Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pantera 24 vs. Velocity 260 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/152286-pantera-24-vs-velocity-260-a.html)

Michael1 02-25-2007 11:56 PM

Pantera 24 vs. Velocity 260

I'm checking out some used boats, and was wondering how the Pantera 24 compares to the Velocity 260 (really about a 24 footer without swim platform). Performance, rough water handling (wave crushing), and durability are important to me.

Thanks,

Michael

littledcsrodshop 02-26-2007 12:05 AM

For a 24 footer you will not beat a Pantera for roughwater & durability. As far as performance goes I am not shure of the weight of a 26 Velocity ect.. But the Velocity with equal power may be a bit faster. However in the rough that may or may not be differant. I would recomend looking at them both & seeing wich one best fits your personal needs out of a boat.

Dude! Sweet! 02-26-2007 12:13 AM

Michael, if you're interested in seeing a 24 Pantera, I've got an older one and I'm happy to meet up in Long Beach when I'm out some time. My boat is 27 years old and it's still rock solid inspite my best efforts to sink it. It's the smallest boat I'd ever run in the Pacific.

No experience with the Velocity, though. My buddy had a 29 Warlock and said that it was a very rough ride in the Ocean.

haulinvols 02-26-2007 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2038854)
I'm checking out some used boats, and was wondering how the Pantera 24 compares to the Velocity 260 (really about a 24 footer without swim platform). Performance, rough water handling (wave crushing), and durability are important to me.

Thanks,

Michael

I have been in both and as far as rough water handling and durability, Pantera is pretty hard to beat in the 24 foot range. As said above, the Velocity will be a faster boat with the same power. Pantera has built their reputation on rough water durability.

Michael1 02-27-2007 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! (Post 2038863)
Michael, if you're interested in seeing a 24 Pantera, I've got an older one and I'm happy to meet up in Long Beach when I'm out some time. My boat is 27 years old and it's still rock solid inspite my best efforts to sink it. It's the smallest boat I'd ever run in the Pacific.

That sounds great! I would love to get a ride in a Pantera 24. Pretty funny about trying to sink it, too!

I'll PM you with my contact info.

Thanks!

Michael

fountain333 02-27-2007 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well i have to say pantera for shur! great rough water boat and well mine is fast and it just so happends that its up for sale! Check out the classifieds!

fountain333 02-27-2007 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic sorry had a malfunction

FeverMike 02-27-2007 06:05 PM

Pantera for sure! Pantera builds a solid stout boat.

Michael1 03-01-2007 11:32 PM

I had an nice conversation with Dave at Velocity Boats. I asked him why the hull warrantee was void if you put in an engine other than the stock power. He said the warrantee will only apply if the increased power is installed at the factory. The reason was they use different stringers depending on engine horsepower. I never realized boat companies did this, unless it was a race boat, and even then not for the engine. He also said there would be a different X-dimension.

When I posed the same question to Jo at Pantera, he said it was no problem putting in bigger power later. They said all their boats are "over-built".

Michael

FeverMike 03-02-2007 12:27 AM

Does this come to mind?:D

Dude! Sweet! 03-02-2007 12:51 AM

That "potato chip" term makes me laugh every time I hear it... Two comments about Pantera - 1. the Nunez's strike me as the kind of people who'd put their money where their mouth is. and 2. when you build a boat like they build a Pantera, you don't have to worry too much about backing your mouth up with money, the boat does all the taking!

Awesome people who build an awesome boat.

Shore Thing 03-02-2007 08:04 AM

Man mike, did a velocity bang your mother or something? Every thread asking about velocity you have to slam them.

Pantera makes a good boat. Very solid, good rough water ride and should last a long time. Caters more towards the type of guy that wants to go out and beat the tar out of themselves in the rough.

Velocity makes a good boat too. Not as good in the rough, but faster due to its pad bottom. Its a trade off. Also, the velocity will be a more family friendly setup inside. The velocity is a true drivers boat, most people who dislike the way they ride, don't know how to drive them properly. Make sure you get a test drive with someone who knows what they are doing.

As for the potato chip comments. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

mr_velocity 03-02-2007 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shore Thing (Post 2044203)
Man mike, did a velocity bang your mother or something? Every thread asking about velocity you have to slam them.

Nah, they just kicked his a$$ all over the race course in E-class. Then he claimed they cheated, now he just bashes them.

FeverMike 03-02-2007 09:07 AM

Just having fun...boy you Velocity guys sure have thin skin! You could never be a Fountain owner.:D

Heon, you know better you should have thick skin from the old day, bud!

Yes the 24 Velocity race lay up no cabin purpose built boat was much faster than the pleasure boats that I and others were running in E-Class...it was proven with all the weight they had to add that the 24 Velocity never weighted 4800lbs when they raced me and other boats in E-Class...then the 29 Warlocks came and took care of Velocity.

Basically between the 2 boats mentioned in this thread the Pantera is the smooth running, hardcore, classic looks, stout built boat and the Velocity is the thinner layup, light weight ,big running pad hull and faster in calm water boat. It really depends on the water you are running.

2 Trick Rick 03-02-2007 09:56 AM

26 Velocity from the Worlds at Destin. :eek:

Stormrider 03-02-2007 10:35 AM

ahhh, that just needs alittle touch up paint. ;)

Shore Thing 03-02-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2044267)
Just having fun...boy you Velocity guys sure have thin skin! You could never be a Fountain owner.:D

In a thread where someone is looking for information for purchasing a boat, this kind of bashing is innapropriate.

Had this thread been a fun spirited, "my D is bigger than your D" post, then absolutely make fun all you want. I can certainly take it. I don't work for velocity, hell I wouldn't even say i have brand loyalty. I purchase what I feel suites my needs and fits my budget. this time it was a velocity, next time it could be a hustler or a formula or a sea-ray. who knows.

The point is, in my experience of reading your posts, you don't seem to know the difference between an informative thread and a just for fun thread.

Stormrider 03-02-2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2038854)
I'm ...wondering how the Pantera 24 compares to the Velocity 260...Performance, rough water handling (wave crushing), and durability are important to me.

Thanks,

Michael

Rough water handling: Pantera
Durability(due to rough water handling): Pantera

That answers your questions.

FeverMike 03-02-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shore Thing (Post 2044367)
In a thread where someone is looking for information for purchasing a boat, this kind of bashing is innapropriate.

Had this thread been a fun spirited, "my D is bigger than your D" post, then absolutely make fun all you want. I can certainly take it. I don't work for velocity, hell I wouldn't even say i have brand loyalty. I purchase what I feel suites my needs and fits my budget. this time it was a velocity, next time it could be a hustler or a formula or a sea-ray. who knows.

The point is, in my experience of reading your posts, you don't seem to know the difference between an informative thread and a just for fun thread.

Geesh...you cry like a little boy...take a dang chill pill and thicken up your skin some. Go bash on Fountain some with everyone else if ya like, we can take it!:drink:

TexomaPowerboater 03-02-2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2044808)
Geesh...you cry like a little boy...take a dang chill pill and thicken up your skin some. Go bash on Fountain some with everyone else if ya like, we can take it!:drink:

LOL:D

Sick Stinger 03-02-2007 06:18 PM

Hey fever mike ur right i totally agree you guy can take it. you guys take it very wel from what they tell me. Ill make sure the lube is used next time unless u like the ruff stuff

Padraig 03-02-2007 07:07 PM

Mike always says that it is just in fun but after seeing the same s**t for years I tend to see him as a whining poor loser. The problem is that the new members don't know this. Time to get over it Mike, be a big boy now.

FeverMike 03-02-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Padraig (Post 2044878)
Mike always says that it is just in fun but after seeing the same s**t for years I tend to see him as a whining poor loser. The problem is that the new members don't know this. Time to get over it Mike, be a big boy now.

Actually and Mr Velocity knows this...he and I have been going back and forth about Velocity since 1997...way before I ever raced. Chill and have some fun...have you visited the Fountain forum lately?:drink:

Revd Up 03-02-2007 11:01 PM

The pantera is very heavy and a great rough water boat. It all depends on what kind of water you usually run in. If the water is that rough you need a bigger boat anyway. I think if you compare the two, the Velocity offers much more. I love how mine runs in the rough, and like everyone else said .....It's a lot FASTER.

mikes280 03-03-2007 09:20 AM

both boats are killer the pantera is a much smaller boat then the velocity , less freeboard, smaller cabin and a 6.7 i thank beam where the velocity is 8.3 feet .so yes the pantera will do well in the rough but the velocity will be faster, burn less fuel with same power and i can promess you i don,t not want to be in a 24 pantera much over 80 mph but a 26 velocity no problem and yes i have driven both in rough and smoth water.Alsio try to get in the back and work on a 24 pantera unless you are a midget you won't be able to get back there........ Hey Mike i see you are still here oh he could buy a 29 ft fountain that would give you a 24 footer

FeverMike 03-03-2007 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mikes280 (Post 2045254)
both boats are killer the pantera is a much smaller boat then the velocity ....... Hey Mike i see you are still here oh he could buy a 29 ft fountain that would give you a 24 footer

Very true, the Velocity is a deeper and bigger boat. The 29 Fountain is more like driving a 26' boat minus the swim platform and beak but room wise it compares to the 28 Pantera better or the 290 Velocity. It is not as shallow as the 24 Pantera. I really liked the 29 Fountain I use to own. The guy that bought from me now has it back up for sale in the classifieds.

JUPITER PULSARE 03-03-2007 11:15 AM

Ok, let's throw a monkey wrench into the equation. How about a 25' Active Thunder?? Great rough water ride, tall freeboard, huge cabin, F1 proven and fast!!! I've driven all three boats and can say the Thunder is tops!!

VelocityMark 03-03-2007 11:27 AM

Like the other guy said you need to go and ride in booth boats, with someone that knows how to drive each of them. As far as building them different for more power. I don't know where Dave got that info from because I had the same conversation with Steve Steep before I put 900+ HP in my 280and he told me the only differance would be that they would use solid motor mounts which I added. The 260 is a lot bigger boat than a 24 Pantera.

Sick Stinger 03-03-2007 11:51 AM

Mark your right the 26 is alot bigger and a better ride i beleive just because of the fact of the free board. Like i said love the looks style and ride of a pantera but i must go with the velocity not because o have one but beacuase of over all statistics and exsperience

mikes280 03-03-2007 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE (Post 2045374)
Ok, let's throw a monkey wrench into the equation. How about a 25' Active Thunder?? Great rough water ride, tall freeboard, huge cabin, F1 proven and fast!!! I've driven all three boats and can say the Thunder is tops!!

i agree with everything but fast it is not as fast as the velocity with same power

Michael1 03-04-2007 03:12 PM

When was the last time Active Thunder built the 25? I don't see it on their website anymore. I don't know if I can trust their website, though, because their Flash intro says "2003"!

Michael

cosmic12 03-04-2007 03:43 PM

A.T. doesn't build the 25 anymore I think the last one was around 99. It was and still is one of the best big water boats in the size range, Fast with alot of freeboard and a useable cabin. Pat stopped building it because of the 28 and the difference in costs didn't make sense to keep it going.

Sick Stinger 03-04-2007 03:58 PM

I know a guy with a bad azz 25 with a 650 h.p 572 all done with exstention box. 40K firm 25 98 At Tatrum called Chaous

BJM 03-04-2007 05:10 PM

What did a 25 Active Thunder prove in F-1? I know Gordo use to race one. That's all I know

links 03-04-2007 05:36 PM

I am thinking I like the 30 Activator!! Big #'s with single power and I am sure it will handle big water as well!! Besides I am partcial to "ORANGE" :cool:

JCPERF 03-04-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by links (Post 2046485)
I am thinking I like the 30 Activator!! Big #'s with single power and I am sure it will handle big water as well!! Besides I am partcial to "ORANGE" :cool:

And where have you been?:drink:

links 03-04-2007 05:47 PM

I have been just sitting here for the last few months wondering why I sold my Velocity and bought an Outerlimits when I coulda had the little green boat that could! I like the little green boat!!:D

JCPERF 03-04-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by links (Post 2046496)
I have been just sitting here for the last few months wondering why I sold my Velocity and bought an Outerlimits when I coulda had the little green boat that could! I like the little green boat!!:D

Word has there will be a fleet of Activators down your way this Summer:drink:

links 03-04-2007 06:08 PM

I have been thinking about taking on the Activator boat line, I think they would do well in this area! as long as I dont have to stock a ton of them! Do you know anyone that could supply motors??:rolleyes: