Notices

Ad in USA Today

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Marine Max "Experience"

Oh my buddy got the Marine Max experience this summer after he dropped $225k on a brand new 340 Sundancer. Kinda like the experience a fresh newbie would receive on OZ, minus the soap and shower.

The day he took delivery his salesman joked that his new boat was now worth $200k since it was now in the water. Then he excused himself and said he had a big deal to close on an Azimut.

Long story short, three months later there is a punch list two pages long that has yet to be completed. His 6 hours of training time from the Marine Max "captain" gets cancelled every week for whatever reason, and repeated phone calls and e-mails go unanswered. Or even worse, the salesman fires off an e-mail with huge attitude like he has no responsibility for the after-sale "experience." He doesn't even try to fake like he cares.

So yeah, if you too are looking for that Marine Max "experience" (at least the one in Norwalk,CT provided by Mr. Ron Wishna), then just go ahead and get somebody to kick you in the nuts as you light a suitcase full of money on fire!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

If my only choice to purchase a boat would be from Marine Max I would get out of boating, I have yet to meet the average buyer who has had a good experience after the sale.

Most buyers made their purchase because is was a good deal not because they liked the sales rep or felt they would have great service afterwards. Most consumers don't even think about those things until they need it. It's all price price price.

This will change eventually I hope... My $.02
Old 08-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
If the large corporation business model didn't work, they wouldn't be buying out the little guys...

If they please 95 and anger 5, they are still in better shape than the little guy who pleases 5 and angers none.

I understand people not liking big business for personal reasons, but those same people are reaping the benefits of big business every day.
The model you speak of works for the large corporation not the customer. I do business with the mega companies not because I'm pleased with their service but because I don't have a choice. When the mega companies devour their competition and their greed takes over it will be their own demise. The customer will demand alternatives.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Registered

Feed the bear , the bear gets bigger and eats you up. Stop feeding the bear!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP
The model you speak of works for the large corporation not the customer. I do business with the mega companies not because I'm pleased with their service but because I don't have a choice. When the mega companies devour their competition and their greed takes over it will be their own demise. The customer will demand alternatives.
I really do understand why a lot of people feel this way. But its my feeling that people often times take their bad experiences with big business and put a whole lot more weight to it than their good experiences. When things are good, we don't tend to think about it, but if we get screwed we harp on it. Its human nature.

I garuntee a lot of people here have been screwed by small businesses as well. If it weren't for big business our fuel would be WAY more expensive than the expensive fuel we complain about now. Our government wouldn't be able to protect us from outside threats because our airplanes and ships would be too costly to build. The truck you tow your boat with would have cost you $500k because big business would have never put in the R&D that produced the reliable and affordable design of its parts.

That doesn't mean that big business can't be bad either. A poorly run business, large or small is destined to failure. But the market place is where that is decided.

I guess my long winded point is...the fault is not in big business, its in bad business.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

I wish China would make SSM VI outdrives and sell them at Wal-mart. Props too!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
I wish China would make SSM VI outdrives and sell them at Wal-mart. Props too!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
Most buyers made their purchase because is was a good deal not because they liked the sales rep or felt they would have great service afterwards. Most consumers don't even think about those things until they need it. It's all price price price.

Yup, saw it when I was in the boat lift biz. Had people say that I was too epensive. After choosing the cheaper guy they would call me month later asking if I could service their lift because the other guy won't come back. I always said "Sorry, I don't service lifts I don't install. I'd be more than happy to replace your cheap pos."

People just don't understand that a lot of what you're paying for is service after the sale. I never charged for any service work or adjustments (even if the person bought a new boat) for 2 years after the purchase. Heck, I still get calls on lifts that went in 7 years ago. Even though I sold the biz I still help them out, nc. Some of them have even gotten free replacement parts.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-24-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
If my only choice to purchase a boat would be from Marine Max I would get out of boating, I have yet to meet the average buyer who has had a good experience after the sale.

I bought my boat at Marine Max and couldn't be happier. It was a good deal but I had known the sales rep for a couple years and felt that he would take care of me.

I have heard plenty of horror stories about small dealers screwing people, going out of business, bad service, etc. At least with Marine Max you have a problem with your local dealer you can contact corporate and put pressure on them.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

[QUOTE=BajaFresh;2246377]I bought my boat at Marine Max and couldn't be happier. It was a good deal but I had known the sales rep for a couple years and felt that he would take care of me.

I have heard plenty of horror stories about small dealers screwing people, going out of business, bad service, etc. At least with Marine Max you have a problem with your local dealer you can contact corporate and put pressure on them.

Have you had any service issues after your purchase & how did that go? You were fortunate to know the rep as the average Joe would not have the same connection and would deal with the sales rep based on who was available that day.

It is much like buying a car and that can be another horror story if you do not have good up front contacts.

Quick Reply: Ad in USA Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.