Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who makes aluminum gooseneck boat trailer - East Coast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159939-who-makes-aluminum-gooseneck-boat-trailer-east-coast.html)

jayhawk261 06-05-2007 08:31 PM

I believe the people I just ordered my new trailer from will do a gooseneck. They are www.instigatortrailers.com . I have seen one of their trailers and it is a nice piece. That's why I ordered from them. They are hard to get a hold of. You usually have to leave a message and Brett will call back. If you call them, tell them Randy Nicholson sent you. Maybe I'll get a discount on my trailer for the referral!:D They are not east coast though. They are in the Houston area. They will ship to wherever from what they say. Give them a shout!

EDIT: Yep, I just checked out their website. Under options it says "Gooseneck $1230.00"

boatman22 06-06-2007 06:11 AM

Good find.. i live just about 3 miles north of Tomball. I'm gonna go check them out today. I'll let everyone know what they say ans the quality of their work....

boatman22 06-06-2007 06:16 AM

Tomball is their mailing address.. The plant is in Houston and I will check them out when I get back from the Jax PR.

East Coast B 06-06-2007 07:09 AM

So far most everything I've heard is that goosenecks are awesome for towing compared to off the standard frame hitch.

Downsides is extra cost, extra storage length, resale(not everyone is interested in a gooseneck).

I'd pay an extra grand for a gooseneck! But, will it fit in the garage!!! Where's my sawzaw???

Hottrucks 06-06-2007 07:21 AM

Keep us posted
I want to have a trailer built so I can carry a motorcycle in front of the boat for our go away trips ( we do alot of this) I don't like being on forine waters at night and the bike is a great way to get around...trying to do this with a tag along is to much weight for a straight htich since the 700lb bike would have to be up front to make it work!!!

I could even go steel since I'm mostly in fresh water

Jeff

East Coast B 06-06-2007 07:29 AM

Just spoke with Brett at instigator and they aren't doing goosenecks any longer....

jayhawk261 06-06-2007 09:12 AM

Sorry ECB, that's all I knew about:(

East Coast B 06-06-2007 11:58 AM

Just talked with American Classic High Performance Aluminum trailers in Utica Michigan.... http://zinnermarine.com/models.htm#Tri

About 6500 for tagalong trailer, to add goose neck, price came up to 11,000. Instigators price is awesome, sucks they aren't building them anymore...

East Coast B 06-06-2007 12:13 PM

Checked with Owens & Sons.... no goosenecks either....

Sydwayz 06-06-2007 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hottrucks (Post 2152803)
Keep us posted
I want to have a trailer built so I can carry a motorcycle in front of the boat for our go away trips ( we do alot of this) I don't like being on forine waters at night and the bike is a great way to get around...trying to do this with a tag along is to much weight for a straight htich since the 700lb bike would have to be up front to make it work!!!

I could even go steel since I'm mostly in fresh water

Jeff

Actually building the trailer is not that big of a deal. Engineering it to carry the weight is not that big of a deal.

However, the problem comes in when you talk about using it.
1st. The axles are going to be located slightly more forward to balance the weight of the setup with the bike loaded. Meaning, you are ALWAYS going to have to have the bike (or 700 lbs) on the trailer for travel, otherwise the rear end of your truck will be loose when traveling.

2nd. Loading/unloading the boat. You are going to need the weight of the bike on the trailer in order to provide enough weight on the rear axle of the truck for traction up and down launch ramps. Problem is, you probably won't want the bike on the trailer; getting near the water.

You are better off of with a long bed dually 1-ton (or bigger), and keeping the bike in the bed of the truck; with upgraded suspension and rear-air bags. Throttle Therapy here on OSO aka Tom & Kim have no issues towing their 388 Hustler on a steel trailer with their Big Dog chopper in the bed of their F-350, under a fiberglass topper; with upgraded springs and air bags.