Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Serpentine Belt Freying... Again >

Serpentine Belt Freying... Again

Notices

Serpentine Belt Freying... Again

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pully and belt came yesterday, so i tow the boat down the street to my uncles marina to put it on and make his trained eye look at it, and my uncle hops in there and says "you have the 5 3/4" metal pully..."

So i ordered a pully i didnt need... Jacka$$. So he's checking everything out for alignment,which looks good, then he pulls the belts off both motors, and says, "order an alternator, This one doesnt sound like the other one, and at rpm, it could be locking up" Then comparing the paint i n the grooves for the serpentine, the suspect alternator has the paint rubbed off and the other one looks fine. All the other pullies on that motor have shiny paint on them, so thats my theory today!

When i spun everything, and everything spun fine, and looked fine, but when you compare one alternator to the other, they sure dont sound the same... I guess i should have tried that...

So the new alternator is there now, gotta go put it on... 2 bolts, 2 screws, and 2 plugs... Not so bad. Lets hope thats all it was. Lesson learned, check the motor thats 2 feet away and compare, compare, compare...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Advantage_Rob
My pully and belt came yesterday, so i tow the boat down the street to my uncles marina to put it on and make his trained eye look at it, and my uncle hops in there and says "you have the 5 3/4" metal pully..."

So i ordered a pully i didnt need... Jacka$$. So he's checking everything out for alignment,which looks good, then he pulls the belts off both motors, and says, "order an alternator, This one doesnt sound like the other one, and at rpm, it could be locking up" Then comparing the paint i n the grooves for the serpentine, the suspect alternator has the paint rubbed off and the other one looks fine. All the other pullies on that motor have shiny paint on them, so thats my theory today!

When i spun everything, and everything spun fine, and looked fine, but when you compare one alternator to the other, they sure dont sound the same... I guess i should have tried that...

So the new alternator is there now, gotta go put it on... 2 bolts, 2 screws, and 2 plugs... Not so bad. Lets hope thats all it was. Lesson learned, check the motor thats 2 feet away and compare, compare, compare...

I didn't know your Uncle owned that marnia. I saw your boat there yesterday and almost stopped to say hey but it was ready to rain and I need to get home to put the cover on the phantom.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

yeah thats him, he's been there for a long time now...Definitely good people. He bought that before i moved out there and its been over 10 years that i've lived there now!! Where's the time go?

After rearranging all the boats in the yard, I got it backed it inside just before the rain set in. He's been a marine mechanic since he was a kid, his dad was a marine mechanic, and he fell into it from the time he was old enough and usefull enough to desipher a 5/16 from a torque wrench~! Lol
He's in his 50's now,so he's definitely knowledgeable, so theres alot of years under his belt. I'll be up there tonight too putting the alternator and belt on if you want to stop in and laugh at me for not checking that first! i'll have a black tahoe parked out front. I'm hoping not to be there long though!

Edit:

Actually i'm hoping they already have it done when i get there! I try to do everything i can on my own, i know they are always busy, and i hate to bug them, but it always seems to be better to let him take a look Lol No matter what it is, he's usually seen it before...

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 07-06-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered

just curious if the alternator swap solved the problem----
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

yeah it worked. i was out saturday and sunday, and it was fine. What a relief that is.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you got it fixed.......

I was going to say that some thing must be out of alignment.

I had a car that shredded a serpentine belt after 60K miles. Replaced it, shredded that one the next day. Replaced it again and promptly shredded that one. Started looking as to why and noticed the water pump was out of alignment. Couldn't find anything bent or broken till I noticed that the pully was mounted backwards. I have never taken the pump apart or off since new. The pully was mounted backwards at the factory. Why the original belt lasted so long is a mystery to me.