Notices

Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Old 08-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Hmm... Not what I would consider a "Sunken Treasure"!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/5/89214465.htm
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGB
For the record, as the person that does all of the work on the sunk 42.....

Matt/BobOnThis/Rastaboatin does not, and has not ever been an employee here. He has not even been here for a couple of weeks. He did not remove the drives monday, I did.

The last time it was here, we changed the oil, and all three engines fired right up before it left. It went from here to Lake Erie to run a Poker Run (all three started and ran perfect). It was then taken to Matts parents house (check pictures), were he did some electrical work, and added in some LED lights.

Lamar (the owner) did call last monday and said that the boat was taking on some water. I said get it to me, and I will find the leak. He replied "I cant this week, we are leaving for the Ozarks, but I'll bring it in after." I then told him not to leave it in the water unattended.

Sunday morning I get a call from Matt, and a picture message. He then tells me how his brother went down there an HOUR after they had tied up for the night. He noticed it was sitting low in the water, and turned the bilge pumps on. After 45 minutes they finally quit, and he went to bed, without telling anyone. The boat has TWO 1200 GPH pumps.

Now, for the million dollar question.... What sank the boat? Matt, you say your money is on the rub rail. Wrong! We had the rub rail off a month ago to reseal it, and put a new insert in. Since you were busy on the lake the entire time I was doing it, you may have forgotten.

When the owner first bought the boat, he had a habit of beaching it like he did his jet ski's. Rocks, sand, whatever was there, run it on there. This started a small hole in the gel on the rear part of the keel. Water pressure from high speed running took its tole, and took more gel off, and started some delamination. There is a hole in the bottom of the boat! The bellows are not leaking any water.
Wow! Class act, huh?

I bet the potential customers reading this are flocking to you...

The beaching theory is downright amusing.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
My boat has a small leak somewhere in the area of the extension box that I've been chasing for three freakin' years. I've replaced the bellows and siliconed everything I can get my hands on in there and still can't find it. Anyway, even though the float switch on my port side bilge kicks every 45 minutes or so (and I'm running with a constant puddle in my boat about 2 inches deep), I make sure I'm plugged in EVERYWHERE I go overnight...it helps me sleep. Oh, and I've got one cranking battery and one deep cycle...plus a jump pack.
ck the seal on the steering swivle pin,, the only way to find this type of leak is to take the boat to the ramp and back it in the water one inch at a time (up the transom) when the water starts coming in ya know right where to look for the leak !! Ya gots to stick your head right down in the back where you can hear the water comming in !!!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

I learn a lot about what I need to know about boats from you guys on oso. Now, when I questioned him about the whole on the bottom, you would think I just slapped his wife. I didn't believe that was it either for the fact that last time it was taking on water you could hear like a water faucet was on in the bilge. I jumped in the back when the owner asked to me to look for it and pulled on a hose that was coming from the top of the port motor. I don't know much about these boats plumbing but let me explain it. There is a large hose that runs across the top that has spicket type shut offs on it. The hose comes off of that then runs behind the motor somewhere. I heard water leaking behind the port motor and looked everywhere and then pulled that hose and it stopped. The boat was then sent to tmp and bill asked me to drive up there and show him what hose I pulled on to stop the leak and I did. From there I don't know what he did. The cabin was taking on water also from a broken hatch and was full of water so I didnt know if this was a cause also so I called Monstaa and asked him about it and how to drain it. When the boat showed up at my house I made sure I took the cabin hatch off and had it rapaired and and checked it for leaks in the cabin and it was fine. So, I guess my question would be what is that hose doing and where is it going? Also RHC if I get to see this boat again or my friend has me look at it for him again I will be sure to check that. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobonthis
I learn a lot about what I need to know about boats from you guys on oso. Now, when I questioned him about the whole on the bottom, you would think I just slapped his wife. I didn't believe that was it either for the fact that last time it was taking on water you could hear like a water faucet was on in the bilge. I jumped in the back when the owner asked to me to look for it and pulled on a hose that was coming from the top of the port motor. I don't know much about these boats plumbing but let me explain it. There is a large hose that runs across the top that has spicket type shut offs on it. The hose comes off of that then runs behind the motor somewhere. I heard water leaking behind the port motor and looked everywhere and then pulled that hose and it stopped. The boat was then sent to tmp and bill asked me to drive up there and show him what hose I pulled on to stop the leak and I did. From there I don't know what he did. The cabin was taking on water also from a broken hatch and was full of water so I didnt know if this was a cause also so I called Monstaa and asked him about it and how to drain it. When the boat showed up at my house I made sure I took the cabin hatch off and had it rapaired and and checked it for leaks in the cabin and it was fine. So, I guess my question would be what is that hose doing and where is it going? Also RHC if I get to see this boat again or my friend has me look at it for him again I will be sure to check that. Thank you.
sounds to me like the hose for the fresh water flush system
Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What gas tanks does he use? I do not use my saddle tanks. "located in the rear" I have no reason to use them. How much weight difference is there from 600's to 540's "what I have in a triple application"
For some reason it appears mine sits a lot higher in the water.

The third pic has 160 Gallons of fuel and 10 people on board
Attached Thumbnails Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO-tmp5.jpg   Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO-13980.jpg   Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO-img_1373_small_.jpg  

Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Registered

He does use all the gas tanks...Yours definatly sets way higher...I cannot imagine there being that signifigant of a weight differnence in the motors for it to sit that much lower. Thats why I say if the rub rail was not sealed properly it still could be a problem, because I believe it sits in the water on the swim platform.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Hmm... Not what I would consider a "Sunken Treasure"!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/5/89214465.htm
Mice price though! I bet it does not look as good in person as it does in the picture. Maybe a reason why there is only one picture.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Exclamation

My first post on this website and sorry to say I was sparked to join after reading some the inaccurate remarks made here about the sinking of the Fountain. First off, it was me who went down to the Fountain to retrieve my friends jacket and a t-shirt I had left on there that day. While on the boat I turned on the lights and hit the bilge…was told earlier that day to do it frequently and only one of two bilges, because from what I’d been told the other wasn’t working. I'm not the owner or mechanic so not really sure why only 1 pump works on a $300k boat that has a tendency to take on water. After looking over the boat making sure I had all of my stuff out so we could leave early the next day, I checked to see if any water was pumping out (it wasn’t) then turned everything off. The boat didn’t appear to set any lower than it always did and not being the owner or mechanic I had no reason to believe that it sinking was a possibility. I was only down there for about 20minutes max and when I arrived back at the condo I told the owners son that I had bilged it if his dad woke up and asked, that was approx 11:15pm. The next morning at about 7am the owner woke me to what had happened. I was just sick over the occurrence and am just as curious as to why it had sank as everyone. If I had any idea of a problem with the boat I would have checked it my self through out the night. I would think the owner took a chance by leaving it on the water with knowledge of a problem, therefore if blame is needed it is his. If he has a problem with the mechanic that works on it, it's between them two. The fact that I cleaned it and was the last to touch it doesn't make me responsible for its future.
I have always respected Bills’ knowledge on boats and done all I can to help promote his business…as has my brother, everything we own has his stickers on it. I've felt comfortable letting him and his family use my boat and jet skis. To see this kind of reaction seems a little strange. It truly is a sad occurrence and I only hope that whatever the problem is it is fixed completely and correctly so this guy can get back on the water.
On a side note it was great meeting everyone and I had a blast. Hope to do it again.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Theres really a place named "Blacklick"????

Sorry...I couldn't resist!!!

Quick Reply: Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.