Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
what grade should engine support bolts be ? >

what grade should engine support bolts be ?

Notices

what grade should engine support bolts be ?

Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechMetals.html
Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

If JC built your motors i guess a couple of 10-24's and some wing nuts ought'a do it
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

High school graduates or GED equivalent?...
Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Do not use stainless for engine mount bolts! The sheer strenght of stainless in fairly low, the will fail. Use Grade 8 carbon alloy steel, look for 6 hash marks at the points of the hex bold head.
Yup
Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy's reading this thread are you talking....
L-ANGLES TO CRADLE MOUNTS
CRADLE MOUNTS TO ENG. BLOCK
L-ANGLES TO STRINGERS
or all of the above? I used Grade 8 on just the cradle mounts to the Eng. Block and SS for L-Angles to Cradle Mounts and Stingers, But I only have Small Blocks not the Big 630cu in like you big dogs run. Am I ok that way?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Cuda is right. Grade 5 is a better choice in this case. Grade 8s are stronger if all surfaces are machined and the bolt is in pure tension. If the surfaces are painted and possibly not 100% square, grade 5 would be stronger/tougher. It is more ductile and forgiving of uneveness of surfaces like you would see in generic motor mount applications. Grade 8s are for perfect clamping situations like a head to block.

Many years ago I was an engineer at John Deere Tractor Assembly in waterloo Iowa. The plant was highly automated and most handling systems were underhung from the trusses of the superstructure of the building. The engineer that installed the overhead cranes and such used grade 8 bolts to toe clamp the bottom chord of the trusses. The bottom chord of trusses are somewhat angled. After a few years of operation we started to find broken bolts on the shop floor. The grade 8 bolts were snapping!! Not good with engines and transmission moving over people!!. Anyway, all the bolts holding the cranes up in the 2 million square foot factory had to be changes out to grade 5 bolts. Grade fives can take the load and be forgiving of uneven surfaces. Many an engineer has made this mistake.

BT
Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

My boat was rigged with SS from the L-angles to the stringers. There are 6 (3/4") thru bolts in the center and 3 (3/4") on the outsides. Steel on the offshore mounts to the engine block and steel from the offshore mounts to the L-angles.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
My boat was rigged with SS from the L-angles to the stringers. There are 6 (3/4") thru bolts in the center and 3 (3/4") on the outsides. Steel on the offshore mounts to the engine block and steel from the offshore mounts to the L-angles.
That's exactly how you want to do it
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Gr8 in all the high- stress applications and coat them with KGI Gunkote. If you do, you must use a lockwasher and torque them. The Gunkote has moly in it.

Applications-

Mount thru-stringer, plate to mount, plate to motor, accessories, bellhousing, starter, accessories, etc.

My local Lowe's has a big selection of Gr8 but the one down the road doesn't. The quickest way to get them is McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com
Old 03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most farm/tractor supply stores carry a good assortment of grade 8

Quick Reply: what grade should engine support bolts be ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.