Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !! >

The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Notices

The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Originally Posted by ultimate cat
That Can Be A Trying Ride .. Glad Everyone Is Safe.. In 2004 We Left Clearwater To Go To Kw For The Worlds..had Been Pulling Some Real Long Days Getting A 40' Skater Diesel Project Done,left At Around 7am With The Skater And My 36 Diesel Spectre..beautiful Ride Get Down Near Ft Myers.. Decide To Go Straight Across.not Realizing We Had The Wrong Way Point In The Gps.. We Accidently Set A South Wp Instead Of A North Wp..should Have Wondered Why It Kept Saying Like 3000 Miles To Destination.but Just Figured It Was Wrong..finally Reliazed Something Was Wrong When The Water Got Real Pretty Purple,and The Seas Got To Be A Good 6' Shortly After That Was When We Came Across A Huge ..and I Mean Huge Freighter..and We Thought That Shouldnt Be In Fl. Bay.about The Time We Seen The Lighthouse Off Of Cuba.. Is When The Coupler Went Out In The Port Motor Of The Spectre..mike Anderson And Mike Fosse Were In That Boat.. We Decided That If We Wanted To Get To Kw Before The Next Day , We Were Going To Have To Tow The Spectre Whic Only Had 1 Running Motor..so We Towed It At 55 Mph For About 60 Miles Through 6 Footers..anderson Was Having To Throttle The Boat..we Got Within Site Of Kw At About 8 Pm When The Skater Finally Ran Out Of Fuel.. It Was Agreat Trip Though One I Will Hopefully Never Forget..and A Great Story .. And Glad To Have Been Able To Share With My Friends....
That's why I never rely on a gps when running out of site of land. A gps is just a radio reciever, which can and sometimes does fail, whereas, I've never had a compass go out on me.

A friend of mine and some other buddie went from Clearwater to KW in a Wellcraft 3200 Costal. They figures somethng like 10 hours for the trip. It got rough as hell, one of the guys on the boat almost started crying. My cousin was on the boat, and the last four hours or so, they were afraid of running out of fuel before they'd reach KW. They had the CG calling to check on them every half hour. They did make it, but I am so damn glad I missed that trip. The same guy once made the same run with his wife. He ran aground somewhere just off the Keys. His wife was freaking, asking him what they were going to do. He said he was going below and get in bed until the tide came up.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Btw, the ten hour trip ended up taking something like 26 hours.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by florida gator
Clearwater Pass can get rough on a nice day
It's nothing compared to Pass a Grille inlet. That's the roughest inlet on the gulf coast in my opinion. I know a guy that stuffed a 38 Formula coming through there, and they weren't hauling ass either. Broke the windsheild, knocked out the driver, and almost sunk the boat. The guy said luckily it was kind of cool outside, so they had windbreakers on, or they would have been a whole lot more cut up.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

I think I read in the St Pete Times last year about some guys from Hernando Beach who rode wave runners to Key West.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

A paper Chart and a compass can come in very handy sometimes.