Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
REALLY need help on this one ..... >

REALLY need help on this one .....

Notices

REALLY need help on this one .....

Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow REALLY need help on this one .....

PLEASE, ANY thoughts on this would really help me out. Here is my problem, 31ft eleganza that has gelcoat that is cracked, twin 454 motors, needs some interior work done. I placed a thread a little while back about this boat. It was on e-bay for sale and it is located in ohio. Motors had new exhaust and intake manifolds put on both motors, 2 new water pumps, 1 alternater, valve covers and gaskets, and valve job on port engine, Alpha drives with new impellers, 25p 3 blade props, gauges iffy so it needs some wireing atten., with trailer. He also told me when he got it back together he had a profesional machanic go out on the boat to do tune up but then the motors started to miss like the plugs got fouled or he says it was bad gas. Thats all I know. He will also deliver from Ohio to vermont for free.

OR

1987 26 ft checkmate convincor that has had new interior in cuddy, original in cockpit but in EXCELENT shape (no fade or tears), VHF 2 way, 454 motor w/617 hrs,ss prop, sink, porta poti, fridge, eagle trailer w/spare tire, 8 life vest, ect, ect.bow and cockpit covers and NEVER left in water. I guess my question would be ..... Which one would be the less MONEY PIT just by going by the discriptions of each boat.

Last edited by jdinvt; 08-27-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdinvt
PLEASE, ANY thoughts on this would really help me out. Here is my problem, 31ft eleganza that has gelcoat that is cracked, twin 454 motors, needs some interior work done. I placed a thread a little while back about this boat. It was on e-bay for sale and it is located in ohio. Motors had new exhaust and intake manifolds put on both motors, 2 new water pumps, 1 alternater, valve covers and gaskets, and valve job on port engine, Alpha drives with new impellers, 25p 3 blade props, gauges iffy so it needs some wireing atten., with trailer. He also told me when he got it back together he had a profesional machanic go out on the boat to do tune up but then the motors started to miss like the plugs got fouled or he says it was bad gas. Thats all I know. He will also deliver from Ohio to vermont for free.

OR

1987 26 ft checkmate convincor that has had new interior in cuddy, original in cockpit but in EXCELENT shape (no fade or tears), VHF 2 way, 454 motor w/617 hrs,ss prop, sink, porta poti, fridge, eagle trailer w/spare tire, 8 life vest, ect, ect.bow and cockpit covers and NEVER left in water. I guess my question would be ..... Which one would be the less MONEY PIT just by going by the discriptions of each boat.
Just my .02, but the Checkmate sounds like the better buy with all things considered. Single engine, good cockpit, engine running to start with. All good things in it's favor. It sounds like a turn key boat.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Arrow

Is the Checkmate local? You didn't indicate price for either but I'd lean toward what I can see for myself rather than take the word of someone that is trying to sell me something. Just a thought...

Welcome to the madness. What part of VT are you in?
Frank
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my vote is the checkmate.. no motor issues listed and you can usually tell how well someone takes care of the motors by how well they take care of the cabin and cockpit.. in my opinion..
Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

I would guess the Checkmate. Do you know what drive is on it? The Alpha's on the IMP is my first turn off being it runs big blocks. Granted they can hold up to stock power but I am guessing the boat is atleast 15 yrs old and they are gonna end up going out. Noticed you said the Checkmate has new interior in the cuddy and also comes with a bow cover, is that a misprint or is it a mid cabin?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Given the options - I'd go with the checkmate.