Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What would you rather set up your boat for? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/149851-what-would-you-rather-set-up-your-boat.html)

FeverMike 01-23-2007 09:42 PM

Re: What would you rather set up your boat for?

I have always set up my boats for the best cruise speed and fuel mileage. I hardly ever run at WOT and mostly cruise in the powerband of the engine.

for example my 29 Fountain with a HP500 and a labbed prop for top end would go right at 75mph. Cruise at 4200rpm was around 48mph. I had aprop done for the best cruise and hole shot and I lost 3 or so mph at top speed but at 4200rpm I would go 54mph.

another example is my 36 concept with twin 250efi's. Magazines tested this boat at 63mph WOT and crusied at 4000rpm at 37mph. I had my Concept set to run 4000rpm and 42mph but I would only hit 59-60 and top speed. My gas mileage improvemnet a lot though.

SUNSATION 25 01-23-2007 09:53 PM

Don't really care about top speed myself, I prefer good handling and acceleration..........my.02

Clay Washington 01-23-2007 10:25 PM

I would give up a few MPH on the top end in order to get a more responsive boat.

Chris Sunkin 01-24-2007 09:22 AM

If you wanted all-around comfortable boat handling, the lower pitch would be my preference. It would also give you better manageability around the docks, etc.

On the other hand, if you're a Reggie-ite who wants to play "who's got the biggest Johnson" at the poker run, then by all means, everything else is sacrificed for that final MPH.

TeamSaris 01-24-2007 04:16 PM

Thanks Again Guys

rush 01-24-2007 06:59 PM

I personly get the biggest thrill at full speed, but I certainly enjoy just cruiseing along at any speed. :D

StillHaulin@63 01-24-2007 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zudnic (Post 2002144)
Top end is not a factor, rough water offshore conditions are a must for me......

Agreed .....

There is rarely an opportunity to go full throttle when running offshore.
Even with somewhat subdued 2-3 seas, my little 232 catches big air about every 8-10 seconds.
Now ..... behind the breakwater is another story :D

Zudnic 01-24-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61 (Post 2003832)
Agreed .....

There is rarely an opportunity to go full throttle when running offshore.
Even with somewhat subdued 2-3 seas, my little 232 catches big air about every 8-10 seconds.
Now ..... behind the breakwater is another story :D

Not sure if any on OSO are familiar with Point Roberts, WA, crossing into the San Juans from there 2-3 seas are almost a daily occurance. As I suspect I'll see roughly the same when I move to Cali. Least I'm hoping for it!!!! :evilb: :D

Back4More 01-24-2007 10:30 PM

I kinda would lean toward the top end speed....in my world 3-5mph is huge.

StillHaulin@63 01-25-2007 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zudnic (Post 2003943)
Not sure if any on OSO are familiar with Point Roberts, WA, crossing into the San Juans from there 2-3 seas are almost a daily occurance. As I suspect I'll see roughly the same when I move to Cali. Least I'm hoping for it!!!! :evilb: :D

What part of California will you be moving to?
Check out the SCOPE video for an example of offshore 4-6' rollers which are above average in SoCal.
You can usually count on a 3-5" swell as normal.