Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does Your State Have a Sound Law for Boats? >

Does Your State Have a Sound Law for Boats?

Notices

Does Your State Have a Sound Law for Boats?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90db in Ohio.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by otis311
Our state law is 90db , but our local Lake George law is 86db. So far the local law enforsement has been holding to the 90 rule. Not many of our performance boats are passing even at 90 with mufflers on. I am working with CMI to get our boats with CMI's on them to get below the 90 mark.
On LG, Its 86 dB AT 50 feet. the 90dB law is SAE2500 which is 1 meter off the transom and 5 feet off the water.

Last edited by the duke; 09-05-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered

This statement: "The use of cutouts is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a regatta or official boat race, and for such vessels while on trial runs."

Does this mean Florida does NOT allow switchable exhaust (quick-n-quiet, captain's call, etc.) ??

Or that switchable exhaust still needs to run through mufflers?

On the delta here in NorCal, there hasn't been a lot of enforcement yet (CA does have a noise law), but there has been alot of talk about enforcing it. I run Corsa switchable straight thru the transom, but when I see patrol boats I'll back it down and switch thru-prop, which makes my twin SB's sound downright sedate. Love the captains call...
Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

The Kansas law goes on to say...according to the WP at Lake Perry, that after market captains call are illegal. The way he tested a friends boat the WP was 3 to 5 foot away. At idle he was at 98 dB, in the middle of the lake with all kinds of boats, jet skis and outdoor noise in the bacground. My friend was then asked to leave the lake and not return until his boat could meet the 86 dB. There were 3 other powerboaters aked to leave the lake that day too. I do have letters out to all my State Reps. I also have a letter to our local newspapers. I guess I will contact our local news stations too. It seems like the WP is targeting the powerboats only.

Any legal help out there or at least advise.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Griff
We have sound laws on the books in Nebraska but they are not enforced at all.

Outlawcowgirl, the 86 db at 50 feet may not be as bad as you think. I don't know how much louder B-Nauti is now. I can tell you that my Pantera with the 525SC was real loud when I first got it without any muffs and WAY louder than BNauti ever was. The LOTO WP stopped me my first time at LOTO with the Pantera because of noise on the running test. He said I was at 89db going by him. He was floating. I was only running about 3800rpms though. He gave me warning. I added Shotgun Mufflers and it quieted it down a good amount.

Griff, ah yeah, B-Nauti is way too loud. Trust me.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Registered

I had my boat on Perry last weekend visiting some friends and needless to say I won't be back unless Kansas can get it's sh!t together. I have never seen the water patrol have such a hard on for performance boats. They followed a relatively quiet 382 Formula into party cove and jerked him out to run a course so they could perform a sound check? I've never seen anything like it. I guess they wanted to make an example out of the biggest boat on the lake. The Harley's riding over the bridge were louder then 95% of the boats there!! There is not even a private house or dock on the lake. What gives? Someone needs to get the owner of the marina involved. He's got skin in the game.

Originally Posted by Outlawcowgirl
If so, what is the dB level for your state? Kansas has passed 86 decibels at 50 feet and no boats can be grandfathered in. This seems to be unattainable for the powerboaters. It also seems that at our lake, Lake Perry, Kansas, only the powerboats have been tested and asked to leave the lake. I know that B-Nauti will not pass and are there even mufflers out that that can guarantee us to get to the 86 dB that our state law requires? I know there are house boats, ski boats, cruisers and jet skis that will not pass but none of them have been tested. Do the lawyers on this site think there could be a class action law suit we could put together for discrimination? What else could we do except write letters to our Representatives? Any help would be great. It seems our boating season has been cut short because of this and if we ever get to boat on Kansas lakes again. As of Dec 2006 our boats were legal. As of Jan 2007, the state has made them illegal. What to do?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Originally Posted by NickOTeen
I had my boat on Perry last weekend visiting some friends and needless to say I won't be back unless Kansas can get it's sh!t together. I have never seen the water patrol have such a hard on for performance boats. They followed a relatively quiet 382 Formula into party cove and jerked him out to run a course so they could perform a sound check? I've never seen anything like it. I guess they wanted to make an example out of the biggest boat on the lake. The Harley's riding over the bridge were louder then 95% of the boats there!! There is not even a private house or dock on the lake. What gives? Someone needs to get the owner of the marina involved. He's got skin in the game.

Sorry I missed you out there. I was out of town but my husband was onboard one of the boats that was kicked off. Dave has already sent a letter to the marina about the lose of revue they are going to feel the rest of this season and from here on out if something is not done.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
every increase of 3 db's doubles the sounds "strength" and every increase 10 decibels is ten times louder....
Part of your statement is incorrect. It is true that every 3 db of gain is double the strenght. But a 10 db increase is not 10 times louder.

Actually a 10 db increase is considered by most to "SOUND" twice as loud. A 10 db increase lets say 80 db to 90 db is actually more than 3 fold the power.

Basically if you have 1 boat that was 80 db it would take the addition of another boat at 80 db to measure 83 db. It would take 4 boats that each measure 80 db to measure 86 db. It would take 8 boats to measure 89 db.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Part of your statement is incorrect. It is true that every 3 db of gain is double the strenght. But a 10 db increase is not 10 times louder.

Actually a 10 db increase is considered by most to "SOUND" twice as loud. A 10 db increase lets say 80 db to 90 db is actually more than 3 fold the power.

Basically if you have 1 boat that was 80 db it would take the addition of another boat at 80 db to measure 83 db. It would take 4 boats that each measure 80 db to measure 86 db. It would take 8 boats to measure 89 db.
sorry, instead of louder i should of put more powerful, louder is a relative term, not a technical one...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Nickoteen this is Bankerron, Outlaws husband. I saw your yellow cig. very nice. We didn't make it that far because we were kicked off. I was in a 28ft DCB with 1200HP. We got nailed.

Quick Reply: Does Your State Have a Sound Law for Boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.