Notices

Remove ugly orange paint

Old 02-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Wildfire

Post Remove ugly orange paint

Hi folks, I have been listening for the past couple of weeks and finally registered yesterday. Thanks for all the good info all ready.

What's the best way to remove painted on orange stripes? The stripes are paint on top of paint. The boat has been clear coated, but some of that has chipped off in spots. I am not too concerned about up close quality or finish. This is a very good 20'-20mph boat, that needs new paint anyway. I just want to get through the summer.

BTW, I am going to smooth the boat out by taking off most of the hardware on the topsides including the bow rail. The windshield will also be replaced with a 1/3 height fairing. The Magnum won't be goofy looking for long. There is a great hull just waiting to come out. See my website for a concept photo.
http://www.chevalfarms.com/magnum.html

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Wildfire ]

Old 02-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you got the right idea goin. Your concept looks good to me. Is that boat from Oklahoma? Looks like one that was for sale from there.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can put Vynal stripes of another color over them???? allot cheaper than stripping and painting?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildfire,

I used oven cleaner to remove the boot-stripe on my 28' Magnum. This works well, however I'm not sure if it will work on clear coat. For $4.99 I guess you could try it.Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the boat has been clear coated over there is not a lot you can do. If you wet sand the color off the clear will be gone. You could give it a try but once you start you are comitted to the job so make sure you are 100% comitted. The new version looks real good

Jon
Old 02-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the board. Nice magnum.

I think the only way is some very careful sanding. Or tape over it, untill you paint the sides like your concept photo.

What engine do you have, what are your plans?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice boat. I really like your plans for it. People who know classic boats will appreciate that one. If I were you I'd talk to one of the custom riggers in Florida that does this kind of thing often. They can at least get you pointed in the right direction or get you in touch with their paint people. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice boat - did you just get it? I saw either your boat, or one just like it for sale somewhere on the web pretty recently.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Wildfire

Thanks for all the suggestions. This boat has been advertised on all the sites for the last few months. I bought it last weekend out of Vinita OK.

Regarding the stripe, I will start hand sanding tomorrow morning and see how that goes. At least it will be all one color. The clear coat is already goofed up. The PO removed the big white graphic on the side which took a fair amount of clear coat with it. Like I said a good looker at 20' or 20mph. Get up close and the rough spots show.

Regarding the power, it has a new crate 350. I am told it runs about 40mph. Not exacly a MAGNUM more like a magnum. I would like to go faster and will in the future. Anyone ready to donate a big block or a 383 stroker, my email is in the profile. The drive is a Volvo 275. The guys over on the Donzi page believe this will hold up well even with more ponies. Time will tell.

Old 02-08-2002, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea good luck