Gel Coat Stress Crack Repairs

Notices

Gel Coat Stress Crack Repairs

Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
This was on a mid-90's Skater, and I've been told they get a lot of gel coat stress cracks. Stay away from them?

When would you re-gel coat a boat, rather than fill and paint?

Michael
Skater uses less gelcote than most manufacturers and is also why they all have "print-thru".

As far as the cracks, I'd say it all depends where the cracks are.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

also stress cracks aren't necessarily a sign of a poorly built boat. lets face it some of us run these things for what they were meant for. you can only ask so much of that thin little layer of colored polyester and boats DO flex. I wouldn't write a boat off because of some stress cracks. just have it looked at by a professional (a glass guy if ya can find one), get a survey.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
also stress cracks aren't necessarily a sign of a poorly built boat. lets face it some of us run these things for what they were meant for. you can only ask so much of that thin little layer of colored polyester and boats DO flex. I wouldn't write a boat off because of some stress cracks. just have it looked at by a professional (a glass guy if ya can find one), get a survey.
My PowerPlay has some, I took it to a structural shop and they said no problem. They pointed out a few interesting items, first some of my cracks are in the black paint, they said the sun cooks the gelcoat much more in the dark colors and they are more prone to cracking. Also, although vacuum bagging is good, sometimes in areas where there is a tight radius it pulls more out of the area than would a hand layed boat, hence those areas flex more and the gel just cracks after a while. Interesting what a qualified repair professional tells you vs. the marketing people at the boat companies LOL!! They suggested repairing the gel mixed with a vinylester resin instead of a gp resin because it flexes more (if I understood him properly).
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

22 mils max!!!(gel coat thickness) Thanks Brian !!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on the money Speed Doc, anywhere from 18 to 22 mils.
Yes, mainly strees crack occurs near or on an edge or radius, the less radius the more of a chance you'll have for stress.
One thing we do at Latitude Powerboats other than the right amount of gel we use Armour Coat Vinyllester resin (more money not everyone use this) and we also do the first lay up with vinyllester, and in top of that we bond our deck to the hull 360* plus everywhere we can get our hand to, like stringers and bulkheads. After all 99% of strees cracks are found on the deck.