Like Tree0Likes

Merc 575Scs ... Misc Questions ...

Reply
Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 PM
  #1
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Newport Beach, CA
My Boats: Twin Step 42 Tiger
Posts: 347
Default Merc 575Scs ... Misc Questions ...

Just curious about everyone else's usage/reliability/overhaul experience with these engines.

Hours of usage before a rebuild? When to rebuild? What components need at first overhaul?

Thanks!
Jeffrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:30 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Lucky Strike Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
My Boats: 38 Top Gun T/S "Hot For Teacher"
Posts: 1,660
Default

Do you mean 575's?
Lucky Strike Jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 PM
  #3
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Newport Beach, CA
My Boats: Twin Step 42 Tiger
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr View Post
Do you mean 575's?
Yep. My bad. 575s.
Jeffrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
  #4
OSO Moderator
Charter Member
 
BillR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
My Boats: '00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
Posts: 3,580
Default

The blower is a weak link. Should be redone / upgraded by blower shop. About $1K per blower.
The 575 is well built and stout. I rebuilt mine @ 290 hours. When torn apart, all was fine and could likely have gone another 200 hrs. But builder said weak link was upper end. So have the valves and springs done if you have some hours.
Mine were upgraded to roller cam / roller rockers. Runs great and gets better fuel economy as well as a few more HP.
Best advice I can give you is to have the blowers looked at / rebuilt no matter what.
__________________
BillR

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
BillR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manhasset, NY
My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo
Posts: 1,942
Default

Jeff........just bought a boat myself with twin 575's.......did lot's of searching here on OSO. I found out some pretty good info and like Bill says the blowers seem to be the weak link. I took delievery just last week and already got myself a spare blower and will be swapping out one at a time to send for freshening up........just do a search for 575 and there is plenty to read........................................John
Here's Johnny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
  #6
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYD454 View Post
...already got myself a spare blower and will be swapping out one at a time to send for freshening up.......John
Smart, Johnny, very smart.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
  #7
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member
 
Vinny P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: long island, new york
My Boats: 99 checkmate 259
Posts: 2,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYD454 View Post
Jeff........just bought a boat myself with twin 575's.......did lot's of searching here on OSO. I found out some pretty good info and like Bill says the blowers seem to be the weak link. I took delievery just last week and already got myself a spare blower and will be swapping out one at a time to send for freshening up........just do a search for 575 and there is plenty to read........................................John

You are doing the swap?

Vinny P is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
  #8
MM1
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA.
My Boats: 35 FT FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING
Posts: 148
Default

Getting the blowers freshened up is a great idea at about 200 hrs and plan on doing the valve springs about every 250 hrs and an easy to pick up 80-90 hp is to put an intercooler under the blower while they are being overhauled. The bottom end of the engine will last for a long time I have lots of customers with 700+ hrs and still going just fine. By the way that looks like a great boat. Matt
MM1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
  #9
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Newport Beach, CA
My Boats: Twin Step 42 Tiger
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM1 View Post
Getting the blowers freshened up is a great idea at about 200 hrs and plan on doing the valve springs about every 250 hrs and an easy to pick up 80-90 hp is to put an intercooler under the blower while they are being overhauled. The bottom end of the engine will last for a long time I have lots of customers with 700+ hrs and still going just fine. By the way that looks like a great boat. Matt
Thanks Matt. Thanks to everyone for the info. I must have had a brain **** since I didn't bother to do a search. I'm sure there is a plethora of information on this topic. I will do the search now ... thanks to those who answered though!
Jeffrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manhasset, NY
My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo
Posts: 1,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate454mag View Post
You are doing the swap?


Here's Johnny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PARADOX
Swap Shop
3
11-27-2008 09:45 AM
PARADOX
Swap Shop
3
09-07-2008 04:01 PM
boatputz
General Q & A
0
08-15-2006 07:30 PM
sakoutis3
General Q & A
2
04-26-2006 08:01 AM
SeaWeasel
General Q & A
10
01-16-2002 09:33 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.