....... Seems like a match!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need several Lectrosonic 411 wireless mics with a variety of 416 Sennheiser mics mounted in the engine compartment as well as two Countryman B6's taped to the back transom. Keep your audio guy in the boat and use a ZAXCOM stereo wireless transmitter system to the camera. I've seen me do it.

www.varicamcrew.com
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I don't plan to record to "main" audio straight to the camera. The MOTU Traveler is a bus powered interface with 4 mic pre's (8 inputs total) and I'll take that straight into the laptop. I'll still take audio from the camera but mainly for synching. I'm going to experiment with shotgun and clip on instrument mics along with some boundary types for the low end. I am on a limited budget so the little Sony 'prosumer' hi-def cameras are what's going to be used. I can't decide between the DV version or the new hard drive version right now. Right now the main goal is to figure out an onboard setup. When you guys film from choppers, I assume you're using shotguns????
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

We put two 411's on the boats that all have different frequencies that way we can "tune" into any boat we are shooting and either use the 416 shotguns in the engine compartment or Sanken or Countryman mics on the transom with gaff tape over the top of them. That way they are totally sealed, more for wind than anything else. You would think that the tape would hurt the sound but it doesn't. You end up with a nice deep rumble and inside you can hear the air getting "pushed" into superchargers as they get on and off the throttles.

Quick Reply: Boating Video ???'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.