Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chicago Boat Show... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14829-chicago-boat-show.html)

32fever 01-28-2002 10:14 AM

Originally posted by candyman35:
<STRONG>32fever,
Do you keep your boat over at Pier 33?
Dan</STRONG>
Hell no. LOL! We trailer it. Might buy a slip someday, but water levels too low now to even bother. Pier 33 is not the friendliest of places, either. We had some trouble last year with a slip, we just go to the muni on weekends and trailer home. Live 15 minutes from the launch. trailering keeps it cleaner, too. And it's nice to see it in the driveway during the week.

Noclue,
Yeah, you're "assuming" nobody has ever worked a show before. I have, and wasn't like that, at least I said "hi" to anyone looking around. Would "if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask" kill anyone? hell, it's part of the damn job, if you can't do it, you need to find a new job.

Waterfoul,
Yeah, I met you for pizza, but you weren't there on Friday. Ah, you'd just abuse me anyway. :D :D :D New duffle bag eh? Now you can store all those Michael Bolton cd's.! :eek:

Mark

Caincando1 01-28-2002 03:56 PM

All in all I had a good time.

I was most impressed with the Sonic 31ss, great use of space. Unfortunatly the salesmen that we talked to didn't know squat about the boats.

Nothing else really impressed me more or less than the other. But compared to the Minneapolis show this was great. I too wish there had been a few more performance boats. 16 days untell I leave for the Miami Show. Without a dought I will be impressed then.

BAD HTM SR 24 01-28-2002 11:18 PM

BOATME,it was nice to meet you,PAULEY,and PAYTON.I would of stuck around longer to talk with you but you were getting pretty busy.Looking forward to meeting more of you guys this summer.
TODD

G-Force 01-28-2002 11:18 PM

I am so peeved that I couldn't make the show. Vicodin had it's grip on me, (still does to a degree)...but I would have loved to have hooked up with you guys. Don't be too hard on the sales guys dudes... they have a tough job. hard to have a smiling face when you are miles from home, tired from last night, and knowing you have a few more days of the same sh!t in front of you.
But a sales person who doesn't know his product...eat 'em alive!

velocity260 01-28-2002 11:33 PM

I thought the show was nice, not its not miami but pretty good for the midwest. All the boats were nice eliminators were very nice, sunsations looked good. I agree on the powerquest guys one of them was very nice and chatted for 10min about boats in genral. Finally found velocity, was happy to see the new boats but was not impressed with the salesman,asked some questions he just played dum. One thing I keep shaking my head about was the line for the CARVER yachts booth, they are nice My dad has a 50'. But why was the line so long for them there not cadillac's just chevy's trying to be one.

32fever 01-29-2002 11:10 AM

Boatme,
Well, having at least one guy standing OUTSIDE the boat cockpit would help. If you sit in the cockpit and talk amongst yourselves, it's hard to break in a conversation to ask questions. Not that I'm buying a BT, but not impressed if I can't get questions answered at a boat show cause more than one rep for BT is talking to the SAME people in the cockpit of a boat for over an hour without saying hi to any people that come up. Not just us, but we watched others, too.

I know your job isn't easy, I've done shows, but I'd have to say that all (expect travis, maybe :D) board members work hard at their jobs. I've been to boat showrooms. Those guys wouldn't las working in my company long, no way do I let my employees stand around that much. Not saying you do, but many places I go into, they're not working all that hard.

I just wanted to ask some questionson OTW, but never got a chance, and we went away and came back a couple times throughout the show. You were in the cockpit the whole time, talking with the same people. Hope they bought a boat from you for all the time you spent on them.

I'm just trying to help I guess. I won't be back at Chicago. Not worth even a $3 entry fee with free parking. We'll just stick to Miami, much nicer folks there, and more to see.

NOt that you'll sell more boats or make any more money if you are more accepting to people, but you'll meet MORE people and not offend others if you just open yourselves up to talk to people other than those you already know. Which it seems you acknowledged guys you knew when they walked up, and said hi, but ignored the passers by looking at the boat, and people like us that had questions that would take a few minutes to answer, and we go away happy instead of feeling ignored. It would have been a nicer show had more of the boat booths people just said "hi, how you doing".

Hopefully knowing this info will only help in the future. I may not buy a BT now, but in 10 years, maybe, and I'll remember things like this when I do. How mayn others at the show are in that same scenario? Just pointing out the obvious. Looks like you enjoyed the show, and that's great.

Mark

Cord 01-29-2002 01:33 PM

BAD HTM SR 24-by any chance you were wearing a T-shirt regarding the recent accident with HTM?

Intolerant1 01-29-2002 04:57 PM

I can add that the new Rinker sport boat was ugly and way over priced at 62,000. I overheard the Baja salesman tell a prosective buyer that the new 40 footer would do 78mph as equiped (dont know what was in it).

BACK 4 MORE 01-29-2002 04:58 PM

575's

MrCIG 01-30-2002 09:26 AM

Boatme,
It was nice seeing you guys again, and we look forward to the Summer events you have planned.
I too work product shows once in awhile and they do get very boring.
Keep up the good work and hope everything works out for you.
Mark