Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Except this one Mike.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a MERC fan. They have always been well engineered. Its nice to hear someone enjoys those other motors after all those years of trying. It is not apples to apples in that shot out though. A 2 stroke will usually win in those type of tests. Why don't they compete against a optimax? After all they basically copied that technology. They act like its something new and great. I am happy to see after mercs 10 years of refinement of the optis they were able to come up with a suitable copy. Evinrude has been consist though, a major design change every few years.
It is a bunch of hype. A few happy people doesn't make it a great motor.
Jim
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys for all the responses, I wanted to hear the good and bad.

HOT DUCK, that 1990 CC of yours looks brand new, great lookin rig. Jeff
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Thanks guys for all the responses, I wanted to hear the good and bad.

HOT DUCK, that 1990 CC of yours looks brand new, great lookin rig. Jeff
Thank you. After shopping for a replacement I figured that it would be smarter to rehab the old one since the hull was fine and had never been damaged. We took it apart and painted it, rewired everything, replaced the fuel lines/fill neck hose, replaced the gauges and switches, replaced all the pumps (trim tab, bilge, live wells, washdown, etc) and repowered it. We inspected the fuel tank, but it looked brand new so we left it alone.

I like the lines of this boat and it handles and rides incredibly well. What we ended up with is basically a brand new boat at less than 1/3 of the cost of a new one.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
I am a MERC fan. They have always been well engineered. Its nice to hear someone enjoys those other motors after all those years of trying. It is not apples to apples in that shot out though. A 2 stroke will usually win in those type of tests. Why don't they compete against a optimax? After all they basically copied that technology. They act like its something new and great. I am happy to see after mercs 10 years of refinement of the optis they were able to come up with a suitable copy. Evinrude has been consist though, a major design change every few years.
It is a bunch of hype. A few happy people doesn't make it a great motor.
Jim
Mobile,
I too am a merc fan! But, look at the small engines, a merc 9.9 or an bomberdier................ There is no comparision. Merc is a bunch of china junk! All Plastic. Ok, E-tec vs. Opti.......... Still no comparision. I am impressed with the verado but, Look at the power to weight difference............... I like to say I bleed black but, there is no way i roll a merc outboard except for the 2.5 or 300
Bombardier have their stuff together..............
Anyways, sorry for the rant.
Thanks for posting good advice.
Jr.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been using the E-Tecs here in Bermuda and have nothing but good things to say about them. Took off a 250XS and put on a 250 Evinrude and picked up 4+ mph on a Velocity CC.......
Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered

bass and waley boats enough said .
Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
They have lived up to their billing- ......... and A LOT better on fuel than even the Verado or any other 2 or 4 stroke.

Jim
"ALOT BETTER" fuel economy than 4S's ? The facts are the E-Tec's fuel economy is actually WORSE than 4S's at cruise.

Check out the INDEPENDENT testing done by Powerboat Reports, March 2005 issue. They do not accept any advertising from anyone and do not have the conflict of interest other boating magazines have.

They tested three IDENTICALLY rigged Wellcraft 232 CC's, one with a 250 hp Verado, a Yamaha F250, and one with a 250 hp E-Tec.

They found at the most common cruising speed of 35 mph the E-Tec used over 2 gph MORE than either the Verado or Yamaha F 250. ( Specifically: Verado 11.6 gph, F250 11.8 gph, and E-Tec 13.9 gph. )

With an E-Tec you are locked into buying ONLY their specially formulated oil at nearly $ 40 / gallon. Using anything else will void your warranty. Many owners of E-Tecs have reported NOT getting the purported 100:1 oil ratio at cruise but in reality only about 80:1.

Additionally in my area E-Tecs are significanly more expensive to purchase than most 4S's.

As for resale, a boat equipped with ANY 2S, even E-Tecs, will sell for LESS than the same boat with a 4S. If you need proof go ask some boat brokers if they had two similarly equipped boats one with a 4S and the other with an E-Tec which would sell faster and for more money.

You'll hear nearly every one say the boat with the 4S will sell for more money and sell faster. The majority of the boat buying public prefers 4S's. Its hard enough selling a used boat now, why make it harder on yourself by going with an engine the public at large doesn't want.

Even the top boat manufacturers are installing far more 4S's than 2S's. Take Intrepid, they build one of the highest quality and most expensive boats out there and they'll install any engine you want including E-Tecs.

The vast majority of boats they make have 4S's on them. The people who buy their boats can afford anything they want and in virtually every case they've gone with 4S's. Call Intrepid and ask them if you require proof.

Buy the 4S and save some money now and also later when you go to sell your boat, its YOUR money.

Last edited by FloridaDan; 08-22-2007 at 09:55 AM.