Like Tree0Likes

Direction on Cat Decision

Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Scout 222 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Among View Post
whats the oppinion on this boat: http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o15694-en.html

its a little older than i wanted to go ... the power and rigging looks a little dated .... but its a Skater w/ #6's ...

thoughts?
That would be a great boat to look at considering who it is being sold by. If I were looking for a Cat I would not look at anything other than Skater in that size range. Those #6's would be bullet proof with that HP.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

My Boats: Boating,Motorcycling,Snowmobiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcut3 View Post
That would be a great boat to look at considering who it is being sold by. If I were looking for a Cat I would not look at anything other than Skater in that size range. Those #6's would be bullet proof with that HP.

I second this opinion. A LOT of boat for the money. And like was said, Jeffery is REPUTABLE.

Sam
Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the input guys ... im going to call on the skater today ... seems to be what im looking for. Its good to hear the guy is reputable. Any other info on those year skaters that would be helpful to me ?

as far as insurance goes ... i have spoken with my insurance agent ... we insure quite a few vehicles, sportscars, multiple boats, our business('s), home, tractor trailer, ect ... and the boat will not be financed, he seems to think they can do it for me and it not be too rediculous. we will see.

as far as upkeep ... We are avid drag racers, so im no stranger to maintenance and upkeep costs. Im just trying to keep the initial purchase price of the boat down as to not upset the old lady too much ... she thinks ive got too many toys already ... im sure some of you can relate. haha

copiercat - you may have missed my first post, where I increased my budget to the 100k range for turn key set up ... I definetly know its not possible to build a 30+ ft cat with twin I/Os to runn 100+ for 40k ... lol

thanks again guys for all the advice, this site has proven to be quite the source for great information. I was happy to donate a couple clams.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Lip-Ship Cigarette 700 Zuls

stay v bottom...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Scout 222 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Among View Post
as far as insurance goes ... i have spoken with my insurance agent ... we insure quite a few vehicles, sportscars, multiple boats, our business('s), home, tractor trailer, ect ... and the boat will not be financed, he seems to think they can do it for me and it not be too rediculous. we will see.

Be very careful what your insurance agent tells you about insuring the Cat if it is one of the normal companies (State Farm, Farm Bureau, Nationwide, etc.) I can not count how many times people have been issued policies for cats and write the check and then it goes through to the underwriters and the policy is cancelled. This has happened to numerous board members who have many items insured with them but they won't touch the Cats. Once you get to the 28 ft + range there are only a few companies left that will underwrite those policies. The last Skater I was considering was a 32 and nobody would touch it but a few companies and they wanted $$$$.

Good luck. A 32 Skater is a SWEET boat
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

I made another phone call today .... we have found a better way to insure the boat, so Im pretty sure ive got that covered.

custom ryder ... your post is a little short, care to give reasoning?

-A.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: 368 Skater, 33 Scarab AVS(Sold), Fountain 48EC Yanmar/Arneson, Deep Impact 33LS

He has gone both ways! LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr2328 View Post
He has gone both ways! LOL
hey ! lets keep it PG in here .. im pretty sure no one want to hear about a dude goin both ways ....
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

My Boats: 35 Motion "Bring It" is "For Sale", 31 Warlock

I never heard a 31 Warlock mentioned. Best cabin of all of these. Mine has been great. I think there is one for sale that is over 100mph and under 100k in the classifieds. If you are going to trailer keep that in mind with the wider beamed boats like the Mares.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 85 Chris Cat

That Skater looks pretty good my old chris cat is heavy good ride in the ruff cat cabin is only good for stabin and to hold bumpers ect. Look around lots of boats that should be turn key for 100k.