Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do you help other boaters? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/160738-do-you-help-other-boaters.html)

prosno 06-13-2007 07:09 AM

Do you help other boaters?

I was at the ramp today loading my boat and having a bit of a time cause current was strong when a guy who just loaded his boat came over and helped. I have noticed that boat people for the most part help each other alot.
How many of you help others out as well?
I remember 10 years ago when I was at the ramp and a nasty storm rolled in, once I was loaded I parked and helped others get out quick. Lots of grateful faces that day.

resurrected 06-13-2007 07:20 AM

A friend in need is a............. PEST!

Just kidding, I would help anybody in need of a hand.

satisfactionII 06-13-2007 07:24 AM

offer help to a fellow boater, absolutely. Do unto others = good karma. :cool:

offshoredrillin 06-13-2007 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII (Post 2160975)

agreed

marineclean 06-13-2007 07:29 AM

Yep

kennyo 06-13-2007 07:42 AM

All the time. It doesn't keep my engines from blowing but it does seem to help on my tow-ins!

Panther 06-13-2007 08:00 AM

I'd want someone to help me out so yes, I always help others! :cool:

UNSANE 06-13-2007 08:03 AM

Yes...........and I never turn down help, even if I don't really need it.

Clay Washington 06-13-2007 08:07 AM

I always help the lady boaters. :D

marineclean 06-13-2007 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2161042)
Boobies Required! After inspection then I'll lend a hand

:evilb:

CAP071 06-13-2007 08:20 AM

We were with the Coast Guard AUX last week doing inspections handing out the 2007 stickers and Yes right in front of us.........

a guy starts backing down the ramp with NOTHING hooked up :eek:

I was amazed at how many people just F-ing stood there and said nothing. Myself along with 2 other guys did a 50 yard dash and stopped the boat from sliding off!

nadledvinka 06-13-2007 08:24 AM

Always. A few years back I helped a couple that were unloading a sea doo and it got lost from the wife at the launch while hubby was parking the truck and started floating down the river. Later that day they were nice enough to give me a 45 minute tow back after blowing my outdrive. Be nice and it will always come back around.

I AGREE....Do unto others=GOOD KARMA

Tony Montana 06-13-2007 08:25 AM

Yep :)

ENFORCER24 06-13-2007 08:53 AM

I'd have to say as a hard core boater (every weekend) no matter how new or nice your rig is theres always a chance you will have a problem on the water , and the more you boat the more the chances rise , hence you should always keep a stockpile of good karma under a seat cushon or in the cooler , i always help , even keep my eyes open at boats that are stopped on the water to make sure i dont see the arms waving above there heads , good deeds WILL come back 2 fold

just my .02

P.S good thread!!!!

rush 06-13-2007 09:02 AM

Yes, I even pulled a blow boat off a sandbar last week.

yesrej 06-13-2007 09:10 AM

i am called a dock boy at my marina. i always help people get into there slip. it was the first thing my father tought me. before i knew anything about operating a boat i knew how to tie one up and what to do to help people into a slip. he always told me that helping people in will make your weekends much better by making new friends and youll always have someone at the dock waiting for you to come in. and he was right about both.

mrssun 06-13-2007 09:15 AM

In a heartbeat!! I remember a couple years back doing a poker run and seeing a flare go up off to the left of us. Told my husband and we took off to help. Long story short - boat went down but all people were safe. Boaters have to watch out for eachother!

Havaduner 06-13-2007 09:42 AM

Don't think it can be said any better!

BY U BOY 06-13-2007 09:53 AM

always no matter what. Hell i towed someone in during the Tickfaw 200 who was not part of the run.

wstultz 06-13-2007 09:58 AM

Already helped several people this season. Think of it if you were stuck somewhere broken down...I know that has been me several times.

yesrej 06-13-2007 10:01 AM

we have alot of boats that come to my marina for service and when they come in there are always a few people to help them in and they think they work there cause they ask and we tell them we are just there enjoying the weekend. they are always surprised and tell us that they have never been to a marina where people would just get off there boats to help someone in.

CustomRigger101 06-13-2007 10:06 AM

i'll ask if they need help and if they say no.. thennnn

if yes i will always help

GLH 06-13-2007 10:09 AM

I do if I can and I have the empty fire-extinghisers to show for it. :eek: :D

StraightJacket 06-13-2007 10:10 AM

Try to do it all the time, have made some great friends in the process.

Mark 06-13-2007 10:16 AM

As a kid, our first boat was a sailboat. Ever try docking one of these things? Everybody at the docks would scramble out of their boats to help each other. Learned that day one.
Later worked as a dock hand in the summers. What a cool job for a youngster!

TexomaPowerboater 06-13-2007 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CustomRigger101 (Post 2161230)
i'll ask if they need help and if they say no.. thennnn

if yes i will always help

I always try to help, but some people get just like to do it the hard way. Although....... I have ran into some people that maybe should not have been helped. Since we have a lakehouse there are always people coming up on shore at night who are drunk, lost, and run out of gas - I don't give them gas because I would rather them sleep it off on the shore than to get themselves hurt. Besided if they don't know where they are then all the gas in the world will not get them home. One time I also had a guy who was drunk run his boat completely out of the water (prop in the air) he asked if we could push him off - I told him that the boat might not float. He said it will - I have done this a couple of times. I should of let him sit on land and wait till the cops picked him up because he didn't have any business on the water. You would thing that after the first time he would stop doing it, but some people never learn.

handfulz28 06-13-2007 10:32 AM

Grateful for the help I've received, will always help when I can.

jhiguy377 06-13-2007 11:47 AM

of course.

wananewboat 06-13-2007 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by rush (Post 2161128)
Yes, I even pulled a blow boat off a sandbar last week.

That's asking to much. I hope you were laughing the whole time.:drink:

pacsdr 06-13-2007 01:06 PM

Too many times to count, what goes around comes around

fountain4play 06-13-2007 01:47 PM

all the time...yea never know when it might be you that needs some assistance...heck i've even stopped while going WOT when i noticed a jetskier having problems getting back to their ski...if it doesn't look right i always slow down and offer to help out...

Gizmo 06-13-2007 02:01 PM

Yep, many times......

Last year at Buggs Island lake, a guy dropped his boat off the trailer on the ramp. Helped him!

Last year on our Poker Run, one of the guys from Lake Norman broke something in his motor (rocker arm, I beleive). Towed him in.

Two years ago, I was zipping down the "Riva" and happened on a capsized boat with three people hanging on to it. Put them on my boat a called for help.

You just never know when you may need a helping hand.......:D

ktron 06-13-2007 02:08 PM

I always help

deanpp 06-13-2007 02:27 PM

We Always help someone who needs it. The Boating community is made up of the Finest peolpe. They are always helping and waving to each other. I think thats why we enjoy it so much.

cbeastwood 06-13-2007 03:01 PM

Always - what goes around comes around. The only person I didn't help was the guy who cut in front of me at the ramp a few years ago, and proceeded to launch his boat, handing his wife standing on the dock the line, while forgetting to tie the line to the boat. I just stood there with everybody else watching the boat float down-river.

One thing I have noticed is that in general the only people who won't help you do anything is guys in fishing boats. I'm not talking CC's; I'm talking little 16' fishing boats. They all seem to think that the lake belongs to them...

f311fr1 06-13-2007 04:17 PM

Yes, I will stop and help any time. Others have done the same for me.

INSTIGATOR ICBM 06-13-2007 04:22 PM

I agree helping people = good Karma. Last year during a poker run one of my customers got ejected from his boat we pulled up a few minutes later tpwed his skater back top the dock and rushed him and his son to the dock for medical attention. Once he was out of the hospital he called and thanked me. I told him any time,not only are you a good customer/ friend but you were a fellow boater in need.

88formula223 06-13-2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by cbeastwood (Post 2161732)
Always - what goes around comes around. The only person I didn't help was the guy who cut in front of me at the ramp a few years ago, and proceeded to launch his boat, handing his wife standing on the dock the line, while forgetting to tie the line to the boat. I just stood there with everybody else watching the boat float down-river.

One thing I have noticed is that in general the only people who won't help you do anything is guys in fishing boats. I'm not talking CC's; I'm talking little 16' fishing boats. They all seem to think that the lake belongs to them...

Agree

everyone in a sparkly fishing boat thinks the lake belongs to them and they don't have to follow the rules. At the lake I'm always at they think the no wake zone is a suggestion fuks

bouyhunter 06-13-2007 05:40 PM

I always simply thought this was just a rule of the water.
No matter what kind of boat you're required to help. Maybe not legally (but maybe).
I think it's Maritime law.
At least that's the way I've always looked at it.

Steve Zuckerman 06-13-2007 05:48 PM

I towed a friend in recently who had blown his mota:( , I told him "I feel your pain brother, I've been on both ends of this rope". Thanks to the guys that pulled me when I was on the other end:cool: ...........yea, we have to help each other out:D .
Steve