Notices

need help!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=US1 Fountain;2087602]FeverMike on here had a 29 with a single HP500. He has said his 29 was faster than the same powered 27 due to the extra hull lenght. Also a smoother ride. I seen where it was for sale. If storage space would work, I'd look more towards the 29 just because of the cockpit size alone. Can't beat a single engine in this size range. Less expense, less work and easier to operate. I won't say to stay clear of a twin boat as a first boat, don't know your abilites.
The twin 29's sit real low, as low as my 32 in back. I like the looks myself. Can't go wrong with a 27 if that fits the bill better.
You'll get better answers between the 27 and 29 in the Fountain forum.[/QUOTE

i cant begin to thank you enough,do you think the 29 single sits low too.can you believe that theres more deals out there on 29 s then 27s.And as far as my abilities go im very sabi on regular motors,my father and i have a mechanic shop for cars but i heard engine boats are a whole diffrent ballpark,so i guess my sign in name says it all.are you saying because with two motors the boat will be harder to maneuver?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
give us an approximate budget and the type of boating you will be doing (i.e. family, overnighting, day cruising, rough water, calm water, etc.)

Without that info, no one here can truly help you out. You're just gonna end up with a list of everyone elses preferences, not you're own.
its kind of hard to say,mainly for lake cruising but when i think im ready,i would love to take to the ocean.i have a small family just 3 of us.I've been saving since last time i went to lake havasu and seen the boats you guys have,it was love at first sight. i have about 40k saved
and hopefully another 10 soon do i have a chance?i would like to get a used boat.(but remember i like the ones that sit low in the rear)thanks for any info
disaster!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I have also heard that the 29 fountain is faster than an 27 with same power. Really not much of a price difference between the 27 and the 29. The 29 single also looks to be a fast sell. I was dead sold on the 29 until I found out that it did not handle the rough stuff as well as others. Now I am sold on the 28 pantera (rated No. 1 rough water 28 ft boat by OSO members), but for the right price and location I would also buy a 31 Cigarette Bullet or a 28 Apache. All excellent rough water boats, which is all I really care about.

For $40K there are some nice panteras that can be bought, check out the Pantera forum for research and boats for sale. I promise you you will not be disapointed.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I have also heard that the 29 fountain is faster than an 27 with same power. Really not much of a price difference between the 27 and the 29. The 29 single also looks to be a fast sell. I was dead sold on the 29 until I found out that it did not handle the rough stuff as well as others. Now I am sold on the 28 pantera (rated No. 1 rough water 28 ft boat by OSO members), but for the right price and location I would also buy a 31 Cigarette Bullet or a 28 Apache. All excellent rough water boats, which is all I really care about.

For $40K there are some nice panteras that can be bought, check out the Pantera forum for research and boats for sale. I promise you you will not be disapointed.
hey tex,do you know if the pantera sits low in the rear end?(like the fountains do)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by disaster at sea!

do you think the 29 single sits low too......
are you saying because with two motors the boat will be harder to maneuver?

No, it sit's fine. approx 1000# less weight with only 1 motor and drive.

Twins can be easier to maneuver in tight spaces. They can pivot in location by twisting the drives. 1 forward, 1 reverse. All other aspects, the single is easier to operate. 2 less levers to operate and get mixed up. 4 levers, panic situation around the dock, can get ugly.

If you would end up with a twin, I recommend having someone behind the wheel your 1st time out that is experienced with twins showing you the ropes, then practicing out in the middle of the lake. Takes time. When at idle speeds, I don't touch the throttles. Shifters only, bumping in and out.

Sunsations have the azz low look also.
That look is what got my into a Fountain. It's different.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered

That look is what got my into a Fountain. It's different.

Amen to that! thanks US1
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by disaster at sea!
hey tex,do you know if the pantera sits low in the rear end?(like the fountains do)
Here is a link to a pantera for sale - profile in the water
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/9/87847479.htm

The back does not sit as low in the back as a fountain. I know you might think that it looks cool sitting low in the back, but you are not going to think that it is very cool when you have eight people on the back and it starts to sink (I doubt this is true for larger fountains). I had a friend with a 32 fountain and his boat almost did sink with eight people on the back. The only reason it didn't is because he threw them all off into the water and told them to swim home.

A fountain also uses a different hull than most boats. Fountain relies on the X-factor (or whatever you want to call it) to get their boats up to speed. Bass boats also use the X-factor, which is why they also sit low in the water. Boats that use the X-Factor have less deadrise and ride on top of the water, which will make it go faster, but can be more bumpy in rough water. Pantera, Cigarette, Apache and alot of other boats use a 24 degree deadrise. The 24 degree deadrise will cut through the waves instead of riding on top of them. This makes for a more comfortable and somewhat safer ride. Or atleast that is how I understand it - please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

correct you ! you must be kidding.thanks tex but i think i was sold on the fountain(if my budget allows)but i dont know now after that story with your buddy's 32.I dont think i would let 8 people on the boat,but dam if anything i was getting a 29.How many people would u say its safe?(on a 29)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

like low in the back look at the magnums
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Sorry bud. 32's are like this because of the weight of the twin big blocks. Its a lite boat for 32'ft and its got the X-factor, so when you put two big blocks in it - it sags a little lower than the other fountains. I have heard of many 32 owners always being told by others that their boat is sinking when it is just sitting anchored with nobody on it. I don't believe the 29 or 27 is as nearly as bad at this, unless its got twin big blocks. But I definately would not want a bunch of people hanging out on the backend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.