Another sterio quesion ??

Old 01-11-2002, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by boot:
<STRONG>Do you think it is worth it ?</STRONG>
Hey Boot-

I should qualify this answer by saying that I do not personally own a JL Audio amp- so consider the source. However, I have friends who use them, and are very happy.

My opinion of Fosgate is simple. For many years, they were "King of the Audio Hill". If you wanted to go big, Rockford was the only answer. However, IMHO, there are others that have caught up to the Rockford brand. They have a great name, but understand it is a brand, just like a boat. Everyone has an opinion.

Suppossedly, RF rolled out some new stuff at CES...

Since I don't install or compete any longer, I hang around some audio forums, to keep up on the scene. IMHO this is one of the best, moderated by Richard Clark, one of the most respected audiophiles around. It is frequented by a mix of competitors, electrical engineers, shop owners, hobbyists, and installers. Not a lot of marketing info, just raw opiions (kinda like here).

One time, when Richard Clark was asked about what he would do different (with today's equipment) on one of his (90's) award winning GN systems, he said "...would definetly use a class D amp for subs and something like the JL amps for mids and highs"...

Other than Audiofn's allegiance to Rockford , I agree with the other options (add Hifonics and MMatts)...did I just say that??? I have put together some budget systems that sounded incredible...and I had some guys spend serious money on a dud. Like Audiofn said...it needs to work together. No weak links.

Remember, most audio companies will market thier brands to the consumer like anything else- get a much margin as possible. A Bayliner with "Fountain" painted on the side is still a Bayliner.

A $100 difference? IMHO, not worth it...but shop around...you may be able to close the gap...

Old 01-11-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always used Punch amps, currently running 2 punch 250's in the boat and a punch 60 in my car. Never let me down and have never shut off. And yes they are heavy duty. I am sure their are better, but I know Punch is very good.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Havasue Hangin You SO FUNNY

Anyhow I am not slammin the JL Audio stuff, well yes I am Seriously I am sure it is good stuff. Rockford still makes a great amp and they will for a long time. They have amps now that you can bridge together to one speaker, that is two amps, one speaker for som HUGE power. MMATTs I believe and I could be wrong has set the pace for SPL at 180 something SPLS!!! Zapco has always been for sound quality and that is what is going in my new truck. However for the 100 watts of Zapco that will be going in there you would have to spend 1800.00 bucks!!! The stuff is not cheap. It does sound SO sweet. I am glad that Havasue hangin emphasized the importance of system design over product cost, I can not stress how important that is!!

Christopher Robins: I am glad you are going to be all set soon and it was a pleasure helping you out. If you have any questions about how to hook any of the stuff up you know how to get me. When you are done with the install call me and I will give you some bass ideas on what is an exceptable level for the X-overs at leaste to start. You will have to tweek from there.

Jon
Old 01-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
THanks for all the info guys ! You can always count on the OSO to come through !

Audiofn, thanks for your personal help on my systems . I will hopefuly be ordering some stuff from you soon .

THank you all !
Old 01-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Cool

Originally posted by Audiofn:
<STRONG>Havasue Hangin You SO FUNNY...</STRONG>
I'm funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you. I make you laugh. Whadda mean funny? How am I funny?

<STRONG>...They have amps now that you can bridge together to one speaker, that is two amps, one speaker for som HUGE power. MMATTs I believe and I could be wrong has set the pace for SPL at 180 something </STRONG>
Yep...you can use one amp as a "slave" amp on a DVC sub...some of those subs in the Extreme Class are getting 3,000 watts each. MMats and thier Juggernaut subs are the big guns- however, those 180db+ cars are pushed into the lanes- not drivable- Lexan, soundproofing, etc. are the emphasis...

<STRONG>However for the 100 watts of Zapco that will be going in there you would have to spend 1800.00 bucks!!!</STRONG>
What kind of amps are in your vehicles, mr. moneybags?

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin ]
Old 01-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Havasure I believe that the cars have to be driven down the lane. I think they made that rule. Unless they changed it back. However I think that a electric motor to get it down the lane is acceptable!!

If you ever get a chance to hear a ZAPCO amp do so you will be amazed. Especially the Competition amps.

Jon
Old 01-12-2002, 07:42 AM
FWK

The MMATS are very nice amps. Along wih the other amps that were mentioned. The JL amp in Chris's case did not fit with what his system would require. It was 100 dollars more and had less power than the rockford. Jon you could not take it you had to tear the truck apart. I have always told my customers that the set up is one of the most important parts of a install. If you don't know how to set up the system all the best parts will sound terrible. Using quality equipment is the other. I like the equipment I use and I like a lot of equipment that I can not buy for my customers. In the electronics business there are alegiances formed just like the boats. I use equipment that I know the manufacturer will stand behind. Example: If you have a amp go bad I take it back and I expect the manufacturer to replace it over the counter not repair it for me. This gives me the ability to take care of the customer and not tell him that we are sending his amp off for repair it will be back someday.

Old 01-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FWK ,THat is a good repair policy .In my line of work ,if I know a part went bad I just replace it out of my stock and then send the broken one back on my time, not the customers .
Old 01-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Registered

I have a few brand new in sealed box Orion XTR 800.4 amps for sale. $372.50 each. I have been selling Orion for over 10 years and am positive anyone would be pleased. I have an overstock on Nakamichi as well as many other quality american made amps.

Visit www.buzz-off.com or call (813)882-8477 Mon-Sat 9-6 EST.