Notices

Boating in Raleigh, NC

Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating in Raleigh, NC

I've been reading posts on this site for a long time and finally registered. I had a small 18 1/2 bowrider and now looking to get something in the 25 -2 7' range. Does anyone know of any lakes around Raleigh (within a few hours) that have poker runs, fun runs or where some powerbaots hang out? The little lakes around here are mainly fishing/pontoon/bowrider boats. Thanks for any info.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered

I think lake norman may have some around that area. Probably find some in VA also.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

Lake George near Charlotte
Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Smith Mountain Lake in VA is not too far away, about 2-3 hour drive, and they have a Poker Run in the spring. Lake Norman is about 2-3 hours drive, too, depending where you live. I occasionally run our boat on Jordan Lake - mostly pontoons, PWCs' and ski boats on that lake. I don't think they really like my "cigarette" boat on their lake. I'm the only Fountain I've ever seen on that lake, and probably the only boat with thru hull exhaust. I do switch silent choice "on" when around the ramps/docks so not to "offend" anyone. I rarely ever run fast on that lake, not that you really could, safely.

Last edited by bob_t; 06-29-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. I heard Lake Wylie was pretty good to. what about Lake Gaston or Kerr Lake , those are pretty good size lakes aren't they? Does anyone ever take their boats to the ocean?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foley24
Does anyone ever take their boats to the ocean?

YES about six times a year!

The best boating is out of Charletson SC area in my opinion. Where you are at I would pull to Washington, NC and put in there and run out the river to the OuterBanks.

As for lakes the best in my opinion is Lake Norman north of Charotte on I-77. Very good ramps off of Exit #36 at Queens Landing.

Smith Mountain is my next choice, it is much prettier up there.

Wylie, Belews Creek, High Rock, Jordon and Lake Hickory are all smaller.

There are a LOT of performance boats on Wylie.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 06-29-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

I appreciate all the info Dock Holiday!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Registered

I just moved from Wilmington NC/Wrightsville Beach to Lake Norman. I know a couple buddies that run 25 Outlaws on Falls Lake in Raleigh. It is a boring lake, very few raft up spots, no restaurants/bars, and one marina.

You can trailer 2 hours south to Wrightsville beach which is a decent place to boat/spend the weekend. You can head south and be in Myrtle Beach in under 2 hours and it is a great ride.

As far as concentration of other performance boaters, Lake Norman is probably the best with plenty of water, multiple restaurants, bars, marinas etc. They have fun runs occasionally and are having a poker run towards the last week of July. A lot of norman boaters are on boatfreaks.com.

Wylie is not a bad lake either just smaller but a good assortment of fast boats.

I have run the Tom Maynard Smith Mountain Lake poker run 5 times and have had a blast everytime as long as the weather is good. SML is a great lake and not as crowded as Norman.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kerr Lake is incredible. -not for quantity of performance boats or bars necessarily....
But simply a beautiful place to go boating. It is big (approx 750miles of shoreline) and serves up an endless supply of gorgeous cove after gorgeous cove. Try longwood campground and bring your own party.

Quick Reply: Boating in Raleigh, NC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.