Getting a job in the industry? >

Getting a job in the industry?

Notices

Getting a job in the industry?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a job in the industry?

Hi everyone! I've been a lurking here off and on for the past 2-3 years. I've always had a love for powerboats, I lived on Marco Island south of Naples, Fl and now live in Orlando with our pursuit fishing boat docked at Cape Canaveral.

I noticed Velocity Powerboats is located in Sanford, Fl about 10 mins from my current job working at an FBO at the airport. I'm curious about how easy it is getting a job for one of the boat manufacturers. I'm currently 19 and pursuing my finance degree at UCF. I just wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks in advanced.

-Jason
Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaysal555
Hi everyone! I've been a lurking here off and on for the past 2-3 years. I've always had a love for powerboats, I lived on Marco Island south of Naples, Fl and now live in Orlando with our pursuit fishing boat docked at Cape Canaveral.

I noticed Velocity Powerboats is located in Sanford, Fl about 10 mins from my current job working at an FBO at the airport. I'm curious about how easy it is getting a job for one of the boat manufacturers. I'm currently 19 and pursuing my finance degree at UCF. I just wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks in advanced.

-Jason
Put more effort into pursuing your Finance Degree!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

When I was 15yrs old A wise man (boat salesman) once told me that "once you make your hobbie your job then you will have to find another hobbie". His hobbie was classic cars.

If you love boats then find a great job in Finace so you can afford your boats. This way when you are able to take the boat out it will be much more fun and won't feel like a job.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Maritime_Eng; 08-16-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google styrene and see how that will effect your education.
Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to rain on anyone's dreams, but...

It's probably a bad idea with bad timing thrown in for good measure. Has has been mentioned, the best way to start hating boats is by making them into a business- especially if you're sweeping the shop in an entry-level job. Second, the industry is in somewhat of a recession right now. New & used boat sales are in the toilet as are all the parts & services aimed at the boater. It's noticeable on the water- alot fewer hours are being put on these boats. Even in the marinas, most boats are staying tied to the docks on the weekends.

If you were my kid, I'd beg, bribe or threaten you to stay where you're at, nail each class, then go to grad school. If you can excel there, you'll likely excel for an employer and maybe someday excel on your own.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

I too thought the same thing when I was your age.I worked in a machine shop @ Blue Thunder for a short time.Hazerdous working conditions and $5 per hr (1992 entry wages).Later I sold fountains and Motions on weekends,Wasted weekends and little$$.If you want to be around performance boats alot start your own buisness or get a good job that pays really well.Like others stated before if you work with boats all the time the last thing you will want to do on your time off is be around boats.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T DO IT and NEVER WORK IN A FAMILY BUSINESS (especially if you aren't family)
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

always loved boating. We started selling boats 3 years ago thru our regular car dealer operation...

Now, I sometimes don't even feel anymore to go boating... I'm truely disapointed with this situation cause in fact as second post said, if you start to work in your hobby, chances are you have to find another hobby, and in fact, selling boats just does not even give me any time left to find another hobby... But I understand you question to work in a boat shop, I tought so too at one point... not anymore...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 244 Posts

I owned and ran my own parasail business on and off for 15 years.I moved to Florida from Michigan so i could boat year round .After being out on the water doing the business all those years all i wanted to do is sit on a couch in a darkroom and watch T.V.

I also worked for my brother back in Michigan building boats ,and let me tell you unless your the guy in the office telling everybody what to do it is a dirty itchy job.Love building boats but the site of a boat makes me itch anymore.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

jaysal555 - very good question!

I myself started in the food industry as a sales / marketing guy 20yrs ago and for 1st 15yrs of my career I worked in the food industry. The higher up the ladder I grew the more money I made butthe more I hated it. I then started NJ Performance Powerboat Club 10yrs ago (while in the food industry) and met alot of people in the marine industry.

5yrs ago, a good friend Bob Christie asked me to start Typhoon Performance Marine with him. So I took my leap of faith and pursued by dream!!

We got Typhoon off the ground 2yrs later with $7MM + in sales! That was awesome!!!!!!!! Traveled the poker run & boat show circuit and partied like a rock star!!!

The downside, I worked 24/7 and never had a day off. Not that I had none I just could never take one or when I did someone would need to talk to me. I also would have been divorced becuase I never spent anytime with my wife of young daughter.

Then when we went to KW on vacation for the races to relax and I would wind up taking people for demo rides, etc.... and then it was no longer a vacation.

Bank of the West / Essex Credit found me 3yrs ago and hired me to run their NJ office for Marine Financing. I was promoted 2yrs ago and now I run 1/2 the country for the bank with 12 people working for me.

I still get to talk boats everyday and get paid well for it. I also travel the boat show circuit and carry a brief case instead of moving boats in and out.

I have reached the point in my marine career that "everyday is Friday and every night is Saturday night!" I could not be happier. The only difference is that I now have alot of time to spend with my family and also I get to enjoy boating. As a dealer, I never had time for boating and wound up selling my boat because of it.

The best jobs in the marine industry in my opinion are:

1) Marine Finance & or Insurance
2) Manufactures Rep

As for dealers or service shops.......I respect all of them immensely!!!!!!!! These folks work extremely hard! They have the hardest jobs!!!

They also have a customer base that a large majority (not all) of their customers have unrealistic expectations, wants or demands!!!! and want to pay as little as possible for their boats or services rendered.

It is a very tough business to make money because of this.

When I was a dealer, even a few of my FRIENDS were some of the biggest AZZHOLES to deal with. One guy I saved $20k on a warranty job and all he could demand is that HE NEEDED HIS BOAT NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!! NO IFS ANDS OR BUTTS!!!

So, to sum it up.... get into Marine Financing, Insurance or a factory rep. You will be able to go boating and you will enjoy the industry immensely!

Last edited by DaveP; 08-16-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting a job in the industry?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.