Notices

Be safe this summer

Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Exclamation Be safe this summer

Got the Tiger all put back together and running fine, everything is perfect, with the exception of a couple tweaks here and there. My mechanic and I took a mental health day and just had fun, were running around, docked at a great restaurant on the South River and ate and were heading back to call it a day and then it happened....

Running along about 65 water calm(1-2's) everything well, get under the Bay bridge and there was a rogue set of waves, we launch and landed fine, got hit on the port by another in between the spans, caught both of us off guard, Barry goes to the floor, gets up and says right off "I'm hurt" i see blood all over his face and a 4-5 inch gash from his nose to his chin, in the crease and a cut on his forehead, I can only assume he hit the helm by me on his way down. So I grab an extra shirt I had and packed ice in it and I tell him to keep it on it, we bust ass from the bay bridge to Stony creek, about 20 mins, I'm trying to go as fast as I can but not jerk him around too much, he stopped bleeding but it was layed right open, I'm thinkin 30-50 stiches, will know later on tonight. As we are pulling in the creek he says, let me help you with the boat and then I'll drive myself,I told him nope, his Dad lives on stony creek so I took him right there, we had called once we hit the 6 mph speed limit. It just made me think with all of the liability stuff going on how fast a great day can turn ugly...no preaching just all be careful....
Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope he's OK.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

I hope Barry will be fine. It's hard to see those rogue waves, but at least everyone walked away with nothing too serious. My graphics girl fell off of the cruiser Thursday and now has 13 staples in her leg and the boat was docked. So I guess you never know.

We wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

He just called me from the hospital, 38 stitches, when he walked in and they saw him, he went in immediately..they didn't believe him it seems when he told them how it happened, but now is time to heal and relax....says he feels like he got hit with a bat....
Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Wow. Hope your buddy does OK. Hope the docs stitched him tight so the scarring isn't too bad. Guess a plastic surgeon would be involved.

Sometimes our toys can bite us......
Old 05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

glad to hear he's ok, and thanks for the reminder...need them every now and again
Old 05-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

You're not preaching...facts are the facts, we're at the mercy of the water and the best we can ever do is break even with it. Your Tiger is one of the bigger boats owned by people on this board and just think what would have happened on a size owned by a majority of us.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like you did a great job in a difficult situation glad he is ok
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Registered

I hear you, and point well taken. A few years ago, we were running my 25 Checkmate on an inland lake about 3pm on a beautiful sunny 80 degree day with no traffic, dead sober (which at that point in my life, on that lake, we usually weren't). I decided to let my friend drive, and had him run it up to full throttle with me yelling instructions in his ear. To yell at him, I had to turn my head, and stopped looking at where we were going. As luck had it, one of the biggest cruisers that had ever been on the lake, was on it that day, and we hit its wake, trimmed to the max at full throttle, my friend driving, with me not looking, no kill switches attached, and things were not pretty. We literally bounced from one chine to the other, in an increasing pattern where one or two more bounces would have definately ejected us, with the boat most likely proceeding onward without us. My friend was frozen, and thank God in my moment of shock, I was able to reach over and kill the ignition, stopping the entire situation. That experience was probably the biggest learning experience of my boating life, and definately put things in perspective. You simply just don't know when things are going to go wrong, and when they do, they are in no way what you expect to have happen, and you need all of your senses to respond to them. Everyone be safe, and have a great year of boating!!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your both ok.... or going to be ok ......

We were toolin around out in the bay today and one of the boats stopped and had his hatch up. We circled around to see if they were ok ... they were but in doing so we saw two partially submerged trees. Woulda been hell to hit them at speed. I was thinkin how a few feet in either direction could have made a big difference.

Quick Reply: Be safe this summer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.