Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   teague engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159841-teague-engines.html)

boatfreak 06-02-2007 05:53 PM

teague engines

Does anybody have any experience with the Teague 720s? What should be the life span of them, any common problems with them? Thanks

Griff 06-02-2007 08:18 PM

What a coincidence that there just happen to be 2 37 AT's for sale with Teague 720's :D :D

docmanrich37 06-03-2007 02:04 PM

Mike just pull the trigger cause I have never seen a meat wagon pulling a uhaul or a boat.:D

ACTIVESHACK 06-03-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2148661)
What a coincidence that there just happen to be 2 37 AT's for sale with Teague 720's :D :D

I was thinking the same thing :eureka:

Originally Posted by docmanrich37 (Post 2149084)
Mike just pull the trigger cause I have never seen a meat wagon pulling a uhaul or a boat.:D

Somebody said on one of the threads last week he had never seen a Brinks truck behind a hearse :drink:

Payton 06-03-2007 07:33 PM

Mike, it depends on how often you put all 720 ponies to work at once.:drink:

Just do it.

Raylar 06-04-2007 09:17 AM

Bobs brother Norm builds great motors and has an awesome reputation for his work. If the first owner has taken good care of Teagues work, GO for IT!

Ray @ Raylar

Strip Poker 388 06-04-2007 02:08 PM

Do they have a inhouse dyno?

Raylar 06-04-2007 10:42 PM

Yes, I believe they dyno most all their supercharged motors in house.

Ray @ Raylar

Strip Poker 388 06-04-2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 2151053)

Ray @ Raylar

I never heard if or anybody using them for Dynoing or them dynoing their motors.

Skullkrusher 06-05-2007 12:10 PM

"Yes, I believe they dyno most all their supercharged motors in house."

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 720 is not supercharged.

Sydwayz 06-05-2007 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Teague 720 is naturally aspirated, and it is a BAAAAAAAD motor.

Shallow Minded 06-05-2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2148661)

That means you can pick up the other one, Griff...:D :D :drink:

tim mccray 06-05-2007 03:14 PM

I had some engines built there a couple of years ago and they didn't have a dyno at that time. I don't think he has one now. He use to send them out to have that done if he needed the numbers.

Both Bob and Norm do great work, especially Norm. That 720 is a good engine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you were buying them from Bob new, I would say get the warranty in writing and make sure everything is clear. Because he tries hard to get out of fixing things when you bring them back after they break. At least he's done that to me in the past.

Tbonepmp 06-05-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2151909)
I had some engines built there a couple of years ago and they didn't have a dyno at that time. I don't think he has one now. He use to send them out to have that done if he needed the numbers.

Both Bob and Norm do great work, especially Norm. That 720 is a good engine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you were buying them from Bob new, I would say get the warranty in writing and make sure everything is clear. Because he tries hard to get out of fixing things when you bring them back after they break. At least he's done that to me in the past.

What was broke?

Griff 06-05-2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shallow Minded (Post 2151866)
That means you can pick up the other one, Griff...:D :D :drink:

Way!! Way!!!! over my budget.

tim mccray 06-11-2007 01:48 AM

I had him build two brand new engines. About 8 months later one engine blew. I never got a straight answer as to what exactly caused a cylinder to heat up and burn a piston. Before that I had to take it in a few other times for oil leaks. The valve cover bolts kept breaking. The next year the same motor blew. That time it was the crank shaft. The front of it broke off. He wouldn't warranty it the first time, so I knew he wouldn't fix it the second time either. I sold the boat right after.

MikeyFIN 06-11-2007 02:27 AM

IŽd say either a too tight a clearance in that cylinder or running too lean probably from an intake gasket leak.

Michael1 06-12-2007 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2151909)

He doesn't stand by his warranty, but "you shouldn't have anything to worry about.":eek:

FeverMike 06-12-2007 08:05 AM

Does Teague own a Dyno yet? How does he come up with the numbers to rate his engines? I have heard many stories about the lack of service after the sale with warranty issues but people keep buying them.

Lee 06-12-2007 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2157967)
I had him build two brand new engines. About 8 months later one engine blew. I never got a straight answer as to what exactly caused a cylinder to heat up and burn a piston. Before that I had to take it in a few other times for oil leaks. The valve cover bolts kept breaking. The next year the same motor blew. That time it was the crank shaft. The front of it broke off. He wouldn't warranty it the first time, so I knew he wouldn't fix it the second time either. I sold the boat right after.

Was it a Lunati crank?

tim mccray 06-12-2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2159779)
Was it a Lunati crank?

No, he used a Kryptonite crank.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2159553)
Does Teague own a Dyno yet? How does he come up with the numbers to rate his engines? I have heard many stories about the lack of service after the sale with warranty issues but people keep buying them.

Unless he just bought one, he doesn't have one. He used to send motors out when he needed numbers. He doesn't do all of his own machine work either. He's not like Paul Pfaff who has a full machine shop.

People buy the motors because he's got a big name in the industry. He's been around for a long time and works for Power Boat Magazine. That makes some people feel better. I don't go there anymore because I don't like the way I've been treated in the past. And in my opinion, his best mechanics left a while ago. One of them started So Cal Speed and Marine in Moorpark Ca. So when my boat is on this coast, it goes there and when in Florida it goes to Lipship.

Besides, the guy at So Cal is very honest, I haven't caught him in a lie and he hasn't over billed me either. I can't say that with other shop owners. One year I spent well over 100k at Teague. I was treated like family. After I spent the money there, I felt like I was being treated like I just got caught dumpster diving on the property.

Strip Poker 388 06-12-2007 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2159855)
Unless he just bought one, he doesn't have one. He used to send motors out when he needed numbers. He doesn't do all of his own machine work either. He's not like Paul Pfaff who has a full machine shop.

People buy the motors because he's got a big name in the industry. He's been around for a long time and works for Power Boat Magazine. That makes some people feel better. I don't go there anymore because I don't like the way I've been treated in the past. And in my opinion, his best mechanics left a while ago. One of them started So Cal Speed and Marine in Moorpark Ca. So when my boat is on this coast, it goes there and when in Florida it goes to Lipship.

Besides, the guy at So Cal is very honest, I haven't caught him in a lie and he hasn't over billed me either. I can't say that with other shop owners. One year I spent well over 100k at Teague. I was treated like family. After I spent the money there, I felt like I was being treated like I just got caught dumpster diving on the property.

Raylar posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylar

Ray @ Raylar
Ive always been told they didnt have one also ,

So in other words they dont dyno all the motors they build, some are just assembled and they just hope that theres not a problem:eek: :eek: They wish ya goodluck:p

Kinda like a shop I know thats out of biz now,it was giving out bogus dyno sheets and motors that never ran,etc.Hey this is what your motor is suppose to make:p

Bob280Silencer 06-12-2007 01:23 PM

Tim McCray,the valve cover bolts broke?

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:29 PM

One of his former employees told me that they just know what horse power it should make but that they don't dyno all of the motors. But they never offered any dyno sheets for mine. So as far as I know, I think they made 1000hp each. That's what I was told, but if you don't dyno, how do you know? Paul Pfaff does dyno and they do give you the sheets and actually go over everything with you. You would think that boat manufacturers would want to know when they use his motors in customer boats what they're actually getting.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob280Silencer (Post 2159955)
Tim McCray,the valve cover bolts broke?

Yea, I kept getting oil leaks from one engine and everytime I took it back I was told that some valve cover bolts broke making the cover loose and causing the leak.

tim mccray 06-12-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2159940)
Raylar posted

Ive always been told they didnt have one also ,

So in other words they dont dyno all the motors they build, some are just assembled and they just hope that theres not a problem:eek: :eek: They wish ya goodluck:p

Kinda like a shop I know thats out of biz now,it was giving out bogus dyno sheets and motors that never ran,etc.Hey this is what your motor is suppose to make:p

I've seen them run motors before they go out. I don't think they just send them out with out any testing. I've seen them run them out side on a pallet, hook up a gas can, a battery, a garden hose and stick some mufflers on it, or stick it in the boat and run it. Maybe take it down to the lake and do a few laps.

customryder 06-12-2007 02:25 PM

be happy........ Mercury.........

mr_velocity 06-12-2007 02:36 PM

Not sure why having an inside dyno matters, come on Strip we both know one of the best builders on LI doesn't have an inhouse dyno but he does have access to one.

I've been running Teague 600s for the past 6 years. Always just start them and pin the throttles. Never had a problem. When it was time to do the valve springs just called the shop, they pulled my build sheets and gave me all the parts (new springs was a different height) and I was good to go. So far I haven't had any issues with customer service and I haven't spent over 100 grand either.

When I built my first motors I bought the parts from Teague, spent countless hours on the phone with Norm asking questions when I doing the assembly.

My dealing with them has been nothing but positive, Bob has always taken my calls or called right back if he wasn't available.

Panther 06-12-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by tim mccray (Post 2159982)
I've seen them run motors before they go out. I don't think they just send them out with out any testing. I've seen them run them out side on a pallet, hook up a gas can, a battery, a garden hose and stick some mufflers on it, or stick it in the boat and run it. Maybe take it down to the lake and do a few laps.

If it's a proven combo I don't think it's 100% necessary to dyno every engine but at least run them on the ground before hand.

Dyno's are bucu bucks! :(

Panther 06-12-2007 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2160241)
Just wondering- why not just use merc's 700's?...

ARM.....LEG....$$$:eek:

Strip Poker 388 06-12-2007 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2160081)
Not sure why having an inside dyno matters, come on Strip we both know one of the best builders on LI doesn't have an inhouse dyno but he does have access to one.

I've been running Teague 600s for the past 6 years. Always just start them and pin the throttles. Never had a problem. When it was time to do the valve springs just called the shop, they pulled my build sheets and gave me all the parts (new springs was a different height) and I was good to go. So far I haven't had any issues with customer service and I haven't spent over 100 grand either.

When I built my first motors I bought the parts from Teague, spent countless hours on the phone with Norm asking questions when I doing the assembly.

My dealing with them has been nothing but positive, Bob has always taken my calls or called right back if he wasn't available.

Sounds like youve had good luck with them.

I would say the LI guy dynoes 99% .

I just dont like not dynoing or atleast running a motor before putting them in a boat,car etc,if ya had a prob you have to pull em.What if there is a carb,injector,mapping prob and it melts a pistion on the first test run in the boat.

I have never seen a engine break in runing on the ground.Ive allways had to put a load on them.

If I bought a engine that was 750HP or higher I would want it dynoed,etc.

Panther 06-12-2007 05:41 PM

Strip,

I see your point and agree for the most part. For small engines like Mr_Velocity I may not bother with a dyno. Now on 700+ hp motors there's no doubt... For an extra $500 bucks or so that it costs, I'd rather have it blow up on the dyno than in the boat. Plus, once it's in my hand it's ready to run, no garbage left to do. :)

Strip Poker 388 06-12-2007 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2160355)
Strip,

I see your point and agree for the most part. For small engines like Mr_Velocity I may not bother with a dyno. Now on 700+ hp motors there's no doubt... For an extra $500 bucks or so that it costs, I'd rather have it blow up on the dyno than in the boat. Plus, once it's in my hand it's ready to run, no garbage left to do. :)

I agree.

Like this past winter on mine I just did a freshen and didnt change anything on the combo. We were able to dyno both motors in the same day at Precision Marine in New Orleans La,I had the peace of mine that I didnt forget something:eek: and I dont have to touch them for the rest of the year.:p

Havaduner 06-12-2007 06:58 PM

Hello everyone, first post for me. I ran a 720 in my last boat. Only problem I had was a blown powervalve in the carb, they warranteed it no questions. Had 200 hours on it when I submerged it. They tore it down, Bob told me it was a shame I filled it with water, as the enternals all looked "cherry". I had it rebuilt, and had every intention of running it till I found someone who needed a 720 in a hurry, and mine was the only one available so I sold it as I had no boat to put it in. I'm now running an 800EFI with no issues. Hope this helps.

mr_velocity 06-12-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2160313)
Sounds like youve had good luck with them.

I would say the LI guy dynoes 99% .

I just dont like not dynoing or atleast running a motor before putting them in a boat,car etc,if ya had a prob you have to pull em.What if there is a carb,injector,mapping prob and it melts a pistion on the first test run in the boat.

I have never seen a engine break in runing on the ground.Ive allways had to put a load on them.

If I bought a engine that was 750HP or higher I would want it dynoed,etc.

If you want your motor run on a dyno Teague will run them on a dyno. May not be his but he has access and is willing to do it.

mr_velocity 06-12-2007 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2160355)
Strip,

Of everyone I know you're the only person that can't put the motors in once and be done. You always get bit by something and sometimes I get to witness it.....garbage....Sak doesn't have enough dumpsters for ya :eek:

Build
dyno - everything looks great.
Lose a head gasket because they were wrong.
Lost a time chain because it was wrong.
Think there was another dyno run in there somewhere.
Burnt valves or was it just seats because of the wrong cam.
another dyno run

dyno don't mean chit if you can't put a good package together in the first place.

SkiDoc 06-12-2007 09:34 PM

My Teagues run great. Whenever I call with maintainence questions they put me through to Bob and he answers my questions. If he's not there, he will call back. I would buy them again. I like to buy my parts there as well because you always talk to someone competent and they stock a lot of different parts.

Donman 06-12-2007 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle (Post 2160686)
I like to buy my parts there as well because you always talk to someone competent and they stock a lot of different parts.

Ditto . . .

tim mccray 06-12-2007 10:23 PM

For the record, my other engine ran great. Only the one broke twice. :D