Like Tree0Likes

NXT Drive Problems ?

Reply
Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 PM
  #1
BRD
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mentor , Ohio
Posts: 429
Default NXT Drive Problems ?

Whats the real scoop on all the "problems" we have been hearing about with these drives ?
BRD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale
My Boats: 2009 DCB 35/1075's
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD View Post
Whats the real scoop on all the "problems" we have been hearing about with these drives ?
Ive done a lot of research on this with Merc and some builders that I know personally and the only challange I know of is with Fountains and some Outerlimits that the X-dimension is so high that the NXT-1 drive runs a little short on rudder/skeg length and thats when they go to the 6 drive married to the NXT-1 gimbal/ trans set-up, they dont use the 6 drive trans for these applications, there has been only 1 drive issue to date that I'm aware of and that was a bearing failure, there were trans issues at first but that was taken care of early on, I'm told by my builder that Merc is coming out with a longer skeg for the drive for certain applications .I hope this info is correct,,,my cat is getting laid up in 2 weeks
Bottomfeeder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 PM
  #3
Registered
 
DaveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toms River, NJ
My Boats: 2004 36 Concept
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
Ive done a lot of research on this with Merc and some builders that I know personally and the only challange I know of is with Fountains and some Outerlimits that the X-dimension is so high that the NXT-1 drive runs a little short on rudder/skeg length and thats when they go to the 6 drive married to the NXT-1 gimbal/ trans set-up, they dont use the 6 drive trans for these applications, there has been only 1 drive issue to date that I'm aware of and that was a bearing failure, there were trans issues at first but that was taken care of early on, I'm told by my builder that Merc is coming out with a longer skeg for the drive for certain applications .I hope this info is correct,,,my cat is getting laid up in 2 weeks

Correctamundo.........and Mercury as always is being EXTREMELY proactrive in working with Outerlimits and Fountain to resolve any issue there may be.

They have also bolted some #6's to the NXT gimbals.

The 700 pkg works fantastic on the Donzi ZR's. I was on a 700 boat in November through the FL Keys and it handled like a dream.
DaveP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 AM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale
My Boats: 2009 DCB 35/1075's
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Correctamundo.........and Mercury as always is being EXTREMELY proactrive in working with Outerlimits and Fountain to resolve any issue there may be.

They have also bolted some #6's to the NXT gimbals.

The 700 pkg works fantastic on the Donzi ZR's. I was on a 700 boat in November through the FL Keys and it handled like a dream.
I was also informed from a Merc rep that the HP is more like 760+ which makes sense on the speed numbers Im getting on some west-coast boats 137mph in a "Lake Boat" is ok with me,,125 in a 36 Nortech, the 662's in the Nortech at Miami is in the 112 range
Bottomfeeder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM
  #5
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default

Why not just go with Konrad drives? They have a tremedous proven track record.
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 AM
  #6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
Why not just go with Konrad drives? They have a tremedous proven track record.
resale, its what the market percieves as better. Merc motor, Merc drive..
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:34 AM
  #7
Registered
 
DaveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toms River, NJ
My Boats: 2004 36 Concept
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
Why not just go with Konrad drives? They have a tremedous proven track record.
Once you go BLACK you never want to go back
DaveP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,094
Default

In talking with the mechanics @ Typhoon, I was told that there was a water pick-up issue with some boats high x-dimension and they had to add a low water pick-up. Other than that it appears to be a bullet proof package.
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM
  #9
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member
 
pm203's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MA and NH
Posts: 3,615
Default

Can't the manufacturers drop the X dimension for these applications?
pm203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
  #10
Registered
 
super termoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 647
Default

they sure can but between fountain and outerlimits, every mph counts...

BTW, this drive fails to excite me. same old stuff, the idea behind it is 50+ years old. It still has all the disadvantages of the #6 without some of the advantages of a cone clutch drive. It doesn't push the envelope in any way...
super termoli is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Cigaretteman
General Boating Discussion
11
11-09-2007 10:59 PM
Mike Paula
General Q & A
10
06-19-2006 10:27 PM
Chris288
General Boating Discussion
17
06-11-2004 09:31 PM
dyno
General Boating Discussion
19
08-12-2003 09:37 AM
mjordan
General Q & A
2
07-23-2003 10:35 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.