Notices

Key West Run in April

Old 01-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key West Run in April

My family and I are planning to attend Key West run in April. I am new to offshore, 30 yrs experiance with jets and blown lake boats here in Arizona. Just purchased 99 38"AVS light layup Scarab. Our plans will be to attend poker run then Burmuda following. I would appreciate any input or suggestions any would have. I would also like to note if any individuals from this site will also be attending poker run and follow up trip to Burmuda.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: Key West Run in April

I have done the Key West run in November several times and assume the April run will have the same stops. I've always left from Miami if so top off with gas it a long run to Ohio Key. When pulling in for the lunch stop get to the fuel dock ASAP, my first time I got to Bahi Honda first and got docked in! I was the last to the gas dock and ran to Key West by myself. Get a GPS chip for the Keys and a chart will help. When they say single file they mean it ,follow in line!!!! They run inside down to Bahia Honda then outside to Key West. Have fun.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you haven't driven a go-fast boat in the open ocean before ------ Be careful. If you catch a day w/ large swells, they can bite quick. The Capitan can always throw even the most knowledgable passenger out of a boat.

Make sure you "team up" with a local boater who's doing the run that'll hang back with you in case the above scenerio happens to you.

Carry "extra's" (impellars, filters, props, 2 VHF's, battery powered GPS, duck tape etc....).

Watch out for the nutty "weekend warrior" captains who don't drive so well (or under control).

Make sure you've looked on the charts and have found the narrow channels in Biscayne bay as well farther southward. It'll be a long day if you're not prepared and try to duck into the channels at the last moment w/ 70+ other boats also fighting for position, and wind up on the Feather Beds etc....

And finally...... Have a great time!!!!!

Joe

P.S. I had a 99 38' Scarab ---- loved the boat. I still remember Stu Jones commenting how well it ran the last leg in the ocean (oh, and I made sure he knew it was pure driver ability! haha).

Joe
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by handreasen
My family and I are planning to attend Key West run in April. I am new to offshore, 30 yrs experiance with jets and blown lake boats here in Arizona. Just purchased 99 38"AVS light layup Scarab. Our plans will be to attend poker run then Burmuda following. I would appreciate any input or suggestions any would have. I would also like to note if any individuals from this site will also be attending poker run and follow up trip to Burmuda.

Umm, do you mean a trip to the Bahamas or a trip to Bermuda?

Bermuda is 580 miles directly east of North Carolina. I hope you have a big fuel tank.

The Bahamas is approximately 50-70 miles from Miami, depending on where you leave from, and plan to arrive in port.

Probably want to check the map before you make reservations.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-13-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Joe;1992537]Sounds like you haven't driven a go-fast boat in the open ocean before ------ Be careful. If you catch a day w/ large swells, they can bite quick. The Capitan can always throw even the most knowledgable passenger out of a boat.
Attached Thumbnails Key West Run in April-wave.jpg  
Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. Figured on spare components, hope to hook-up with some one with experiance to possibly sit second seat on the way down and back. (Any one intersested)?" Currently evaluating GPS and charts to familiarize myself prior to run. Yes, I did not mean Bermuda. Thanks again, any further suggestions would be appreciated.