Like Tree0Likes

Merc 850's and 1075's-ARE THEY RELIABLE

Reply
Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 PM
  #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
crb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
My Boats: Boatless in Htown
Posts: 1,140
Default

Jeff...I heard that the 1075 was a 75 hour rebuild. If you go thru Mercury Racing it will cost you about 25K a piece for them to go thru it. I donít know what the local engine shope is charging for the rebuild. The 850 is a little longer, I am thinking 100 to 150 hours. Go with the 700 package... One year warranty and 700HP at the prop!
crb76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
  #12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: PA USA
My Boats: Fast Boats , Fast Cars
Posts: 1,417
Default

My buddies 42 gtx has 1075's one lasted only 25hours before it puked, Merc told him it would take 6-8 weeks to rebuild it and they where subbing it out to Sterling. He didn't want his season to be over so he purchased a spare!
baja27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
  #13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja27 View Post
My buddies 42 gtx has 1075's one lasted only 25hours before it puked, Merc told him it would take 6-8 weeks to rebuild it and they where subbing it out to Sterling. He didn't want his season to be over so he purchased a spare!
These are the stories I have heard, not been very favorable. To be fair though, these were on all very , very, Hi-Perf. boats where they were entered in poker runs. We all know what the majority do on these runs, no different then my buddy would do. Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
  #14
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
My Boats: all
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja27 View Post
My buddies 42 gtx has 1075's one lasted only 25hours before it puked, Merc told him it would take 6-8 weeks to rebuild it and they where subbing it out to Sterling. He didn't want his season to be over so he purchased a spare!
A Complete rebuild on Merc 1075's is about $12,000.00- $13,000.00 each on average that I have done.
mrhorsepower1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM
  #15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb76 View Post
Jeff...I heard that the 1075 was a 75 hour rebuild. If you go thru Mercury Racing it will cost you about 25K a piece for them to go thru it. I donít know what the local engine shope is charging for the rebuild. The 850 is a little longer, I am thinking 100 to 150 hours. Go with the 700 package... One year warranty and 700HP at the prop!
That's what Im trying to get him to do. But at 700hp it will take 3 to do the same as 2-850's to achieve simuliar mph. Actually 3-600's would almost be the same mph as the 2 850's, but he swore not to have another bravo boat. Hell, I personally would be happy with 2 stag. 700's, less maitenance, safer speeds for me, less ins. and so on. But that's just me, I'm the guy usually last getting to the card stops, Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
  #16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 View Post
A Complete rebuild on Merc 1075's is about $12,000.00- $13,000.00 each on average that I have done.
That's very fair , what about the 850's. Thanks Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM
  #17
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,942
Default

maybe it's just me but that is an insane amount to have to send every 75-100 hours or at least once a season depending on where you boat. I would rather spend the money with JC, dean or Mark or someone and not have the Merc name and get 200 hours out of them.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 02-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
  #18
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
That's what Im trying to get him to do. But at 700hp it will take 3 to do the same as 2-850's to achieve simuliar mph. Actually 3-600's would almost be the same mph as the 2 850's, but he swore not to have another bravo boat. Hell, I personally would be happy with 2 stag. 700's, less maitenance, safer speeds for me, less ins. and so on. But that's just me, I'm the guy usually last getting to the card stops, Jeff
If you would get that boat finished you might not be last!
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
  #19
Registered
 
wrinkleface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Michigan
My Boats: NT 477!! Ilmors Baby!!!
Posts: 8,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
If you would get that boat finished you might not be last!
If he would clean up that AZZZZ end also!
wrinkleface is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
  #20
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkleface View Post
If he would clean up that AZZZZ end also!
I thought you were doing that when you go down to Miami.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Blonde Cig Chick
General Boating Discussion
44
07-10-2009 06:34 PM
TJ Bart
Fountain
31
02-22-2009 04:29 PM
maxonmike
General Q & A
10
04-26-2008 12:49 PM
LubeJobs42
General Boating Discussion
10
05-25-2006 07:39 PM
GS42fun
General Q & A
0
12-10-2005 01:07 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.