Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat title question? HELP! >

Boat title question? HELP!

Notices

Boat title question? HELP!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Can't you just have C make you a bill of sale. When I bought my boat they didn't have a title. So I made them give me a bill of sale. Then I just went to my home state and showed them a bill of sale with no sales tax. When I got it registered they charged me sales tax and made me a nice new title. All I needed was a bill of sale.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Can't you just have C make you a bill of sale. When I bought my boat they didn't have a title. So I made them give me a bill of sale. Then I just went to my home state and showed them a bill of sale with no sales tax. When I got it registered they charged me sales tax and made me a nice new title. All I needed was a bill of sale.
i was kind of wondering the same thing, but i also want to make sure there is no lien on the boat

does anyone know what organization you talk to in virgina to request a duplicate title, is it the DMV or the wildlife and gaming group?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I have had the same problem in the past. Contact a company in Ft. Lauderdale called Specialized Yacht Services. I have used them to do the title and documentation work on several boats and they are great. For the boat that had been title skipped, it did not cost much to have them to do a title search and do whatever they had to do to get a clear title in my name. It was well worth the expense to let them deal with the BS. They are very nice, professional and they do this kind of work every day. This link will show their address and phone number. It is at least worth a call.

http://www.fort-lauderdale-marine-di.../dir/s/821.php
Old 02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your dealing with tax issues.
If they will accept a bill of sale with no title you might be ok.
Even states that are, no title states, does noy mean you dont have paperwork.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

this guy might be able to help you, he answered some tax questions for me when I was documenting. I dont have his number, Larry Hart - Director of Boat Registration (VA) - email is [email protected]
Old 02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks Not Right-

i think thats going to be the place, i just called them however and the damn place is closed for presidents day, guess ill try again first thing tomorrow AM
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

I hate to say this but the easiest and best thing to do is buy a different boat with proper documentation. You could be walking into a hornet's nest. Why risk it?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

If the guy wants to sell the boat seems he would want to clear up the paperwork? What's up with that? Is the seller in Va? I'd tell him to get the title and if he does , buy it! After all he is getting paid for the boat right?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
I hate to say this but the easiest and best thing to do is buy a different boat with proper documentation. You could be walking into a hornet's nest. Why risk it?
I disagree. You are a buyer in the ordinary course of business. So it does not really matter if there is a lien on it or not. If the seller represented that there is no lien and he gives you a bill of sale. You should be able to get a new title free and clear. If the seller lies and ends up having a lien. The bank will be coming after the seller not the buyer in the ordinary course of business. The seller will be held liable for his lien because he will get the money to pay it off in the eyes of the bank. The bank is not going to come after someone whom they have no real information about, or even know how to get a hold of (buyer). The buyer in the ordinary course of business is protected. This is UCC 101 (uniform commercial code) if you want to do the research
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Move on, keep shopping.

Quick Reply: Boat title question? HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.