Congrats to Stu Jones - Florida Powerbat Club >

Congrats to Stu Jones - Florida Powerbat Club

Notices

Congrats to Stu Jones - Florida Powerbat Club

Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Dave, I saw the article they did on you in the new issue of Poker Runs America. I showed the article to my wife, she said; "Oh yeah, I remember him, he's a nice guy."
Thanks Frank - my daughter brought the article into Kindergarten to show her teacher (a female) and the teacher noticed the Cigarette Ad inside the cover with the naked chick and "turning boys into men since 1969."

My wife said to me "nice going daddy!"

Oh well - F----'em if they can't take a joke!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what a refreshing change to read people here agreeing with what Stu did. One year ago and the same type of post would have read" F Stu. I pay my money to go run fast and screw everyone else" or "no one is gonna tell me what to do" etc.etc. I personally got chewed for suggesting speed limits, DQ's for offenders etc. Nice to see people realizing that if we don't fix our problems, we are doomed to extinction.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
Thanks Frank - my daughter brought the article into Kindergarten to show her teacher (a female) and the teacher noticed the Cigarette Ad inside the cover with the naked chick and "turning boys into men since 1969."

My wife said to me "nice going daddy!"

Oh well - F----'em if they can't take a joke!
Now that is funny!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
I'm sorry but myself and almost all of the organizers around teh country disagree. The new communication between the organizers is very important. It helps identify participants that are troublemakers, out right a$$holes or people who do dumb sh*t. The incidient with Mark at the Miami Run falls under #3. I like Mark and have known him for quite a few years but I have a responsibility to protect myself, the other participants in the event as well as our reputaiton with the local police and USCG.

If 98% of the people on the Miami Run listed to Stu and Brad but 2% did not - what is a good reason why?

Fell asleep at the drivers meeting or wanted to be "out front" and to be the LEAD DOG??? Stupidity leads to the be "out front" and to be the LEAD DOG thought process.

I DO AGREE that we should not automatically ban someone immediately and will reverse my position on that from my original statement after talking to Stu and several other organizers yesterday.

At NJPPC, in the past we have always used the 1st Warning Rule and then 2nd offense leads to dismissal. If an offended shows no remorse when the incident is addressed with him/her and they have the "F-U" attitude, then they are done with our club right on the spot.
Dave, I totally agree with your statements. I will be oganizing 3 runs this summer with my club and I will be adopting your above stated policy. On top of that, If I do encounter a problem boater I will notify Brad and yourself and anyone else who puts events together that wants to know so that they can take the appropriate actions on their own events.

It does no good for me to ban someone from my events if other organizers dont back each other. There are so many choices of runs to go to that it doesnt have any effect on them by being banned by one event or organization. I heard comments from one individual that got DQ'ed that f%** the FPC and there stupid rules that he would just run Poker Runs of America runs were he could do what he wants and air out the boat
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hats off to Stu, the Florida Powerboat Club and all the other promoters that have decided to put safety first.

Stu has built a fantastic business and we have to all put ourselves in his shoes. He has a LOT to loose, and we would all loose as well in the long run.

It’s refreshing to read the posts and see that people are finally taking safety serious and standing behind these folks.

When I did my first poker run with Stu in 2001 I think there may have been four boats that ran 100 MPH. Now with the majority of boats running triple digits we must all admit that things have really changed dramatically in the last three to four years and the risk factor is multiplied many times over.

One accident under Poker Runs America or FPC like they had at Smoke or Texas could put these guys out of business. They must take it serious, must have rules and must enforce them. I respect that and everyone of use should.

A poker run to me is a LOT more then just speed. I like to see new areas and enjoy the cruise and meet folks. I have seen a lot of friends going to the smaller events because of the speed factor. I’m sure many of them will be back to replace those that don’t feel the need to obey the rules.

Water on the Water, Beer on the Pier. Wear your PFD, keep your distance, be alert and arrive alive. I cannot imagine doing a run and seeing someone get killed. Life is too short to be rushing it.

Thanks Stu

Mark & Tommie
Team Dock Holiday
Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Wow, what a refreshing change to read people here agreeing with what Stu did. One year ago and the same type of post would have read" F Stu. I pay my money to go run fast and screw everyone else" or "no one is gonna tell me what to do" etc.etc. I personally got chewed for suggesting speed limits, DQ's for offenders etc. Nice to see people realizing that if we don't fix our problems, we are doomed to extinction.

Just goes to show that it takes the tragic loss of life to make things change. Seems to me most people out there have taken on board what can go wrong and the consequences - just a shame that there are one or two still about who are arrogant and ignorant enough not to care (not referring to Mark specifically).
Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

My only $.02 will be that this information is great to have out in front of all the participants in the runs to let them know that breaking the rules will not be tolerated, but, and i repeat but, I sincerely hope that these rules will apply to the entire field and that does include all manufacturer-sponsored boats as well. There have been a few incidents in the past where this was in question and it was written off when it should be discussed and let everyone know that it is a blanket policy. Those that have the ability to set an example by merely showing up with unparalleled power/speed/etc. had also better enstill one heck of an example of following and setting the tone for the "RULES OF SAFETY". Hammer
Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
FPC Events
VIP Member

No one has been kicked out of the Florida Powerboat Club because of this event. The boats who were disqualified are invited to our future events.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I'm just glad to see this group supporting safety over "freedom to do whatever I want". It hasn't always been that way on this board. If we police ourselves as a community (not just as individual organizations or events), things will be far better than if the insurance companies or the government does it.

I have no problem giving people second chances, but once a pattern is established, the rest of us have no option but to declare the repeat offender to be "persona non grata".
Suppose an organizer allows an acknowledged reckless operator into his event and that person causes an incident. The first question any good prosecutor/plaintiffs attorney will ask is why someone let a known ax-murderer into the schoolyard.

In the end, anti-social people make their own decision to be excluded from social events by their own actions. It's no different than mean drunks - no one wants to be around them.

It's simple:
Behavior = Consequences
CHUCK I COULD NOT OF SAID IT BETTER MYSELF
Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
As I see it, it's very simple. It's Stu's game, either play by his rules, or don't go....

I agree with your statement 100%.