Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ol Headed to Malta instead of Pickwick (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157285-ol-headed-malta-instead-pickwick.html)

Ron P 05-02-2007 11:52 AM

Ol Headed to Malta instead of Pickwick

OUTERLIMITS FOCUSES ON POWERBOAT P1, PASSES ON PICKWICK

After a resounding win over the Fountain Team at last week’s Greer’s Ferry race and upon re-examination of the Offshore Super Series (OSS) schedule and composition, Outerlimits Powerboats has opted not to attend the May 5-6 OSS race in Pickwick, Tennessee. “We simply do not believe that racing against one other boat in our class is in the true competitive spirit of racing,” said Joe Sgro, Outerlimits’ racing partner, “We will decide what other races we may run in the future, but we are not in the hunt for the National Points Championship.”

Mike Fiore, founder and president of Outerlimits, decided earlier this year to field a team in the European Powerboat P1 circuit, a sizable commitment which included altering the canopy of the new SV-40, the 2006 OSS Vee National and World Champion, to suit the European specifications. With Mercury Racing as a sponsor and utilizing its new 662 SCi engines, approved for emissions compliance in Europe, Outerlimits has located its race boat, support vehicles and a race shop near Manheim, Germany.

Fiore then built a new SV-40 with two passenger seats for the OSS circuit so it could be a prototype for a new Poker Run model. “Toward the end of creating a new saleable model, the investment in U.S. racing was worthwhile,” Fiore states, “But with the continued division of the various sanctioning bodies, the truly competitive field we anticipated did not materialize. We see little reason to continue our U.S. participation--we’re not out to race one boat or manufacturer.”

Outerlimits will review other races on the OSS schedule, but for the foreseeable future, Fiore and Sgro will focus on the rigors of the Powerboat P1 circuit that includes a two-day event with two classes, Evolution Class for prototypes, where Outerlimits will race, and SuperSport Class for production models. The first day is an endurance race while the second is a sprint-style ”rally” race with tight turns on a designated course. Points are awarded each day and averaged for the event win. While the field is comprised of a variety of manufacturers, including American brands, Outerlimits is the only U.S. manufacturer sponsoring a Powerboat P1 race team. All races are held in prime oceanfront locations throughout Europe, starting in Malta, then Naples, Italy, Travemunde, Germany, Cowes, UK, Zeebrugee, Belgium and Portimao, Portugal. The estimated live audience for the 2006 season was over 280,000 spectators at the festival-like race sites. A UK-based television production company, Greenlight, will air the races in 70 countries; satellite feeds will be available in the U.S.

“We feel it makes more sense to focus our racing effort where it will be truly appreciated, seen by a larger audience and open new markets for us,” said Fiore, “We’re a competitive group and we’re ready to go racing!”

T2x 05-02-2007 12:23 PM

I can't quite explain why..... but this post made me chuckle....

Ya gotta love the statement....... and the thought process behind it..... is very, VERY, clever.

If this were a chess game.......... OL would be using the word "Check"............ now let's see who get's to utter the word "mate"........:D

T2x

OldSchool 05-02-2007 12:29 PM

So, the way that I perceive that is That Reggie can run the season by himself in his own organization and then take out a two-page ad that Fountain is the WORLD CHAMPION......While OL goes across the pond and does some real racing.

It's a shame that racing in the US is so messed up. I can remember how much fun it was to watch it on TV on saturday mornings about 5 years ago. :( :rolleyes: :(

Donzi38ZR 05-02-2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 2113844)
So, the way that I perceive that is That Reggie can run the season by himself in his own organization and then take out a two-page ad that Fountain is the WORLD CHAMPION......While OL goes across the pond and does some real racing.

It's a shame that racing in the US is so messed up. I can remember how much fun it was to watch it on TV on saturday mornings about 5 years ago. :( :rolleyes: :(

You could have not perceived or worded it better for that matter, that is exactly what they are doing.... and I applaud them...
Donzi lead that movement starting in 2004 just as the APBA/SBI Reggie-Fest-circle-jerk was just getting steamy...

Not sure I agree with Fiore's decision to put himself & company out there for a big fall early on if things don't go as planned... but I do read into & appreciate his candor.

Dam'it... I do remember those days of rolling over in bed on a sat, or sunday to find some hard hittin offshore action on SPEED!!!! blahhhh!

bgchuby01 05-02-2007 01:06 PM

Best of luck to Mike and Joe. Joe bring some good veal with you and teach them how to eat over there

AIR TIME 05-02-2007 01:08 PM

just get the FREEZE FRAMEDVD:D monthly club its like xmass at the end of the month and after 2yrs you will have 24dvds no commericals:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hated that every two seconds another one:rolleyes: .what I think is messing stuff up is the class chance with the 850s ,in sc it seems a lot of drivers went to the new OPS another club oh well thank God for OPA thats all I want to watch real boats racing, and guys not changing the rules in between races, aka last yrs worlds oss SC with 6'' to short rule after the poor guy ran all yr. well can't wait to see the euro racing on TV like last yr now that OL IS IN THE MIX. ART

LEOPAJM 05-02-2007 01:33 PM

I don't blame them .... the racing has sucked here for a few years now .... and this year seems to be worse .... Whats the point ? Additionally , I'm anxious to see the new SV40 poker run boat . Good luck over there guys .

THEJOKER 05-02-2007 01:43 PM

I don't blame them either , that takes a huge committment to go across the pond. I also know that BAD APPLE will not go and race by himself. I would think he would now turn to SBI in his own backyard.

SpeedGirl 05-02-2007 02:12 PM

WOW good luck Joe and Mike..... If you need a tour guide of Malta I'd love to go back :D I was just there 2 months ago for my honeymoon!

Plus my husband speaks fluent Maltese :D and knows how to wrench too!!!!

T2x 05-02-2007 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 2113966)
I don't blame them either , that takes a huge committment to go across the pond. I also know that BAD APPLE will not go and race by himself. I would think he would now turn to SBI in his own backyard.

For years I've been a voice in the dark......while the cheerleaders and marching bands strutted and huffed. Well, It's is becoming sadly obvious even to the most polyanna like adherents:

The golf shirted marketing types are carrying the day....

and

True Offshore racing is slip sliding away.

T2x

Top Banana 05-02-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2114016)
For years I've been a voice in the dark......while the cheerleaders and marching bands strutted and huffed. Well, It's is becoming sadly obvious even to the most polyanna like adherents:

The golf shirted marketing types are carrying the day....

and

True Offshore racing is slip sliding away.

T2x

Never say Never, Rich.......you just don't know what might be right around the corner.

www.historicraceboats.com

Top Banana 05-02-2007 03:13 PM

Okay, Okay......there is a major effort going on right now, that is trying to put together a real open ocean race that will happen in this upcoming October, 2007.

We are looking for sponsors right now....if anyone is serious about getting involved with this type of rebirth, contact me and I can get you a sponsor package.

Real open ocean racing is not a put down of any other type of racing going on today....it is simply a return to the roots of the sport.

For those who would ike to try it, this may be your vehicle to a whole new set of challenges.

Charlie McCarthy

Ryan Beckley 05-02-2007 03:15 PM

Didn't ORL just try this????

powerabout 05-02-2007 03:23 PM

maybe the good olds of racing and the machines will comeback into popular vogue as it has in cars like F5000, Can Am etc
Where the game is to have a good time...

Expo 05-02-2007 03:38 PM

"we are not in the hunt for the National Points Championship"
how in the world do the figure that? Or are they just saying in not so many words that they can't beat Fountain again and are giving up on trying?
Where did all the other Super Vs go? There are only 3 currently running and now one is running away!!
Where are all the other boats, Skater, Phantom, Bad Boy, and Platinum?
Are they all just scared or they just cant hang?

sellsman11 05-02-2007 03:55 PM

:(

OldSchool 05-02-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Expo (Post 2114155)
how in the world do the figure that? Or are they just saying in not so many words that they can't beat Fountain again and are giving up on trying?
Where did all the other Super Vs go? There are only 3 currently running and now one is running away!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe they are all just tired of Reggies chit....Or maybe they want to race on a level playing field. Just a guess.:cool:

T2x 05-02-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 2114073)
Never say Never, Rich.......you just don't know what might be right around the corner.

www.historicraceboats.com

Charlie:

From your mouth to God's ear..........

GLH 05-02-2007 04:31 PM

The Euro as risen and it might be a better target market.

Zudnic 05-02-2007 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 2114216)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe they are all just tired of Reggies chit....Or maybe they want to race on a level playing field. Just a guess.:cool:

Maybe they got while their still "winners" and before Fountain got dialed in for the rest of the season. Moving to Europe, with OL's record seems more a move to save face, an excuse; much like mechanical problem's and leaving in the middle of the night!!!!!

While driving to LA, followed a OL from Seattle to Tacoma on the I-5, me driving the speed limit to drool..So the above is not a total knock on OL. Fountain and Cat Killer they are not much better.

Cigarette with their V bottom attempt, was hopeful they would turn that into joining Fountain and OL on the race course at some point.

NefariousOne 05-02-2007 04:46 PM

Sweet...looking forward to OL and the defending WORLD champion OSG Donzi 38ZR duke it out!

Expo 05-02-2007 04:50 PM

Old School
So what chit would that be?
How is the playing field not level?
I guess you know something the rest of us don't or are you saying that they are cheating and no one else can prove how except for you. Maybe with all your knowledge you should become the tech inspector at all the races!!!!!

Ryan Beckley 05-02-2007 05:04 PM

PRETTY AMAZING THESE RELEASES WERE TWO DAYS APART........

OUTERLIMITS BRINGS BACK THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM
MIKE FIORE AND BOB RUSSELL TO RACE IN MALTA

As Outerlimits Powerboats fields two offshore racing teams, one in the U.S. with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) and one in Europe with Powerboat P1, scheduling became an unavoidable issue. With Joe Sgro and new driver John Makepeace, manning the new SV40 at the Lake Pickwick OSS race on May 5-6, Outerlimits selected Bob Russell to take the helm with Mike Fiore at throttles in the first Powerboat P1 race in Malta.

“We are fortunate to have two top-rate racers on our team,” says Fiore, “I am proud and happy to be in the boat with either Joe or Bob on any given day!” This race brings APBA PX Champions Russell and Fiore together again, after they won their second APBA PX Class World Champion, in 2002 in an Outerlimits 42 GTX. This year, the duo will race the SV40, the 2006 National and World Championship OSS Vee boat, which was modified to meet the Powerboat P1 specs. The canopy was cut to maintain the recreational standards for the European circuit, while the newly built OSS race boat maintains full canopy construction.

“We are very enthused about our first race with Powerboat P1!” exclaims Fiore, “We put a lot of time, money and effort into fielding this team, against a lot of heavy competition, so we are very happy to have some ‘big guns’ to bring to the races. Both Joe and Bob have a lot of racing experience and we are lucky to have their flexibility to meet these rigorous schedules.”

Russell is a long-time Outerlimits customer and friend and has owned every model of Outerlimits Powerboats built. His boat racing experience follows years in motorcross and flat track racing and in addition to the two World Championship titles he won with Fiore in 2001 and 2002, Russell won the King of the Hudson speed run at the New York City Poker run in an Outerlimits 42 Legacy and also earned the Lake Of the Ozarks Shoot Out title for Fastest Vee Bottom in his Outerlimits 42 GTX. In this same boat, he also set the APRA 2003 World Kilo Record for a Vee Bottom in Washington North Carolina at 147.61 mph and earned status in the Poker Runs America Hall of Fame.

The Powerboat P1 schedule begins in the historical Mediterranean port city of Valetta, Malta, then, moves to Naples, Italy, May 26-27. The team next travels to Travemunde, Germany, June 30-July 1, then to Cowes, in the UK, August 25-26. Next on the schedule is Zebrugge, Belgium, September 8-9, and Portimao, Portugal, September 29-30.

Outerlimits will receive satellite TV feeds from the races and plans to host video on its website following the races. A UK production company, Greenlight TV will air the races in over 70 countries worldwide. “We look forward to showcasing our boats to the European audience, who truly appreciates powerboat racing,” says Fiore, “It’s going to be a busy season!”

AIR TIME 05-02-2007 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Expo (Post 2114155)

well there are more boats to race against over there DONZI 38,PLATINUM 39, FORMULA 38 AND ALL THE EURO TEAMS in all types of water and I think skater39 will be there to and I thought FOUNTAIN was going to race there to?? Thats alot of boats and rougher water to:D

Donzi38ZR 05-02-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 2114344)
well there are more boats to race against over there DONZI 38,PLATINUM 39, FORMULA 38 AND ALL THE EURO TEAMS in all types of water and I think skater39 will be there to and I thought FOUNTAIN was going to race there to?? Thats alot of boats and rougher water to:D

2 Donzi 38 ZR's
2 Skaters
2 Metamarine's
2 Fountains
Formulas
Platinum
Sunseeker
Dragons

And a phlethora of smaller Euro manufacturers.

Expo 05-02-2007 05:53 PM

Knows what? I would think if someone knew what he was supposedly doing they would speak up and the inspectors would catch them.
A tech inspector for SBI? You mean they have inspections?

As for racing over seas I agree that is great. So why stop racing here? The boat wont make it there in time to race and he has a crew for both boats so why not race and prove he can win here also.

Personally I think OL should put as much effort into getting their customers boats to run.

So in summary FOUNTAIN wins!

BAD APPLE 05-02-2007 05:54 PM

Are you talking about the 51 that runs 125mph with 3200hp

jayboat 05-02-2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 2114344)

Exactly. I think the press release was plain as day- they want to race more than one other boat.

Good luck, guys!

fountain1fan 05-02-2007 06:09 PM

:rolleyes:

BAD APPLE 05-02-2007 06:29 PM

Which press release the one today or the one two days ago that says the opposite.

Expo 05-02-2007 06:34 PM

Hey BAD APPLE, dont worry its still early in the week maybe they will have a new release before the race.
Or it might be a way to get you not to go so they can win again. Then they can tell everyone that they won again cuz your SCARED!!
Maybe if they would untie their boat from the tree they would do better!!

wigginout 05-02-2007 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 2113844)

Ditto. Miss THE OLD DAYS.

Bostonirish 05-02-2007 07:11 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't it say, that the only race that they were not going to attend was the Pickwick race as of now? I think other manufactures should take notes from OL. It is a major undertaking to go overseas, especially with a whole seperate boat, crew, trucks, ect. ect. My hat is off to them, and I would like to wish them luck!

Panther 05-02-2007 08:17 PM

I thought the rumor was they had two boats?? One for overseas and one for the OSS tour over here?

Seems wierd....

Phantom1 05-02-2007 08:32 PM

The list of teams exiting the OSS organization is long, but distinguished.

OL40SVX 05-02-2007 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Expo (Post 2114362)

Personally I think OL should put as much effort into getting their customers boats to run.

So in summary FOUNTAIN wins!

Do you not see the big Outerlimits support trailer going to alot of Poker Runs?? I dont see Fountain or any other manufacture doing the same as Outerlimits does. And by the way Fountain doesn't win. I applaud OL for racing over seas and giving their customers great support. Hustler is another manufacture racing in P1 this year.

OL40SVX 05-02-2007 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2114537)
I thought the rumor was they had two boats?? One for overseas and one for the OSS tour over here?

Seems wierd....

They do have two to my knowledge. I think they sold the first one to somebody.

THEJOKER 05-02-2007 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley (Post 2114115)
Didn't ORL just try this????

Not open ocean , rough water. I worked my tail off on a solid plan and nobody bit , few nibbles. If somebody would put together a long distance ocean race , I'd have on of my boats in. I would think 08 would be better for planning , etc.

BAD APPLE 05-02-2007 10:08 PM

Boat one is overseas and Boat 2 was put together to race here until Michael quit. Neither are sold. They will probably race one or two more and the worlds. Figured they had no shot at the national title in both divisions so why lose face. I'm taking golf up with you Brian.
Brett
Anyone want to buy a Fountain that everyone is afraid to race?

Ron P 05-02-2007 10:11 PM

It was great racing while it lasted. The OL vs Fountain battle will rise up again, at least here on OSO.