Notices

NXT Drive Problems ?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
Bagged,light lay-up, poker run interior etc,etc,etc, you know the drill !!! It might be done for Desert Storm ? My buddy Ralph is doing his at the same time with 1100 Teagues/Quads/#6's 80 to 130 mph at warp10 He's propping it like Jensons boat ,,,all acceleration I was in your boat with 6 blade Herrings,how do the Merc 38's compare?
Debut at Desert Storm Then they should be starting your boat early/mid March. I spoke to Ralph at the LA Boat Show. 1100 Teagues

The 36 6-blade Herrings were nice. Handling, acceleration, everything. The 38 5-blades are bigger wheels so acceleration was obviously not as good but still incredible.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ClownRoyal
Debut at Desert Storm Then they should be starting your boat early/mid March. I spoke to Ralph at the LA Boat Show. 1100 Teagues

The 36 6-blade Herrings were nice. Handling, acceleration, everything. The 38 5-blades are bigger wheels so acceleration was obviously not as good but still incredible.
Are you sure about 36's? I thought they were the 39's off of DeFree's MTI,, Ralph and I met you at Windsor with Dave that day you were trying props
Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for all this great info guys. I have ran side by side with the ilmors in an Advantage and they ran great but have been heavily discouraged by everyone (builders and boat dealerships) here in the midwest to go Ilmor because they are so difficult to service and get parts. Is this true or is it going to be a problem(tools, access to parts, shipping, etc.)? thanks again Hammer
Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Registered

Are you sure about 36's? I thought they were the 39's off of DeFree's MTI,, Ralph and I met you at Windsor with Dave that day you were trying props
They were staggered 6-blade 36 Herrings. Yes, they are one of many sets of DeFrees's race props. That same day we also tried a pair of 6 3/4 5-blade Merc 39's.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, thats when I did the side by side comp, the 700's also compensate for alltitude,,,I go to Lake Tahoe for a month in the summer 6300 ft, the 700's compensate to 4400 to around 4800 ft, I dont know if the 600's also do that
600s are the same with altitude compensation.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered

They were staggered 6-blade 36 Herrings. Yes, they are one of many sets of DeFrees's race props. That same day we also tried a pair of 6 3/4 5-blade Merc 39's.
so the final result was 16,5X38 Mercs? how was the midrange hit?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
Thanks for all this great info guys. I have ran side by side with the ilmors in an Advantage and they ran great but have been heavily discouraged by everyone (builders and boat dealerships) here in the midwest to go Ilmor because they are so difficult to service and get parts. Is this true or is it going to be a problem(tools, access to parts, shipping, etc.)? thanks again Hammer
there seems to be better Illmor/dealer support on the west coast,probably because there is more of them here. when they had the valve issues last summer I have to give Illmor credit that they really stepped up to the plate and sent out factory techs direct to handle the problems unlike Merc. I had a 07 38 Fountain with t-525's last summer and the port engine oil filter came loose @ around 5000rpm there was aprox 3 oz of oil left in that motor when I drained it and had it sent out for analylization, Merc says " run it and see what happens" this is 1 week before I go on vacation to Tahoe for 4 weeks .HOW WOULD YOU FEEL after spending 250k cash on a boat and 20k for my rental ?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

so the final result was 16,5X38 Mercs? how was the midrange hit?
Not bad at all. Mid-range is still phenominal. It is all about what you want. I would experiment with as many props you can get your hands on.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Not bad at all. Mid-range is still phenominal. It is all about what you want. I would experiment with as many props you can get your hands on.
are you hitting the rev-limiters? who's got props? Dave ,,,I dont know?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Cool

Between 6 Illmors takin a s*** at Desert Storm and other issues I'm not a fan, in regards to the power loss @ high temps its a well known fact in the Lake Havasu area that from july thru aug you better re-prop and I personally lost 7mph, I called Illmor and I basically was told it was normal in our extreme temps 115 to 120 is the norm, I did a side by side comparison on 2 exact boats, 1 with an Illmor package and 1 with a 600 merc, the only advantage performance wise was rpm potential on the Illmor setup 6000 rpm/limiter versus 5375-5400 rpm on the merc 600, the merc had a much better midrange hit and I,m expecting my new 700's will clean up on the Illmor 700's in the same hull, fully bagged,carbon fiber/ kevlar layup in a 32 cat,,, IMHO
Just dealing with theories. The reason for the big power loss on bad air days is due to the 3.960 stroke and 9.6:1 cr ratio and no way to change that no matter what the barometric psi of the day is. I know the 710 ILmor is a 10:1 motor in which is one of the reasons for a higher rpm. What mercury racing has is a boost bypass control system. In which it can vary the boost psi on the MAP reading. Basically make better air for you on a bad air day (115-120 degree weather, altitude.) You have to look at where the peak hp numbers are. 5800rpm vs mercs 5300 on their 600sci. Spinning a motor past its peak hp number is usually not gaining any results other than telling you that you need more prop. This is why peak hp numbers are critical. However, you have to have enough torque to get you their. In which can vary on the amount needed from a cat vs a V-hull. What is the point of a 6000rpm potential if the boat is to heavy to get you their because the motor does not make enough torque or you have to put a prop on that is so small that it does not even make sense.
What I have noticed is the Ilmors show their true colors in the cats. Reason is cats propel off of peak hp numbers.
The 700sciNXT or #VI package is a well developed package. I saw some early transmission probelms. In which Mercury Racing has taken care of. Just like anything keep on top of service and having an individual who knows the product maintain it. The Penske Ilmors have been good motors also. Food for thought. The 710 Ilmors have gone to stronger internals, why would they do that are they thinking about going blown for bigger hp #'s. However, complete packages are important in this business.
Thanks, Cam-shaft. Hopefully you were able to read all of it.

Quick Reply: NXT Drive Problems ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.