Like Tree0Likes

Question for Michigan Boaters?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Registered

My Boats: PQ 380 **SOLD**

Sounds like everyone has about the same philosophy as I do. I can guarantee that I have never been legally drunk driving my boat. I just wanted to get a feel for how you guys deal with it. Also, I don't have a fast boat, I have a pleasure boat that I fill with friends and family, drive out to the sandbars, anchor and have a good time. It would be a different story if I was out there to fly around. In my many years of boating, I have never been pulled over for anything (knock on wood) I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the subject. Thanks for the replies.

P.S. I have a 23' Yamaha Jet boat with twins. I know I don't belong here ( someday I will), but other forums I have read really suck and you guys seem real knowledgable and most importantly you don't knock eachother...too much
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 38 Fountain

In chicago, we usually drink on my boat. I dont bring a ton of people on board, maybe 4 tops, and we stay low key. We usually anchor and sip some beers in the sun. I think the water cops are more prone to stopping a boat loaded with people, especially if its a sausage fest boat. I dont let people sit anywhere but the seats while underway. Point is, here, if you done act like a asshat, they usually let you enjoy the day.

I have a couple friends who are chicago marine police, they are pretty good guys, who dont want to put the screws to decent people. But if they see a group of people on a boat being rowdy, speeding in crowded areas, drinking out of plastic cups, hanging off the back of the boat while underway, they will stop them.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Never ever have a open beer in view of the police or USCG. Since they can do a safety inspection any time and once they board they may decide you need a breathalizer test.

Also don't try to outrun a police or USCG boat. I tried once and soon realized they have more then one and know how to plot a intercepting course.
Fortunatly I was not drinking and only got a expensive wake violation out of the chase.

ed
Ed, was that in your younger and wilder days?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.

Dock,
Yes it happened back around 1990 in my C.C.. Tried to outrun the county sheriff boat. Went flying through the no wake zone by Deckers, don't know what I was thinking at the time. They were tied up at Deckers and waved at me to pull in. Once out into the lake I thought I could run to the Clinton river or Metro and loose him since he had to get started and chase me.
Forgot about radio communication........... They came from two directions and I finally gave up around Belvedere bay.
Lesson learned.
ed
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1988 241 Liberator

And remember, if the police or USCG want to board to do a inspection, always ask them to remove their shoes.

It pisses them off really bad, and as long as you know your not in violation, its funny as hell.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

i dont drink before or during operating my boat . . . period. and have no problem if my passangers do. i know i may take some heat for this but i think they should enforce the BUI laws more srtictly and should have zero tolerance for people that do operate while impared. i dont say this because i feel every person that has just one or two drinks should be delt with, i say it for the amount of other azzholes that go way beyond that. cant tell you how many times i see these idiots out there that think its no big deal and drinking all frik'n day is a part of boating. I was boarded one night at about one thirty in the morning while returning from a riverfront party my crew was pretty trashed. they did a full vessel check and about half way through the process i could sense the situation got much less tense when they realized i had not been drinking lke the rest. i asked if most of their stops were like this and the officer said " no usually everybody is drunk" they thanked me for being responsible and keeping my boat in perfect order i thanked them for being out there keeping the water safe. we went on our way. honestly i have no problem with the frequincy of boardings during downtown events or any other time for that matter, gives 'em more of a chance to nail the people that push it to far.

now while i do not drink an drive my boat i will, however, catch up quickly when we get wherever it is that we were going . . . thats why i have a boat with a cabin. besides its kinda entertaining to be totally sober around a bunch of drunks, really gives you an interesting view of people .

just my .02 cents
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-10-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Dock,
Yes it happened back around 1990 in my C.C.. Tried to outrun the county sheriff boat. Went flying through the no wake zone by Deckers, don't know what I was thinking at the time. They were tied up at Deckers and waved at me to pull in. Once out into the lake I thought I could run to the Clinton river or Metro and loose him since he had to get started and chase me.
Forgot about radio communication........... They came from two directions and I finally gave up around Belvedere bay.
Lesson learned.
ed
interesting you chose interceptor for a screen name. . . . shouldnt it be intercepted?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.

Dave,
Actually the name should have been DumbA** that day.
ed
Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

we all have our moments
Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Scarab
Smile

Big zero for the alcohol and anything that involves a motor for me, seen to many things turn bad quickly.

P.S. I have a 23' Yamaha Jet boat with twins. I know I don't belong here ( someday I will), but other forums I have read really suck and you guys seem real knowledgeable and most importantly you don't knock each other...too much[/QUOTE]

There are a bunch of great people here. Welcome to the site and don't worry about not belonging; to me it is a common interest that you share with the other members. Plus you can learn a ton of stuff.

Jim