Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fatal Boat Accident Investigated >

Fatal Boat Accident Investigated

Notices

Fatal Boat Accident Investigated

Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented one 2 wks ago in Wisconsin for my 16 yr old daughter. In wisc if you are under 16 you must go thru training and have a cert that says you took training. At least they have done something in Wisc. I think all states should do something similar.

Smitty
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

i dont like hearing about these incidents, but we hear about them alot, ive been riding PWC for about 13 years, i spent many years riding with my father on the back, then riding alone with him on another, ive had a couple close calls, that involed other idiots that had little to no experience on small inland lakes, in the last 5 years i would not even use mine on the small lakes near the house, they sat on the trailer under covers when all my friends wanted to go ride, we rarley let anyone ride them, i dont let people ride mine, and my father does not let anyone ride his, last time i let one of my friends ride mine, it ended up on the rocks and i spent a month glassing it back together, thankfully he stayed on and didnt go over the front, and yes, i do launch mine off of very large cruiser wakes in the channels and lake erie, but i never come up from behind them, or get close to the stern of there boats, my opionin on the jetskis/pwc's, is that they are like snowmobiles, very fast , very dangerous, and alot of fun, but people just hop on them and ride with out taking the time to learn the way they handle, there other problem is that they are cheap toys, i ride a older yamaha that is highly modified, and i have less than 10k into it with purchase price, nice 2 place trailer, thatts where i think the problem lies, is that anyone can get them, and people do not hesitate usually to let other people ride them that have no experience, and anyone that tries to jump a wake off of a offshore is pretty much a rookie rider, i wont even consider jumping a wake unless its 6+ foot high, and those only come from large cruiser/small yachts.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Besides owning a 35 foot Nordic with twin 575SCi's, my
wife and I own the two fastest production jet skis, a
Sea Doo RXT and Kawasaki 250 Ultra.

Funny how when I'm on jet skis I try to maximize the distance
between me and other boats (compared to what you see
from so many jet ski riders).

For all the bad jet ski riders, you never notice the good ones because they aren't close to you. And jet ski riders are great people, several times when I've been in distress in my boats the first people on the scene, and eager to help, have been
jet ski riders.

It's actually the same problem performance boats have: we have a few bad apples that get ALL the attention.

Pesky Varmint
Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered

There are idiots driving all types of boats period. I am tired of everyone slamming PWC riders. I have a performance boat and PWC'S and have not been involved in any accidents. The problem is you dont need a brain to purchase a PWC or boat just $$$. It is no different than the gun killing someone it is the person that pulls the trigger.