Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Using Pledge Furniture Polish on Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160706-using-pledge-furniture-polish-boats.html)

good2go38 06-12-2007 08:38 PM

Using Pledge Furniture Polish on Boats

Did you guys read the article in Powerboat this month on maintaining your canvas cover? The guy talks about Pledge being an excellent chemical on zippers and anything plastic and also mentions using it on the interior?
Has anybody tried it?
I use 303 but I am open to new ideas.

Strip Poker 388 06-12-2007 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by good2go38 (Post 2160597)
Did you guys read the article in Powerboat this month on maintaining your canvas cover? The guy talks about Pledge being an excellent chemical on zippers and anything plastic and also mentions using it on the interior?
Has anybody tried it?
I use 303 but I am open to new ideas.

I am in the Furniture biz and I would not use it on my boat .

phragle 06-12-2007 10:25 PM

back in the motorcycle industry, we used to use it instead of armorall to keep things shiny...

FeverMike 06-12-2007 10:33 PM

I have used it on my boats before. I does not last out in the elements. This is an old boat show trick to quickly shine up a boat....this was before all the instant detailers sprays like Mequirs Instant Detailer or The Wax Shop Slick Stuff came out.

hunster 06-12-2007 10:41 PM

Does work good on plastic! I do a lot of window tinting and it's the best thing for the tint! Of course I sell my customers the "special" tint cleaner and protectant.

waterboy222 06-12-2007 10:55 PM

ya, works fabulous on boats INDOORS but once the water/sun hit it, it kills it.. i used to use it on my bikes on the showroom floor. I use it for taking photos previous to the desert races but that **** attracts dust like no OTHER!

Hauling Trash 06-12-2007 11:02 PM

Old school. But nice cover up.

Mike

customryder 06-12-2007 11:31 PM

yes .. it works.

Magic34 06-13-2007 03:04 AM

I would think it would promote oxidation by not allowing the surface to "breathe."

I am in the business (car care) and never really sent Pledge to my lab or looked at it other than doing my cabinets. I know I hate having it on my hands.

offshoredrillin 06-13-2007 06:05 AM

and your boat smells lemony fresh :D

kennyo 06-13-2007 07:53 AM

I had a black gelcoat stripe down the middle of my deck. I buffed my ass off and it'd last a week or two. I started spraying pledge on it when i'd go out and threw the buffer away.

ziemer 06-13-2007 08:27 AM

I used to use it on my eisenglass both on the boat and also on my Jeep. However, I was always told to use the plain Pledge and not the Lemon or any other flavor. ;) :cool:

omerta one 06-13-2007 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ziemer (Post 2161070)
I used to use it on my eisenglass both on the boat and also on my Jeep. However, I was always told to use the plain Pledge and not the Lemon or any other flavor. ;) :cool:

Ditto.

hpoffshore 06-13-2007 11:24 AM

Non-lemon is the trick for eisenglass.

rainmn 06-13-2007 11:39 AM

When I had my Porsche cab, lots of people on Rennlist swore by Pledge for the plastic back window.
Personally, I always used the Novus plastic polishes and had better luck with them. Been using that stuff on Jeeps, motorcycle windshields, helmet visors, and eisenglass for years.

Michael1 06-13-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Magic34 (Post 2160861)
I would think it would promote oxidation by not allowing the surface to "breathe."

"Breathing" is exactly what causes oxidation. You want to keep oxygen away from any substance you don't want to oxidize.

Michael

REBEL4845 06-13-2007 11:57 AM

I use NON-lemon/citrus on all interior except for the vinle. It does work great and lasts about a week.

cuda 06-13-2007 12:38 PM

It works well to take scratches out of plasic lens glasses.

good2go38 06-13-2007 06:08 PM

Pledge

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will use it on the zippers and 303 everywhere else.
Also ChapStick is suppose to work great on the cover snaps.

Spicy 06-13-2007 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by hpoffshore (Post 2161359)
Non-lemon is the trick for eisenglass.

Please explain in detail over an adult beverage on Friday... Our friend from Lauderdale was here at my house last night and will be back on Friday, we are heading over for crabs Friday afternoon on the 400SS...

SeaRay Jim 06-13-2007 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by good2go38 (Post 2161977)
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will use it on the zippers and 303 everywhere else.
Also ChapStick is suppose to work great on the cover snaps.

Chap-stick is the perfect size to use on snaps, and being a wax works great but can make loose snaps harder to keep snapped.

hpoffshore 06-14-2007 09:08 AM

Patrick,
I'm there...call me when you're headed this way! Crab Deck?

Spicy 06-14-2007 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by hpoffshore (Post 2162794)
Patrick,
I'm there...call me when you're headed this way! Crab Deck?

Um, OK...... We are taking Jay to pick his boat up from that Dealer across the street from you so he doesnt have to leave a car on the dark side with Beach Traffic..... We will be in touch!!!!!

Magic34 06-14-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2161379)
"Breathing" is exactly what causes oxidation. You want to keep oxygen away from any substance you don't want to oxidize.

Michael

I have been taught by paint industry professionals that clogging the paint up for a long time, then exposing to the air is what causes the ozidation, so yes you are correct. If the correct product was used in the first place it would be a balance and last forever. Straight "clogging" the paint up is bad for it as I had been instructed.

WILD 1 06-14-2007 03:25 PM

We Use Pro Prep On Everything - Works Great!!!

stephenleon 02-23-2024 12:18 AM

Yes I second it, pledge also does not work for me. Then I tried carnauba wax, its results were awesome.

Kevin Schulte 02-23-2024 10:58 AM

Guys, I know a thing or two about plastics. I do not recommend Pledge on vinyl glass and plastic.
The ingredient found in Pledge, silicone works as a short term deterrent to release the surface tension to remove any contamination. Over a short period of time the inherent properties found in Silicone will attract more dust, dirt and other contamination to the surface. And the cycle begins again. This is done on purpose by JohnsonDiversity to increase the consumability of their product Pledge, not to protect any said surface from long term outdoor exposure. The gamesmanship JohnsonDiversity uses is for you to consume more and more! The fact of the matter is Pledge was designed as an indoor cleaner so Pledge does not contain any UV inhibitors or any ingredients that conditions the surface to protect from the elements.

My company has specifically formulated a Protectant Cleaner & Polish with a UV component for plastics and vinyl glass. Like you I am a boater too! and got tired of the high price of Plexus.
https://www.hardlineproducts.com/pro...leaner-polish/
Check out our RX UV Protectant Cleaner & Polish ask Tank or Cash Bar on this board how great it works!

thisistank 02-23-2024 01:04 PM

Duplicate

ICDEDPPL 02-23-2024 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by stephenleon (Post 4891522)
Yes I second it, pledge also does not work for me. Then I tried carnauba wax, its results were awesome.

So I just wanna get this straight , after 17 years of research you`ve found that pledge isn`t a good boat cleaner but wax is?? Who would have thunk it.
Ive been using mop and glow on my seats, can you research that? I`ll be back to check this thread in 2041 to see what you`ve come up with.
Thanx BOT!

thisistank 02-23-2024 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Schulte (Post 4891588)
Guys, I know a thing or two about plastics. I do not recommend Pledge on vinyl glass and plastic.
The ingredient found in Pledge, silicone works as a short term deterrent to release the surface tension to remove any contamination. Over a short period of time the inherent properties found in Silicone will attract more dust, dirt and other contamination to the surface. And the cycle begins again. This is done on purpose by JohnsonDiversity to increase the consumability of their product Pledge, not to protect any said surface from long term outdoor exposure. The gamesmanship JohnsonDiversity uses is for you to consume more and more! The fact of the matter is Pledge was designed as an indoor cleaner so Pledge does not contain any UV inhibitors or any ingredients that conditions the surface to protect from the elements.

My company has specifically formulated a Protectant Cleaner & Polish with a UV component for plastics and vinyl glass. Like you I am a boater too! and got tired of the high price of Plexus.
Check out our RX UV Protectant Cleaner & Polish ask Tank or Cash Bar on this board how great it works!

I buy this stuff by the case load! There’s other members on here I’ve sent pics and touted its use too. I have a matte black golf cart with plexiglass screen I use it on and it leaves a long lasting glossy / fresh waxed finish. I also use it on my truck, car and boat. As well as anything else I can think
of. I absolutely 100% love this sh*t. Zero negative to say about it. Like I said, I keep a case at the ready and Keep a can in the truck on the boat.

anyone looking for a fantastic “quick wax” wipe down it is well worth it to at least give it a shot. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

just my .02

few shots of freshly wiped down stuff with RX.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...35974ed7d.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...9b6461b37.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...156f72dd2.jpeg

CheckmateScarab 02-23-2024 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Schulte (Post 4891588)

Interesting, thanks for sharing this product, I've never heard of this. Does this work on gloss wraps? My boat is wrapped in VViViD piano black gloss and have been trying to find a wax / shiny coating + protectant that's easy to apply

Kevin Schulte 02-26-2024 08:03 AM

RX UV Plastic Cleaner and Protectant will work excellent on your gloss wrap. Use a Micro-Fiber Towel for application.
-Kevin

cdail28590 02-27-2024 10:30 AM

The shipping on the Hardline cleaner and protectant is crazy. Shipping cost more than the product and it goes up the more product you order. $14.99 for the protectant is reasonable but $15.92 to ship 1 can and $31.84 for 2 cans is crazy.

Kevin Schulte 02-27-2024 10:45 AM

cdail28590, shipping is based off where you live. Unlike many retailers I do not take a mark-up on UPS shipping. A can weighs more than a pound so we use UPS because USPS ends up being the same, not to mention when you ship with USPS you might not get it! We are checking the UPS system why it doubled the price for shipping on two cans, that is not right. I will get it fixed immediately. -Kevin

PS: if you would like to avoid shipping all together walk into West Marine. I private label RX UV Protectant Cleaner & Polish for them.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...eb550633d3.jpg

Sydwayz 02-27-2024 11:15 AM

I've been fortunate to know Kevin (and his family) for over 20 years through OSO and SCOPE. And I've used his products since before meeting him. You can trust his brand, no questions asked. Here is a link to the product in his store on Amazon:

Hardline Products Rx UV Protectant Cleaner & Polish
https://a.co/d/aDeZM93

ICDEDPPL 02-28-2024 12:24 AM

Free shipping on amazon...

Quinlan 02-28-2024 05:09 AM

Hate to hear that ^^^^ after I order some already :lolhit:

cdail28590 02-28-2024 12:18 PM

Didn't even think to look on Amazon just went straight to the Website. I'll look at it on Amazon. Thanks for the information.

Kevin Schulte 02-28-2024 12:23 PM

We corrected our Website but Amazon is Free Shipping for Prime members so go there if that works for you.
-Kevin

ICDEDPPL 02-28-2024 02:02 PM

I also payed $37 for shipping of 2 cans. $29 worth of product, $37 in shipping
Would have been free shipping on Amazon . ( also ordered another can there)