Like Tree0Likes

300 Mercury

Reply
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
  #21
Registered
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: USR, NJ
My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine
Posts: 4,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
u like those fat shafts huh.....
All you have to do is point the boat, Ill handle the rest
And if anyone is getting the shaft....Kenny will be the first to know about it
Tantrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM
  #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hingham,ma.
My Boats: 1973 Magnum Sedan 27'O/B
Posts: 505
Default

Hi Tantrum, Seem you have alot of experience w/OB. I have a "73 MAGNUM Sedan W/'98 300h.p. Mercs app. 60 hrs. on them,24-4blade Hyrdomotive props,Got 69.7 GPS so far. Usually cruise @3500,...........Should i have anything to worry about? Any segustions For more speed? Thanks, Michael
HIGH LIFE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:03 PM
  #23
Registered
 
stecz20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco CA
My Boats: I am Jersey's B!tch
Posts: 7,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
All you have to do is point the boat, Ill handle the rest
And if anyone is getting the shaft....Kenny will be the first to know about it
whos kenny?????

oh that guy with that slow ass skater.... i think i know him....
stecz20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
  #24
Registered
 
dreamboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southern Maryland
My Boats: 2000 28 Skater
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I would definatly upgrade to the fat shaft by the way. That would be money well spent I think.

How may hours where you getting from the small shafts before they broke?
I have broken 2 in the last 30 hours or so. The last time was in a poker run with a lot of gas and weight in the boat. Recently I was running a set of 15x34 3 blades that Bblades did for me. Not really much gas but 4 passengers. I was only running about 50mph when it happened. I did not have any issues before I started turning the props in however. My boat is about 4 mph turning in.
dreamboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lakes Region NH
My Boats: 1987 24 Skater with da twins 103 @ 7200rpm Not bad for an Old Boat with 2.4's
Posts: 51
Default

My question about broken prop shafts would be what type of water do you run in??? I run on mostly smooth water ( under 2' chop) I shouldn't say anythng but I haven't broken one yet but I check my gear oil EVERY TIME I get back and change it about every 10 hours...
I would think if you run ruffer water where the boat leaves the water more it may happen more often??

I run twin worked 2.4's and 30 X 14.5 merc clevers

Maybe diameter also effects it????
Hottrucks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:02 PM
  #26
Registered
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: USR, NJ
My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine
Posts: 4,000
Default

High Life, The AMT was the only HP boat Ive owned with outboards so my experience is very limited.

The trick to outboards is set-up. Motor height, spacing, and good props.

As far as things to worry about......dont bend over in front of Stecz.
Tantrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM
  #27
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hingham,ma.
My Boats: 1973 Magnum Sedan 27'O/B
Posts: 505
Default

Hi Tantrum, Seem you have alot of experience w/OB. I have a "73 MAGNUM Sedan W/'98 300h.p. Mercs app. 60 hrs. on them,24-4blade Hyrdomotive props,Got 69.7 GPS so far. Usually cruise @3500,...........Should i have anything to worry about? Any segustions For more speed? Thanks, Michael
HIGH LIFE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
  #28
Registered
 
dreamboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southern Maryland
My Boats: 2000 28 Skater
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
My question about broken prop shafts would be what type of water do you run in??? I run on mostly smooth water ( under 2' chop) I shouldn't say anythng but I haven't broken one yet but I check my gear oil EVERY TIME I get back and change it about every 10 hours...
I would think if you run ruffer water where the boat leaves the water more it may happen more often??

I run twin worked 2.4's and 30 X 14.5 merc clevers

Maybe diameter also effects it????
Rough water definatelly effects your prop shafts. I run on a river and its really not rough there either. Your prop size would also be quite a bit easier on your shafts. Running high motor height, turning them in on cats, and big props=very hard on 1" shafts.
dreamboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: USR, NJ
My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine
Posts: 4,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboater View Post
I have broken 2 in the last 30 hours or so. The last time was in a poker run with a lot of gas and weight in the boat. Recently I was running a set of 15x34 3 blades that Bblades did for me. Not really much gas but 4 passengers. I was only running about 50mph when it happened. I did not have any issues before I started turning the props in however. My boat is about 4 mph turning in.
I broke mine at about 50mph too. Funny thing was my boat only ran 50 for about ten minutes in its life.
3/4 gas, 2 people, 1-2 footers, just cruiseing, waiting for 2 other boats and SNAP, shiny new BBlade prop gone.
Brett did several sets of props for me, he does very nice work and gets then to you when he says he will. He has my business and my recomendation.

I ran the AMT pretty good regardless of water conditions, if it was going out, it was going.
Tantrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
  #30
Registered
 
dreamboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southern Maryland
My Boats: 2000 28 Skater
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
I broke mine at about 50mph too. Funny thing was my boat only ran 50 for about ten minutes in its life.
3/4 gas, 2 people, 1-2 footers, just cruiseing, waiting for 2 other boats and SNAP, shiny new BBlade prop gone.
Brett did several sets of props for me, he does very nice work and gets then to you when he says he will. He has my business and my recomendation.

I ran the AMT pretty good regardless of water conditions, if it was going out, it was going.
Brett does an awesome job for sure! Where did the AMT go?
dreamboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DeepV
General Boating Discussion
102
06-24-2011 02:16 PM
lowblue320
Prop Talk
2
04-12-2007 05:27 PM
Enforcer2
General Boating Discussion
11
07-19-2006 05:47 PM
kcsteve124
General Q & A
2
06-29-2006 08:59 PM
greenrt
General Boating Discussion
3
05-23-2005 07:05 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.