Gas Prices Affecting Boating

Notices

Gas Prices Affecting Boating

Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
you are so right 27fountain.before long it will be a rich boy or trust fund boy sport.
I'll hold on to it as long as possible.

For now it motivates me to work harder but after a while it becomes a one step forward two steps back routine..... For now I'm staying a head of the curve but if the employment economy chits the bed I'll probably be forced to hang it up.

We've been using the boat a little less and stuffing the extra money in the bank for a rainy day and doing renovations on the house instead...

We can't all be so fortunate but that doesn't mean I'm not jealous of those who are...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me its just simple math, $400 a weekend in gas, or $1600 a month for anything else, trips to Astralia, Nicer place to live? Four Wheelers? Limos? I still love boating but I think I can love other activities just as much with less money Honestly if I didn't own my boat out right I would have probably stopped last year.

WILL
Old 05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that this is my first year owning my own boat, I'm using my tax refund as boat gas. I'm trying not to buy gas on the water, instead, filling up on land whenever possible. The boat is kept on the trailer, so that's pretty easy to do.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Will not cut back just work a little harder,but I don't have it as bad as some of you guys.Filled up tonight on the water 89 octane $3.15 a gallon first time it was cheaper to live in NJ.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Are kayaks in our future??

The bigger question here is what is the high price of gas & diesel doing to the Whole US Economy! Its not good, it hits the large majority of families and individuals very hard as it in most cases seriously diminishes "disposable income", thats the money that makes boat payments, buys dinners out, funds vacations, etc, etc. Don't believe what the media and politicos tell you that the US gas users just pay the higher prices and keep on going. The first quarter economic results are already out and GNP only grew by anemic .6 percent and that was tweaked to look good by the current administration. If we have a flat second quarter which I suspect we will, the numbers won't be out until July, we are in a "Recession" by definition. I personally believe that the higher cost of fuels is at least 75% responsible for the downturn!! These oil companies are not worried, their war chests are fat with our hard earned cash contributions. We should be more proactive, just remember to scream and yell and tell all those in offices of influence that we are tired of being raped at the pump!! The truth is we got ourselves in a bad spot, the oil producers, refiners and distributors have got us by the "kahonnies" and they ain't done squeezin yet! They will stupidly kill the "Golden Goose"!
If boating and all other major recreational motoring is to survive in the future we are going to need about 30 million US drivers in Priuses and the like or the cost of fuels is going to have to come down to realistic levels which will take a real change in the supply-versus-demand curve.
Remember if you ignore this problem to:
"sleep tite, your elected officals and oil companies are awake tonight"!
Am I pissed off, you bet, I hate be screwed!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

Remember gents, as my 75 year old father (a boater from way back) just reminded me, it costs even more money NOT to run them. Take into account the cost of bad fuel stored by saving it, points,plugs and other electronics that fail when thay don't get used as regular, and the many other things that work better when used more frequently, the cost of gas is not nearly as expensive as letting a boat sit up. A good example is the "boys down south" (FLA) they get more hours than a fresh water boats up north that sit all winter. Besides, all things considered, spend another $2.00 a gallon, times 50 hours, 30 gallons an hour, $3,000, come on, for $100,000-$300,000 boat, it's pennies. Don't get me wrong, it's still wrong (gas companies) but frig it, you only live once.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Its weird put a few hundred in the boat don't like it but won't not use the boat.Last weekend filled th 1 1/2 gallon can for the mover cost five bucks that I think bothered me more
And yes I do believe it will (is) affecting the economy that with ARM mortgages going up consumer spending will drop
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
If boating and all other major recreational motoring is to survive in the future we are going to need about 30 million US drivers in Priuses and the like or the cost of fuels is going to have to come down to realistic levels which will take a real change in the supply-versus-demand curve.
Remember if you ignore this problem to:
"sleep tite, your elected officals and oil companies are awake tonight"!
Am I pissed off, you bet, I hate be screwed!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray, don't blame the oil companies. The industry profit margin is only 10%. Blaming the oil companies makes for great politics, but anyone who reads their income statements knows the whole blame game is a big lie. If you want to blame anyone, blame OPEC, blame the government who squanders all the gas tax money, and blame the emerging countries who are consuming more and more oil. The only thing that would bring down gas prices now would be a worldwide recession. I'm not holding my breath.

I think some people will give up boating, and some will go to smaller boats. The boating industry needs to start looking at fuel efficiency if it wants to draw in more boaters, or even keep the ones they have. I've got to think boat sales are dropping. Right now the fuel efficiency sucks. GM and Mercury Marine need to look to see how they can start running their engines leaner. The fuel is going out the tailpipes. Compression ratios need to come up from the 1980's 9 to 1, by using sophisticated knock sensors such as those used in today's cars. They should also work towards direct injection gasoline technology which is starting to show up in some cars (10% fuel savings AND better performance). Mercury needs to come up with some decent drives that can handle the torque of larger diesels, and get the cost and weight down on diesel packages. Perhaps surface drives are an option, too, with their lower drag. Boat manufacturers should get their boats on a diet, as well as, their trailers (trailering uses up fuel, too). Aluminum engine blocks have been in cars for years, and yet I have yet to see an aluminum engine block used by an OEM marine engine manufacturer (closed cooling is standard on some engines now so corrosion is not the issue).

It was one thing when it cost $100 to fill the boat, but $400 isn't going to fly with most people. Boats have to change with the times.

Michael
Old 06-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michael, with all due respect, they are screwing us royally. Boat no boat SUV no SUV. and all. There is only only so much power to be had with burning fuel ( per BTU). They are gouging.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HPJunkie
Michael, with all due respect, they are screwing us royally. Boat no boat SUV no SUV. and all. There is only only so much power to be had with burning fuel ( per BTU). They are gouging.
Agreed, 10% profit is killer profit for a industry of that size.

Hey, I can see paying extra when there is a actual shortage. But purposely crying wolf every other day to influence the market as big oil has consistently now that they have created the monopoly, is borderline criminal.
Never seen a actual "shortage" where no one runs out of stuff before.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices Affecting Boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.