Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   teague engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159841-teague-engines.html)

tim mccray 06-12-2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2159779)
Was it a Lunati crank?

No, he used a Kryptonite crank.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2159553)
Does Teague own a Dyno yet? How does he come up with the numbers to rate his engines? I have heard many stories about the lack of service after the sale with warranty issues but people keep buying them.

Unless he just bought one, he doesn't have one. He used to send motors out when he needed numbers. He doesn't do all of his own machine work either. He's not like Paul Pfaff who has a full machine shop.

People buy the motors because he's got a big name in the industry. He's been around for a long time and works for Power Boat Magazine. That makes some people feel better. I don't go there anymore because I don't like the way I've been treated in the past. And in my opinion, his best mechanics left a while ago. One of them started So Cal Speed and Marine in Moorpark Ca. So when my boat is on this coast, it goes there and when in Florida it goes to Lipship.

Besides, the guy at So Cal is very honest, I haven't caught him in a lie and he hasn't over billed me either. I can't say that with other shop owners. One year I spent well over 100k at Teague. I was treated like family. After I spent the money there, I felt like I was being treated like I just got caught dumpster diving on the property.

Strip Poker 388 06-12-2007 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2159855)
Unless he just bought one, he doesn't have one. He used to send motors out when he needed numbers. He doesn't do all of his own machine work either. He's not like Paul Pfaff who has a full machine shop.

People buy the motors because he's got a big name in the industry. He's been around for a long time and works for Power Boat Magazine. That makes some people feel better. I don't go there anymore because I don't like the way I've been treated in the past. And in my opinion, his best mechanics left a while ago. One of them started So Cal Speed and Marine in Moorpark Ca. So when my boat is on this coast, it goes there and when in Florida it goes to Lipship.

Besides, the guy at So Cal is very honest, I haven't caught him in a lie and he hasn't over billed me either. I can't say that with other shop owners. One year I spent well over 100k at Teague. I was treated like family. After I spent the money there, I felt like I was being treated like I just got caught dumpster diving on the property.

Raylar posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylar
Yes, I believe they dyno most all their supercharged motors in house.

Ray @ Raylar
Ive always been told they didnt have one also ,

So in other words they dont dyno all the motors they build, some are just assembled and they just hope that theres not a problem:eek: :eek: They wish ya goodluck:p

Kinda like a shop I know thats out of biz now,it was giving out bogus dyno sheets and motors that never ran,etc.Hey this is what your motor is suppose to make:p

Bob280Silencer 06-12-2007 01:23 PM

Tim McCray,the valve cover bolts broke?

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:29 PM

One of his former employees told me that they just know what horse power it should make but that they don't dyno all of the motors. But they never offered any dyno sheets for mine. So as far as I know, I think they made 1000hp each. That's what I was told, but if you don't dyno, how do you know? Paul Pfaff does dyno and they do give you the sheets and actually go over everything with you. You would think that boat manufacturers would want to know when they use his motors in customer boats what they're actually getting.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob280Silencer (Post 2159955)
Tim McCray,the valve cover bolts broke?

Yea, I kept getting oil leaks from one engine and everytime I took it back I was told that some valve cover bolts broke making the cover loose and causing the leak.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2159940)
Raylar posted

Ive always been told they didnt have one also ,

So in other words they dont dyno all the motors they build, some are just assembled and they just hope that theres not a problem:eek: :eek: They wish ya goodluck:p

Kinda like a shop I know thats out of biz now,it was giving out bogus dyno sheets and motors that never ran,etc.Hey this is what your motor is suppose to make:p

I've seen them run motors before they go out. I don't think they just send them out with out any testing. I've seen them run them out side on a pallet, hook up a gas can, a battery, a garden hose and stick some mufflers on it, or stick it in the boat and run it. Maybe take it down to the lake and do a few laps.

customryder 06-12-2007 02:25 PM

be happy........ Mercury.........

mr_velocity 06-12-2007 02:36 PM

Not sure why having an inside dyno matters, come on Strip we both know one of the best builders on LI doesn't have an inhouse dyno but he does have access to one.

I've been running Teague 600s for the past 6 years. Always just start them and pin the throttles. Never had a problem. When it was time to do the valve springs just called the shop, they pulled my build sheets and gave me all the parts (new springs was a different height) and I was good to go. So far I haven't had any issues with customer service and I haven't spent over 100 grand either.

When I built my first motors I bought the parts from Teague, spent countless hours on the phone with Norm asking questions when I doing the assembly.

My dealing with them has been nothing but positive, Bob has always taken my calls or called right back if he wasn't available.

Panther 06-12-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2159982)
I've seen them run motors before they go out. I don't think they just send them out with out any testing. I've seen them run them out side on a pallet, hook up a gas can, a battery, a garden hose and stick some mufflers on it, or stick it in the boat and run it. Maybe take it down to the lake and do a few laps.

If it's a proven combo I don't think it's 100% necessary to dyno every engine but at least run them on the ground before hand.

Dyno's are bucu bucks! :(