Performance Upgrade Question >

Performance Upgrade Question

Notices

Performance Upgrade Question

Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Upgrade Question

First off, let me say: What a cool site!!!!! I stumbled across this last night... A little about me.. Been powerboating since 2001 in Utah... Most of the lakes I run at are at around 5000 to 6500 ft..

I have a 1995 Formula 252 LS that's in great shape.. 502 with about 450 HP along with an M-1 Procharger Intercooled... I'm right around 600 ponies top end @ about 4700 RPMs. I run 71 all day and around the evlevations I mentioned and can push to around 76 at around 3000 ft...

I do run a high atlitude pulley on the SC... I'm one or two more seasons away from a freshen up.. I have about 400 hours on from the last rebulid. Everything is pretty tight right now but I'm sure my rings are starting to give a little but all my power is there in the whole powerband...

One problem is my boost guage is not the best(basic graffig) and I can't get very good reads.. But with the power and numbers I get, I know my SC is working poperly..

Here are my planned upgrades next season. EMI exhaust manifolds. I'm guessing this should give me 1-2 MPH and start the next phase..

I have a great high performance mechanic. Powerboating in Utah is very rare in Utah IMO so finding good mechanics is hard.. He is recommending Merlin or Brodix heads and maybe a different cam when I do the rebuild.. I know once we sit down, he will dial in any type of upgrades to work for that boat but I want to get the opinion of some folks here on what you might do..

One other thing he suggested is maybe a M-3 Procharger.. I've kinda scanned through this site and there seems to be some Anti-Pro charger folks here. Let me say, I love them.. I love the top end and reliability... I think they need proper installation. I have numerous buddies that have blown through Bravo ones with whipples.. I run a fresh Bravo 1 1:50 with a 28 SS 4 blade..

My mechanic said, once I improve the air flow with heads and manifolds, my boost might drop with that M-1... Now I only have enough cash to either do the heads, manifolds and Cam but not upgrade to a bigger SC in the same phase.

I'm guessing I can get up to around 700 ponies without a new SC, which should get me up to 77 MPH around here which is what I'm looking for..

Do you guys have any other ideas or comments to get me thinking?

What about pistons, valves, rods etc?? I trust my mechanic but wanted to become more informed myself..
Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Registered

Hey man,

I'm from Utah too. I thought I was the only performance boater in Utah! I have a 04 292 fastech. My father in law is a procharger dealer. Who's your mechanic?

Thanks-Nick
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NICKM
Hey man,

I'm from Utah too. I thought I was the only performance boater in Utah! I have a 04 292 fastech. My father in law is a procharger dealer. Who's your mechanic?

Thanks-Nick
Rex's Marine... In SLC..

I love Formulas... Are you running twin 6.2s or big blocks?

Where is that dealership located?

Also, what lakes do you run around here?