Like Tree0Likes

How to keep the joy riders out?

Reply
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 PM
  #21
Registered User
 
BAJA WILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat
Posts: 3,300
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

As for deposits and such, I think it would depend on the buyer, obviously if some one drives a 100 miles or more to look at your boat, their serious. If some one asked me for a $1000 to just see if the motors run, I would laugh and walk. Also a test drive does not need to be long I would say 30 min max, by then they know if they are going to buy or not.

Case in point I looked at a 31 Scarab in 1999 drove from VA to SC to look at it (set an appointment time w/ dealer) had a certified check to buy and the dealer didn't even offer to start it up for me (note he advertised the motors as rebuilt). I just walked, their were too many other boats out there for me to give business to an azz.

Fine line to walk,

WILL
BAJA WILL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
  #22
Who Me?
Platinum Member
 
FeverMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tampa
My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Posts: 6,656
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Mike, I feel your pain neighbor! I'd think that somebady that is really interested in buying your boat would do a contract like others have mentioned. You need to qualify the potential buyer. Most will see that your boat is in like new shape and you could start it on the lift to prove it runs. If they are still interested then the contract, proof of money to purschase (ie finances). final deal would be a seatrial down the bay. Yes it's a lot of work selling a boat.
FeverMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
  #23
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
DRIVEN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Apollo Beach, FL.
My Boats: 2005 Fountain 47 Lightning is gone.
Posts: 662
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
I just looked at the pics , nah wouldn't pull those out. Easy fix, just sell the boat to Carter , take his cc on a trade.
Carter is one my neighbors and has been on the boat before. I don't think Mike would ever get a 47 if he got back into performance boats. He spends to much money on his car hobby now.
DRIVEN1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
  #24
Who Me?
Platinum Member
 
FeverMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tampa
My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Posts: 6,656
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
I just looked at the pics , nah wouldn't pull those out. Easy fix, just sell the boat to Carter , take his cc on a trade.
He would only have to move it down the canal! However if I was looking for a 47 fountain Driven's is one I'd like to own. If and when I sell my 38TE I am downsizing.
FeverMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 PM
  #25
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
DRIVEN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Apollo Beach, FL.
My Boats: 2005 Fountain 47 Lightning is gone.
Posts: 662
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Fountain View Post
As for deposits and such, I think it would depend on the buyer, obviously if some one drives a 100 miles or more to look at your boat, their serious. If some one asked me for a $1000 to just see if the motors run, I would laugh and walk. Also a test drive does not need to be long I would say 30 min max, by then they know if they are going to buy or not.

Case in point I looked at a 31 Scarab in 1999 drove from VA to SC to look at it (set an appointment time w/ dealer) had a certified check to buy and the dealer didn't even offer to start it up for me (note he advertised the motors as rebuilt). I just walked, their were too many other boats out there for me to give business to an azz.

Fine line to walk,

WILL
I have no problem dropping the boat in the water and starting all three motors for a buyer without a deposit.(boat is behind house). I just would not want to take a long sea trial and waste my time or money. I agree that how far they drive and if they know what the costs to insure and own a boat like this will help me decide if they are wasting my time.
DRIVEN1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM
  #26
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
DRIVEN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Apollo Beach, FL.
My Boats: 2005 Fountain 47 Lightning is gone.
Posts: 662
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike View Post
He would only have to move it down the canal! However if I was looking for a 47 fountain Driven's is one I'd like to own. If and when I sell my 38TE I am downsizing.
Any calls on the your boat? I have a guy that lives in St. Pete that owns a 34 open with trip 275s that wants to come see my boat next week. I need to sell the boat since I have the two houses and I have a contract to buy a new business that should close middle of February.
DRIVEN1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
  #27
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 View Post
How to keep the joy riders out?
Get this




or this


GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM
  #28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,495
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHene View Post
Have you been contacted by the low life looking for you to "donate" the boat for some insanely low amount and they will provide a donation reciept for some outrageously inflated figure

FYI-
The IRS closed that hole in '06. You get actual sale price as your value.
Chris Sunkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:40 PM
  #29
Who Me?
Platinum Member
 
FeverMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tampa
My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Posts: 6,656
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 View Post
Any calls on the your boat? I have a guy that lives in St. Pete that owns a 34 open with trip 275s that wants to come see my boat next week. I need to sell the boat since I have the two houses and I have a contract to buy a new business that should close middle of February.
No I have actually stopped advertising. I will put it back up just to see after the Miami show. That's when things really pick up. Your new house is looking awesome too, Lisa and drove the neighborhood the other day. Have you heard about all the seawall problems? We've hired a lawyer and inspector and going after Newland...long story you should stop by my house and see what's going on. What's up with the new business?
FeverMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:43 PM
  #30
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
DRIVEN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Apollo Beach, FL.
My Boats: 2005 Fountain 47 Lightning is gone.
Posts: 662
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike View Post
No I have actually stopped advertising. I will put it back up just to see after the Miami show. That's when things really pick up. Your new house is looking awesome too, Lisa and drove the neighborhood the other day. Have you heard about all the seawall problems? We've hired a lawyer and inspector and going after Newland...long story you should stop by my house and see what's going on. What's up with the new business?
They fixed the seawall behind my house last month. Yes the new house looks nice but it taking forever to build. I will have to talk about the new business in private since it has not closed yet. But when it does I will probably be buying something that I will join you at the track with. Thinking 911 turbo or the 2008 Viper with 600 hp or maybe a Noble
DRIVEN1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AppSysCons
General Boating Discussion
3
11-20-2007 09:38 AM
29scarab
General Boating Discussion
0
04-18-2007 10:03 AM
Strip Poker 388
General Boating Discussion
13
06-13-2006 01:17 PM
InsurancePro
General Boating Discussion
21
09-16-2004 01:39 PM
SR-24
General Boating Discussion
1
02-22-2002 05:58 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.