Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
An ethical question about a sale. >

An ethical question about a sale.

Notices

An ethical question about a sale.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally I agree with all the people that says set a deadline and he doesn't pay you in full and pick it pick before the deadline, then I would suggest he has lost his deposit.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by cariveau
I would suggest you be very careful. My daughter had someone overseas do the exact same thing after the E-bay ad on her truck expired. We did a bunch of research to track things down because it just didn't seem right. Turns out it was part of a sophisticated SCAM. Never do any business outside of E-bay if someone approaches you in the way they did. It is almost always a SCAM so don't take the risk.

I would suggest you sell the car to someone else and tell the guy you have his deposit waiting for him if he comes to pick it up in person. Don't meet him at your home. I'll bet you won't see him again. That $2,000 is working capital from some other poor guy that got suckered. THat is the bait to make you think it is real.

Good luck.
As far as this car sale, set date a week or 10days out, no show means no deposit return.

Don't be so quick to judge outside ebay sales, I have bought more stuff outside ebay than actually through ebay. My last was a 15 Whaler, guy delisted boat for me and I picked it up 3 days later. I didn't want the boat to get away/ bid up by non existent bidder and he didn't want the hassle of non paying bidder. I picked it up in person and paid cash at a local boat ramp. Both seller and I were honest with each other and deal went great.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the 2K and send it back to the bank were it came from, than re-list the car telling the “almost buyer” that his limited contact with you made you feel uncomfortable about finishing the purchase.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
As far as this car sale, set date a week or 10days out, no show means no deposit return.

Don't be so quick to judge outside ebay sales, I have bought more stuff outside ebay than actually through ebay. My last was a 15 Whaler, guy delisted boat for me and I picked it up 3 days later. I didn't want the boat to get away/ bid up by non existent bidder and he didn't want the hassle of non paying bidder. I picked it up in person and paid cash at a local boat ramp. Both seller and I were honest with each other and deal went great.

I'm glad to hear you made a good purchase without getting burned. I just wanted to point out an example of the many known SCAMS that feed off of e-bay that have tricked very smart honest people.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that there are a lot of scams out there with ebay weather you buy , or sell through the auction or outside the auction. I have also bought & sold outside the auction in the past. I try to just be cautious in any deal I make with just about anybody I have never meet , I usually just meet them somewhere & exchange good ole cash. I was very reluctant to even make this deal at all , I told him the only way I would even do it is if he sent me a large deposit & that it had to fully clear the bank of course , then when he came to pick it up it would be U.S. cash in hand.
I have thought & thought about the scam thing over & over because he was very persistent in the begining ( calling & emailing real often ) & he was also not concerned at all about sending me money. he told me he wanted it before I even gave him the final price. So money was no concern to him. which tends to raises a flag for me , unless I know them or know of them.
What gets me is that the check has been completly cleared at the bank for
several months. I had my banker check it out in detail about 12 days after the deposit. She tracked some #'s down & called the bank that It was payable through in the U.S. & they said that the funds were good. (it originally came from Iceland but was payable through a U.S. bank ) So The 2k is good. This isn't a high dollar car so his deposit was a large % of the total. I guess what I am getting at is if it was a scam Who's money was the 2 K ?? his or someone else's ?

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 03-03-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell you what ill do, I will give you 3K for it right now
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Tell you what ill do, I will give you 3K for it right now
better yet Why don't we just trade it for that # 6 hanging off the back of your boat.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

The fact that he tried to contact you makes it seem legit. Maybe he's had problems or is just using you for storage and figures the big deposit should buy him some time.

Does his phone have voice mail? If so, call him and set a deadline- tell him you will refund his money minus a hassle/storage fee and relist it. Four months is long enough.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Wow !! The power of OSO is getting Scary ! j/k
I just got off the phone with him & he says he has a flight booked to come over on th 12th of this month & he will be @ my shop on the 13-14th to pick it up with cash in hand.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I gave him a kind but high pressure email late last night ( but I still say it is the power of OSO working incognito. ) Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to this & I will keep you guys informed. Although you will know things are going well if you see a post entitled. I finally have an outdrive coming !!!!
Also if any body needs a Big Block 440 Chryler send me a PM
because he says he wants me to keep the motor for my trouble & the fact that he said he would have much more trouble getting it through customs with the motor in the car. He still wants the 727 tranny & the over / underdrive unit.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the boat running?

Quick Reply: An ethical question about a sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.