Like Tree0Likes

Question on boat values

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM

My Boats: 1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
Default Question on boat values

I've got a question on boat values, & how to properly determine them. After purchasing my Donzi, I've been left with selling my Chaparral. I've looked on NADA to determine a fair asking price, I even looked on boat trader online to see comparable boats to come up with a value. I figuered to price it just under retail so it will move. I went to the Chaparral dealer & asked the salesman what a fair price would be...I was floored to hear him say I was about 4 - 5 thousand over what it's worth. I priced it under what NADA says, is there a different guide that is used for boat values? I made it clear to him that I was not trading it in, but looking for a good fair asking price....I don't want to give it away, but I do want to sell it, I hate to see a boat like this sit, but I'll keep it before I take what he is suggesting as a fair market value. A little insight on this would be a great help....
Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question on boat values

If you want to sell it....listen to the sales rep.
My 31 Formula booked out average retail with options (w/o trailer) for $64K. I ended up taking $53K w a new trailer to make it move. Basically you will end up at trade-in value on a clean boat selling to a private party. Otherwise you can wait until you get "book" money for it but it could take a year or more to find someone that wants it that bad.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

BTW: what model Chaparral do you have?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:07 PM

I may just hold onto it then, the wife had mentioned that she wouldn't mind keeping it. I'm just thinking that I then would have to build a bigger garage...Hmmmmm....perhaps I should think about this more ....It's a 2001 216 SSI, a great family boat, perfect for rivers & lakes, I use it out in the Gulf to run to the islands, I just pick my days to go when waves aren't too bad, anything above 3 is a rough ride.
Thanks for the input...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member

Check your PM's...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks, I'll send ya some pics this evening
Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1996 Wellcraft Scarab Sport & 1990 Donzi GT210

I rarely look at NADA. I have looked at some boats that are normallr priced way below NADA and I have looked at others that they want way over NADA. I have seen boats sell on both ends of the Spectrum. I am looking at a 1996 Scarab Sport cc right now. Nada says it's worth about 13k. I have seen older, run down ones sell for well over 13.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 AM

When I first started boat shopping, I used NADA, sort of as a guide. I found the Donzi, & it was priced a fair amount below what NADA value was. So, when I listed the Chaparral, I listed it just a bit below lo-retail, & not including the trailer value. The boat is in A+ condition, so I figured that would be a fair price, I was just suprised to hear that I'd most likely be holding on to it for a while with it priced, even below lo-retail, I don't get it.....I wish vehicles were that way, I've got my eye on an F250, which is certainly NOT priced below NADA
Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2003 Hustler Talon ,1997-TopGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick63 View Post
When I first started boat shopping, I used NADA, sort of as a guide. I found the Donzi, & it was priced a fair amount below what NADA value was. So, when I listed the Chaparral, I listed it just a bit below lo-retail, & not including the trailer value. The boat is in A+ condition, so I figured that would be a fair price, I was just suprised to hear that I'd most likely be holding on to it for a while with it priced, even below lo-retail, I don't get it.....I wish vehicles were that way, I've got my eye on an F250, which is certainly NOT priced below NADA
last Spring I listed my 90mph Topgun with new power, drives and trailer @ NADA book and in three months never received a call .
In Sept of 06 I dropped my price 25k less than book and was then inidated with offers for 25k less than my new asking price. I sold her in Dec for 34k less than book price.
Unless one is willing to sell @ true whole sale trade in price I see a ton of boats that will be still in these classifieds well into next Summer.Our boats are only worth the $ some one is willing to spend ,and in this economy I have seen that the true cash buyers are few and far between unless its true whole sale pricing.
Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 AM

That is definetly a reality I'm starting to adjust to. NADA is only a tool for the buyer, not a guide for the seller.... ....Thanks for the input....