Notices

Dock Line Organization

Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dock Line Organization

How do you organized boaters keep your dock lines stored and knot free...and where? I didnt do so good a job last summer and purchased new lines anyway.....any ideas? Velcro straps, small bungie cords?

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 01-30-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
jtmiller02

Default Re: Dock Line Organization

i daisy chain all my lines...but then again on a parasail boat its a bit different, for any long rope though its a life saver

Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go to west marine and get some "wrap it up" velcro strips

this is how i keep mine when i need them in a pinch, otherwise i store them under the seat, but the wrap it up strips work great
Attached Thumbnails Dock Line Organization-img_0446-small-.jpg   Dock Line Organization-img_0443-small-.jpg  
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered

I use velcro straps on the oh chit handles on the backs of the seats and it works great.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you the best way to organize and manage your fenders!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilman
I use velcro straps on the oh chit handles on the backs of the seats and it works great.
Same here - been doing that for years - my buddies used to laugh at me but now they use them too...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

The Velcro on the grab handles works well, but not my choice.

The ATs have large gunwale compartments down the length of the sides of the cockpit. I can store 3 fenders in each side, and I also place three dock lines on either side, on the floor of the compartment openings. Starboard side is visible in this picture.

When pulling away from the dock, I usually just toss everything into the cockpit. My first mate does a great job of wrapping them around her arm like an extension cord, with a few center wraps with the end of the line. I don't do anything with the fender lines. I just insert them into the compartments with the end that the lines are attached to toward the bow, and the lines just fall into place on the floor of the compartment.

When you are a few hundred feet out from where you are about to tie up, it helps to pull out the fenders and lines you will need, and place them on the backseat, sunpad, deck, etc. where you will need them. This lends to not having to grab for them in a hurry, and getting them all tied into a massive knot.
Attached Thumbnails Dock Line Organization-im001569.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-31-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned two ways to store ropes. One from an electrician and one from a rock climber.

Electrician-
Lay out the rope to ensure it's not knotted. Grab the two ends. Start coiling between thumb and elbow. When you have about enough that 6" to a foot are left on the ground, start wrapping the remaining rope around the loops you made on your forearm. (remove from forearm first or be prepared for questions) With the last foot, loop it thru the top and pull those 2 ends down on it. You now have a rope that won't unfurl and has a hanging loop on it.

Rock Climber-

Lay rope out as before. Grab ends & double. If it's a long and not too thick rope, you can double it again. Grab the loop end about 8 or 10 inches down. Reach thru the loop and grab the ropes below your hand gripping the rope (making the main loop) and pull thru slightly. Reach thru the second loop you made and pull thru again, keep repeating until you're out of rope. At the end, pull the tails thru and tug until tight, knotting it off. To undo, all you have to do is take that last knot out and pull the tails- the whole thing falls apart instantly.

The best part of these two techniques is that neither twists the rope. The first one turns half the rope one way and the other in the opposite direction. The second doesn't twist at all. The second doesn't work well with large or stiff ropes though.

I'm sure Chapman is rolling over in his grave right now but these work the best for me.

One other thing- wash your ropes and make sure they're dry. Dirt wears them out from the inside and mold/mildew does them no favors either.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 01-31-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Very nice....I just got tired of asking people to stand up all the time so I could get under the bench seat and get rope or fenders. Usually took time to take the knots out of them too. Fenders now in front and ropes on sides. I might be picky, but I like things to be perfectly organized and in easy reach....especially when we go to tie up with others. And of course I have to redo others work b/c it doesnt satisfy me.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

For those that are doing the hanging from the seats method, be sure to wash the "new" lines before hanging them on white seats because they tend to bleed into the leather if you are not careful. I always loop them and wrap in the center with the last few feet of the line and the stowage is all up to my first mates, my 10 and 15 year old. I had someone try to rent them (my boys) from me at a dock in loto because they are so good at docking and tying the lines and bumpers. My job is just to get the boat there scratch free and they do the rest. Now they even do most of the driving!!!
Attached Thumbnails Dock Line Organization-img_0289.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dock Line Organization

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.