Notices

Old boats=Rot

Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I guess my real question is, I would like to hear about repercussions from running a boat with rotted wood. Such as hulls cracking, outdrives falling off, engine mounts coming thru, etc etc
MT - well, here's the answer to your "real" question.
This is all true. Happened to me in my '86 Baja 250 Force in '97ish.
Took the (then) wife, and a buddy from Toledo to Cedar Point across Lake Erie for a 3 day, 2 night weekend. Me and the wife stayed on the boat, buddy caught a room. Beautiful day and ride across Erie to get there. Had a really good time, watched the closing fireworks/laser show from the boat both nights. Woke up Monday morning to a strong northeast wind. OK, I'm gonna have to run through 3-5's the whole way back, no problem, I grew up on Erie, this sort of thing happens. Got out of Sandusky Bay and was taking them head-on, reading the waves, and trying to stay on top of them - not easy in a 25' on Erie. I start hearing a slight whine. Almost sounded like it was coming from a bad ground on the stereo system, if you know what I mean. Stereo is off, but I'm still hearing this whine, (crappy stereo, first season with the boat). After 10-15 mins. I decide to back out of the throttle, and pop the hatch. Me and buddy are looking in the engine compartment (454/330, TRS, external water pickup). I notice I've got water trickling in at a pretty good (bad) rate around the transom assembly mounts. Bilge pump is running, but this isn't good - not gonna make the distance to Toledo. I can see Put-In-Bay, so I know the best thing to do is keep her on plane, I figure if Transom is dry, no water will come in. Got her to PIB, and tied up where they could sling it IMMEDIATELY! Turns out the motor was mounted with L-brackets to the top of the stringers, and the stringers were soggy under the glass. Going over the waves crushed the STBD stringer under the mount, and the motor was listing to that side by probably 5 degrees, causing the seperation at the transom.
Wound up catching the Jet Express to get back. Had a friend pick us up, and take us to my truck at the Marina. Me and my Buddy picked up my trailer, and ran back out to Port Clinton to catch the Ferry. So, Truck and trailer ride the Ferry to PIB. We drop the boat on the trailer, and FORTUNATELY make the last ferry of the day with Truck, Trailer, and Boat, on the Ferry. Any idea how bad it sucks to have your tow rig and boat crossing the lake on a ferry?? well, it sucked!
Hauled the boat back to Toledo, and out of the water for 6 weeks to replace stringers.
I've told this story on here before, and there are two things that I did that were very stupid so I'll re-iterate them here:
1. When we were stopped and realized the damage, I didn't notify the Coast Gaurd. If the situation had gotten worse, not sure what would have happened to us.
2. My ex-wife was the only one that put on a PFD. Once again, If the situation had gotten worse, not sure what would have happened to us.

Mind you, I was 26 yrs. and bullet-proof at this time, and I knew everything about everything.
Since then I've learned I don't know anything about anything.
Nobody got hurt, and we all returned safe with nothing more than a story to tell.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

pib to toledo can be a wild ride when it gets nasty out..did it last summer coming back at nite in some big stuff. no moon, cant see the waves I went just fast enuff to keep it on top and held on tight.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense guys but there are a lot of "second rate" boat brands being mentioned here....
Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
No offense guys but there are a lot of "second rate" boat brands being mentioned here....

You, my friend, just opened yourself a can of worms.
I have taken all kinds of hell on this board for voicing that I don't ever want to own a Baja again. Sorry, just bad JuJu for me. Not that Baja is a bad boat, but I now have a stigma.
I imagine mine wasn't cared for properly prior to my ownership, and I was young and uneducated in performance boats.
Lesson Learned = seek further education.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh a Baja? - that would be third rate.......

JUST KIDDING!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
Oh a Baja? - that would be third rate.......

JUST KIDDING!!!!
I was trying to be nice
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMG
I mentioned my rotten Crownline. I wouldn't even consider that boat "second rate"....maybe 3rd or 4th.

I wasn't trying to compare it to a Cig. Just trying to point out that a boat doesn't have to be old to rot.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG

There are a lot of older Formulas that have needed transoms replaced, go to the Fiberglass section, and you'll see.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:00 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
core samples? anyone comes near my boat and wants to take core samples will be turned away...

moisture meters and a plastic mallet will tell the story.

......ditto to that, buddy !!!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
core samples? anyone comes near my boat and wants to take core samples will be turned away...

moisture meters and a plastic mallet will tell the story.
I agree and if they want to take it one step further a IR Camera.

Jon

Quick Reply: Old boats=Rot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.