Notices

600sci experience?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Strip,
That's ok, the more adult beverages for us. And, yes my blowers have the sight glasses. And the oil is supposed to be 5-50wt syn, but what brand?
Thanks,
Dean
A few years back Dustin recommended cas.I usually have to tilt it forward and to the side to get all the oil out.I change mine once a year,I dont run hard and its still clear when I drain it,
Attached Thumbnails 600sci experience?-8020612_cst_06072_pri_larg.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strip,
That's ok, the more adult beverages for us. And, yes my blowers have the sight glasses. And the oil is supposed to be 5-50wt syn, but what brand?
Thanks,
Dean

This is what I have used (Castrol) I would check with the merc mechanics. I was told not to overfill it. Change once per year.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
A few years back Dustin recommended cas.I usually have to tilt it forward and to the side to get all the oil out.I change mine once a year,I dont run hard and its still clear when I drain it,
Thanks Rob, I see what I think is the drain plug, at the bottom of the of the unit, right behind the blower snout, dead center in the middle. I was thinking all I had to do was just lower the trailer jack all the down and off the block. Do you remove your whipples from the engine when you change your whipple oil?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Thanks Rob, I see what I think is the drain plug, at the bottom of the of the unit, right behind the blower snout, dead center in the middle. I was thinking all I had to do was just lower the trailer jack all the down and off the block. Do you remove your whipples from the engine when you change your whipple oil?
Thanks,
Dean
mine has a allen head plug on the facing it lh side front bottom,Tilting the boat will work good.The last 2 years Ive pulled the motors just to repolish all the aluminium stuff its gets water spots and condesation etc will tarnish the polished stuff.Gives me something to do in the winter

ya can barley see it top center of pick
Attached Thumbnails 600sci experience?-neworleans-race-8-2-08-011-large-.jpg  

Old 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Strip,
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm going to have to devise a little drain/funnel/catcher thing to catch the oil as it drains out. I'm also assuming that I fill 8 ozs or till I see it about 1/2 way up in the sight glass?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Strip,
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm going to have to devise a little drain/funnel/catcher thing to catch the oil as it drains out. I'm also assuming that I fill 8 ozs or till I see it about 1/2 way up in the sight glass?
Thanks,
Dean
I run mine half way,on the trailer and in the water

Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I run mine half way,on the trailer and in the water
Thanks Rob.
Dean
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What is the engine oil qty for this engine? Is it just like an HP500, since they both use a GM 502 block?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pick Up

Originally Posted by relaxalot
I bought the boat used with 32 hours on it. It was still under warranty. I did not find Mercury to be very helpful. the tell me the problem is that there were mufflers added to the boat. I tried running without them and had the same problems. There were a few 600's out there with the same problems. My mechanic and Dustin found the problem and solved it. They drilled out some holes on the nosecone, opened up some of the vertical holes and plugged the top three. I alos rerouted the water lines as per Dustin using a separate pickup. The outdrive only feeds the motor. Part of his kit includes some larger fittings to allow more water to flow. The problem was intermittent so it was difficult to track. The boat now runs great.
Relax,

What does your pick up look like and where is it installed? If it's produced by a specific manufacturer, I'd really like to get the specific details. Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What else I found this weekend is I BELIEVE I already have this Whipple product installed on my motors? I'm going to try to take some pics tonight.
Attached Thumbnails 600sci experience?-600sci_2_lg.jpg  

Quick Reply: 600sci experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.