Florida residents, Question >

Florida residents, Question

Notices

Florida residents, Question

Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Florida residents, Question

Can anyone shead any info. on a law requiring a permit to tow anything over 26 feet into and out of Florida. This law is being shown on the NHRA site for racers going to Gainesville. Does it effect Motorhomes pulling trailers?? Any info. would be appreciated. Roger
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I race sports cars and I doubt all the out of towners I see at the tracks got a permit for their towing.
However, here's a link and what I think is the pertinent section. As long as the overall is less than 65ft you shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...316/Sec515.HTM

(a) Straight trucks.--No straight truck may exceed a length of 40 feet in extreme overall dimension, exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads. A straight truck may tow no more than one trailer, and such trailer may not exceed a length of 28 feet. However, such trailer limitation does not apply if the overall length of the truck-trailer combination is 65 feet or less, including the load thereon. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, a truck-trailer combination engaged in the transportation of boats, or boat trailers whose design dictates a front-to-rear stacking method shall not exceed the length limitations of this paragraph exclusive of the load; however, the load may extend up to an additional 6 feet beyond the rear of the trailer.

Last edited by handfulz28; 03-02-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never heard of this.. i think its BS... I DO have a commecrial lic.. and have never heard of this.. only thing they look at it weight on the trailers, 10K and above is CDL A class.. and thats only for commecial puposes. Personal, nothing needed.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Gainesville travelers: Florida over-length information
3/2/2007

NHRA has been informed by the Interstate Registration Service that Florida is requiring any vehicle with an overall length (truck and trailer) of more than 65 feet or a trailer length of more than 28 feet to have a Special Road Use Permit to enter and to leave Florida.

According to the Florida Department of Transportation Office of Maintenance Permit Office, the state is checking trailer length, kingpin settings, and overall length of all vehicle and trailer combinations (semi-trailer length, straight truck-trailer combination, bus combination, and non-commercial vehicle combinations).

Florida law provides for a penalty of $250 per foot over length, not to exceed $1,000, per vehicle for any vehicle that does not have an overdimensional road-use permit.

To contact the Florida Department of Transportation Office of Maintenance Permit Office, call (850) 410-5777 or Patti George, Interstate Registration Service, (800) 383-5829, ext. 1.

To obtain a PDF copy of the State of Florida Overdimensional Roaduse Permits, go to http://www.fdotmaint.com/permit/.

For a PDF copy of the State of Florida Commercial Motor Vehicle Manual, go to http://www.dot.state.fl.us/mcco/pdf/...ion%202006.pdf.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Registered

NOTE the date on my previous post. Roger
Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Registered

It also says NON-COMMERCIAL vehicles.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Since I travel to car shows in Fl., I just called this number 1-850-410-5777 and was told that if your overall rig, commercial or NOT, was over 65 feet in length you will need a permit. ALSO if the trailer you are pulling is OVER 28 feet in length you WILL need a permit. You can obtain one for a single trip or one for a year. You WILL need to go into the first weight station and show your permit and if they tell you that you do not need to stop, get the officers name and badge number for future use in case you get stopped later. Roger
Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger

Just send the Bald guy , He`ll do it.

Mike
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, That sucks
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pulled horse trailers and boat trailers, over 26 feet, in and out of Florida for 10 plus years and only have to stop for the horses health papers. No one has ever stopped me for length of trailer.

Quick Reply: Florida residents, Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.