Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What kind of racing is the most boring to watch on TV ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/162381-what-kind-racing-most-boring-watch-tv.html)

Cash Bar 07-01-2007 09:21 PM

What kind of racing is the most boring to watch on TV ?

People always say boat racing.

I gotta say, I was at a sports bar earlier and they had on DRAG racing........yawn. That is the dumbest shiit to watch on TV. Run for 5 seconds, wrench for 8 hours, run for 5 seconds, wrench again. :rolleyes:

Useless waste of TV time and SPONSORS are everywhere.:eek:

I can see the excitement of ACTUALLY RACING, but TV, jeez.....

SHARKEY-IMAGES 07-01-2007 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2184132)

I think they were referring to Sail boats.

I would venture to guess it's like watching paint dry when there is little to no wind.... :drink:

rainmn 07-01-2007 09:35 PM

I'll get crap for this, but without a doubt, it's NASCAR. A few years ago, I really made an effort to get into it. Went to a race and had a blast, but I still couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes on TV. I don't even try anymore.

left turn, left turn, wreck. left turn, left turn, left turn, wreck......repeat for a couple hundred miles.

THEJOKER 07-01-2007 09:40 PM

Unless you've been to a Top Fuel drag race you wouldn't understand. There's nothing like it and I love to watch it on the flat screen w/ surround sound.

Ron P 07-01-2007 09:43 PM

Drag racing rocks, especially in person.

McGary911 07-01-2007 10:02 PM

Marathon racing. Runners, going slow (although probably faster than I run all out) for a couple of hours. THAT's pretty boring. To me at least.

JCPERF 07-01-2007 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I gotta say, I was at a sports bar earlier and they had on DRAG racing........yawn. That is the dumbest shiit to watch on TV. Run for 5 seconds, wrench for 8 hours, run for 5 seconds, wrench again. :rolleyes:

:eek: :rolleyes: :drink:

FeverMike 07-01-2007 10:25 PM

Sail boat racing for me is boring on TV.

My favorite racing is Formula 1 and Indy. I also love the American LeMans series and Rolex Grand Am.

I know I will get flamed for this but offshore boat racing can be a bit boring because they usually show just one boat running and there is not much interaction and turns going on with other boats.

Back in 2000-2001 Speed Tv was getting that turned around though with the APBA races and the shows and racing started to get much better. Now I have not seen offshore on tv for a long time.

JJONES 07-01-2007 10:39 PM

Ill have to say nascar aswell!It was ok when the ford was a ford and the chevy was a chevy an so on but everything looks the same now!It is so regulated,In fact a car passed tech and when on the track legal,then,when it came off it was 1/8 in. or something like that to low and they had to go home!Its set up to be to much of an even playing field it makes it boring!When one team was good in the past,it made the other teams and brands work harder to make there car better the next race which would trickle down to r&d.That made it somewhat exciting,now,BLA !

Codered 07-02-2007 05:32 AM

I used to be a big Nascar fan but it is fading fast , I am slowly switching to Nhra drag racing but the open wheel cars of any type except dirt sprints has to be the most boring except for Danica Patrick and Ashly Judd.

Pete B 07-02-2007 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 2184151)
Unless you've been to a Top Fuel drag race you wouldn't understand. There's nothing like it and I love to watch it on the flat screen w/ surround sound.

Augusta Nationals IHBA 21 & 22 july, and while it doesnt get the exposure that NHRA gets, it is insane. especially Top fuel Hydro. and the sound cannot be replicated by any tv or sound system. besides I dont think you would want to.

http://www.ihbaracing.com/schedule.html

AB From Windsor 07-02-2007 07:39 AM

I have to agree that the most boring racing to watch on TV is sail boat racing. The most exciting races to watch on TV has to be Offshore Powerboat Racing, I just wish that they could do a better job on TV with the ( Engine Sounds ). I want to hear the engine sounds when the props come out of the water and the throttle man is working the sticks and I want to hear the roar of these mighty racing machines. Louder, Louder and More Louder. And when someone does a Video of their Offshore Powerboat, I don't want to hear Music Video, I want to hear the Music of the Roar of their Engines.

texaschopper 07-02-2007 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pete B (Post 2184321)
Augusta Nationals IHBA 21 & 22 july, and while it doesnt get the exposure that NHRA gets, it is insane. especially Top fuel Hydro. and the sound cannot be replicated by any tv or sound system. besides I dont think you would want to.

http://www.ihbaracing.com/schedule.html

I have been to this and plan to go again this year... It can be a tad slow moving though. I do understand most of the delays are safety related- One nice thing, it's really all access as far as walking around the pits

Panther 07-02-2007 08:02 AM

Drag Racing Rocks! Top Fuel, Funny Car and Super Stock are my favorites!

In person Drag racing is even better! To watch anything going from stand still to over 300 mph in 3 seconds.... come on... If you like motor sports you can't NOT like drag racing... :drink:

AIR TIME 07-02-2007 08:39 AM

# 1 SNAILBOAT RACING, #2 GOLF chasing your balls:rolleyes: when I was 6yrs old we use to go to the golf coarse in back of my house and pick up the balls on the coarse we were so short we could not see the golfers hitting them and then we wood go throught the woods and throw them out in a pond or a close by river when we had a bunch it was a very wooded coarse lots of ponds:p :D .oh we did get caught once:eek: #3 people racing, road or track. ART aka ARTIE or ARTIMUS

WILD 1 07-02-2007 09:09 AM

NASCAR is fun for the first and last 10 laps. I could watch boat racing and or drag racing all day.

Tazz 07-02-2007 09:21 AM

They're all pretty boring to watch on tv, but NASCAR is the worst.

bcfountain 07-02-2007 09:31 AM

power boat racing,drag racing rule....blown fuel rules!

glassdave 07-02-2007 09:36 AM

All racing(an pretty much everything else) is boring to watch on TV . . . . . now, getting out and either seeing it or doing it live. Thats a different story :D :D

Mark 07-02-2007 10:10 AM

Oval track racing - especially NASCAR. I'm an F1 nut! :drink:

Shore Thing 07-02-2007 10:19 AM

this may be the most unpopular thing ever stated on OSO but....I don't find sailboat racing that boring. In fact, I find the maneuvering before the start WAY more interesting and exciting than a bunch of cars going in a circle. Race anything on the water, and it will hold my attention.

glassdave 07-02-2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shore Thing (Post 2184586)
this may be the most unpopular thing ever stated on OSO but....I don't find sailboat racing that boring. In fact, I find the maneuvering before the start WAY more interesting and exciting than a bunch of cars going in a circle. Race anything on the water, and it will hold my attention.

to be honest i agree with you. Americas Cup racing is some of the most competitive and technical (on many levels) racing you ever will see. (i still have no desire to sail a boat though:D ) an watching once every four years is enough for me
:drink:

WILD 1 07-02-2007 10:40 AM

NOTHING BORING ABOUT DIS!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tg6R...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0Pl...elated&search=

THERE'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT 8000 HP

Havaduner 07-02-2007 10:52 AM

How can you say it's boring? They dont show the "8 hours of wrenching" do they? No, you see pass after 5 second pass.
I'll watch just about any racing on TV, as long as it's motorized. Probably the most frustrating to watch is Drag boats. They spend a lot of time spotlighting the top fuel guys, and they make way too much power, and they rarely make a good fast pass. Top Alcohol guys are way more consistent.

Pete B 07-02-2007 11:48 AM

Probably the most frustrating to watch is Drag boats. They spend a lot of time spotlighting the top fuel guys, and they make way too much power, and they rarely make a good fast pass. Top Alcohol guys are way more consistent
I agree, but when you see a good pass,it has a big wow factor! after first round elimination TFH, everything else seems slow even though it is not!

Cash Bar 07-02-2007 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2184386)
Drag Racing Rocks! Top Fuel, Funny Car and Super Stock are my favorites!

In person Drag racing is even better! To watch anything going from stand still to over 300 mph in 3 seconds.... come on... If you like motor sports you can't NOT like drag racing... :drink:

Not true. I love motorsports, and I have been to the Gator Nationals, but DRAG racing is just boring.

UNSANE 07-02-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2184818)
Not true. I love motorsports, and I have been to the Gator Nationals, but DRAG racing is just boring.

Drag Racing rulz!!!! u crakhead:evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

Maybe belt sander racing is more your speed:p

fabricator 07-02-2007 02:34 PM

Race anything on the water, and it will hold my attention.

Yup! :evilb:

SpeedyWho 07-02-2007 02:48 PM

Indy and F1 are why too boring. Nascar is a little better. They're all better in real life though.

rainmn 07-02-2007 04:34 PM

I'd watch America's Cup sailing over nascar any day.

dammmagnum 07-02-2007 05:13 PM

I'm a not a Sail boat fan at all But.
Think about the Technology and Strategy that goes into America's Cup racing, The starting strategy, Covering the otherboats wind, Tacking and finding where the wind is? what sails to use.
Its more then a Sunday sail on the bay.
interesting.
Thank you
jim

Shah Mat 07-02-2007 05:18 PM

You must have been forced to watch the "Super" classes. Taking a 7 sec car and throttle stopping it to a 9.90 will put anyone to sleep.

I love drag racing and used to watch it all the time. I will admit it has lost something though. Seems like it's not as cool since it went to live brodcasting.

THEJOKER 07-02-2007 05:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWPI...elated&search=

Greg you're nuts!:D

Panther 07-02-2007 07:54 PM

Nah, but I guess everyone has their opinion and we all know what the saying goes about that.... :rolleyes: Cash must just have people to work on his boats and doesn't get his hands dirty...:eek: :drink: :D

Most gear heads I know like drag racing and like watching it! :cool:

RLW 07-02-2007 07:58 PM

Definition of Acceleration

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than
the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro
methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate
with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the
dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the
fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which
quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined)
1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane, the flame front temperature
measures 7,050 deg F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the
stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water
vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an
arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the
engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at
1,400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the
affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder
heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an
average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track),
the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading
this sentence.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under
load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for
once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the
quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00
mph. (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug
Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered
Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and
ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the
advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears
and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200
mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard,
but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within
3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish
line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.
Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph
and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you
within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.
.....and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!

TeamSaris 07-02-2007 08:09 PM

I like the Rolex Sports Car Series- GO PONTIAC!!!!

THEJOKER 07-02-2007 08:10 PM

and it's a water cooled engine , they just left off the radiator!

BOBCATMATHEWS 07-02-2007 10:30 PM

thee most boring racing is............monster trucks!! then the interview after,(announcer) "what was your strategy"(monster truck guy)"i floored it" and tell those twenty fat people in the front row to put their shirts back on:eek:

Cash Bar 07-02-2007 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2185267)
Cash must just have people to work on his boats and doesn't get his hands dirty...:eek: :drink: :D

I only like to get my hands on dirty women....:evilb:

Cash Bar 07-02-2007 10:47 PM

And, yes, it's my opinion. That is why I asked for others. No harm, no foul.

I personally would LOVE to build a drift car though. :eek: :cool: