Opinions on downsizing needed

Notices

Opinions on downsizing needed

Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Opinions on downsizing needed

Originally Posted by BL6
Down sizing is tough, because you know how nice it is to take waves with more length. There are a lot of days on Lake Mich that boating in something 30' or smaller can be more frustrating than fun. Remember true hull length is the correct measure. We could both think of a 32' boat that may really only have 28-29' running surface. Also K-planes are a must.
Yea, I have been out in some rough water for sure in my hawk, and it was nice having the length. However, I have seen some 31ft Fomulas, Sonics, and a old 27ft Magnum run right there with me in the rough. Im sure they were taking a beating, but they were there.

Im kinda leaning towards a true 31-33ft boat. No 31 ft boats that really measure 28'11" I dont want to have a 2ft beak and a two foot swim platform included in my LOA.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Opinions on downsizing needed

I think it makes a lot of sense. I had my next boat all picked out to be a nice Formula 400SS, and then the 43 Active Thunder was announced which I also put into the mix.

Then a guy posted that he was selling his 400SS because he was bored. He lived on the water, with the boat on the lift. The boat did not have a fun factor anymore as to just dropping it in the water for a 2 hour quick blast by himself. That weighed HARD on my next boat thoughts.

Now I have NO plans whatsoever to upgrade to a bigger boat.

You may need to expand your budget, but I think you would be extremely pleased with a 32 Active Thunder or a 31 Sonic.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by Griff
I've got a friend with an '89?? Formula 311 with upgraded paint, newer Bravos, and newer +/-450hp engines. Fresh water boat at LOTO. I think he wants about 35k for it. Pm me if get serious and I'll put you in contact with him.
lutzparty's boat is in great shape with lots of upgrades. cant believe it hasnt sold yet. mild thunder you really should look into it.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Whats the Stinger look like? That apache is nice too. How are the apache 28 cabins?
Here are a few pics from when I looked at the boat. TRS drives work/Velvet drives are also fine/Motors are since pulled-garbage
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...312%20LIMITED/

Last edited by prostock85; 01-04-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe.....sorry to see you selling the Hawk. Have you thought Scarab II or Scarab III. Seems to be quite a few nice ones for not much $$. Nice cabins too.

best of luck

Todd
Old 01-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger390
Hey Joe.....sorry to see you selling the Hawk. Have you thought Scarab II or Scarab III. Seems to be quite a few nice ones for not much $$. Nice cabins too.

best of luck

Todd
Hi Todd, How you been? I love the Hawk, but just looking to change up my boating stlye a bit. I like Scarab III's, but theres one thing about them steering away. My buddy has one, its a 88 with trs and 420's. The hull has many stress cracks on the bottom and transom, and a lot of hardware broke. Im sure alot of it has to do with too much partying on the boat, and jumping rollers with 15 people on board! But I guess if I found a really nice for cheap money I may consider one.

I see you listed the Stinger. It looks like a really clean boat.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah....I'll see what happens. I don't really want it to go, but if it does...it does. It takes forever to sell these things sometimes anyway. ( I would really like to find a KV Scarab, but don't tell my wife that) (or an older Top Gun) I love the flat decks.

The boat is getting cleaner every day, especially since is has been like spring here and I can work on all the little things I wanted to fix. I'm starting to look around on it now and wonder what else I can do... which is a good thing. I painted the drives and tabs today and I'm trying to hunt down some trim rams if you know of anyone selling any.

Your boat looks better without the JRC Express on the side. I noticed your picture on ebay, without it and it looks great. Hopefully you will get some good leads.

Good luck with the search. There are lots of nice boats out there in that size range. I personally like the 35 Cigarette Mistress, or the older Cig 35 flat decks. If you can find a good deal on one of them, you could never go wrong. That may be a little bigger than you are thinking of anyway, or like others have said...a Cig. 31. Nice stuff. (and most assuredly not many stress cracks)

Ck these out:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-13816.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-13643.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11239.html

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=62649&url=

Todd

Last edited by stinger390; 01-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe look in the classifieds there is a add for a 86 Scarab III he is from Chicago. The motors don't have many hours on them it has new transom and the upholstery is new. Good clean boat No stress crack that I remember seeing. His name is Bo.

Mark

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Hi Todd, How you been? I love the Hawk, but just looking to change up my boating stlye a bit. I like Scarab III's, but theres one thing about them steering away. My buddy has one, its a 88 with trs and 420's. The hull has many stress cracks on the bottom and transom, and a lot of hardware broke. Im sure alot of it has to do with too much partying on the boat, and jumping rollers with 15 people on board! But I guess if I found a really nice for cheap money I may consider one.

I see you listed the Stinger. It looks like a really clean boat.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been on a 32 excalibur (chris craft) and a 311 formula, there is no comparison in rough water, the 311 is twice the boat! i have personally owned a scarab 300 wich is the same hull as the scarab panther and again the 311 was a far better ride in rough seas.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

This 30' Sutphen is a Michigan boat.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/9/85426289.htm