Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Residential HVAC duct sizing >

OT: Residential HVAC duct sizing

Notices

OT: Residential HVAC duct sizing

Old 01-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned a Test and Balance Engineering Co. for over 25 years and worked on every kind of system imaginable.

We do mostly large commercial jobs but occasionally get involved in residential systems. We do not work cheap so it only happens when an expensive home that does not work. I am always amazed at the systems that get installed in very nice homes.

98% of all residential contractors do not have a clue what it takes to design and install a proper system. I am sorry to say, one of them installed your system.

The standard home owner believes his general contractor when told the classic "Jim Bobs A/C has installed all our systems and you do not have to worry about it being done right".

The general makes way more money selling fancy carpet and light fixtures than he does having proper electrical, plumbing and air conditioning installed. Because of this you get the cheapest stuff that will meet codes and sometimes even cheaper than that.

I have seen 2 million dollar homes with systems not fit for 235 housing. I may be dating myself with that comment. 235 housing was mass produced crap the government built in the early 70's. It really gets my blood pumping to see a $1.34 stamped steel grille installed in a ceiling right next to a $10,000 chandelier.

You need a qualified professional in your area. Finding that person can be a real problem. The large commercial contractors almost always have good people. Problem is they cannot compete with Joe Bob on price so they never get the residential work.

I do not know of any place where the saying about "you get what you pay for" means more. Sad thing is a lot of people would gladly pay for first class but they are never given the opportunity to chose.

If you have to work long distance you would do well to take Vonwolske up on his offer. The University of Texas system has the best HVAC systems I have ever seen.

Good Luck

LT
Old 01-27-2002, 08:16 PM
kook

Thumbs up

I'll get in touch with Von this week. Thanks for all the input.

-Mark