Like Tree0Likes

What a weekend.....thank you !

Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegirl3 View Post
Charlie ..... it was such an honor to meet you. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me.

Racegirl, you and Lucidee are the Legends of OSO...nice of both of you to stop by.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered

My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX

Was a dive/rescue boat for that race it was great meeting some of you and seeing the Apache and Bounty Hunter run. I went past you in the Apache after dropping of the rescue divers at the coast guard station.The Apache is a beautiful boat on the water.Thank you all for coming
Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion

I grew up in Pt Beach. The Benihana is probably what got me hooked on go fast boats. Wish I had been up for the race this week. It's the first I've missed in a long time. Looks like the beach was stuck in a time warp this past weekend. That's a good thing.....
Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'm speechless...................

Great seeing you again, and the company you keep is pretty cool!

Thank you for my Bithday gift! It's the perfect gift!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

Thankyou to all you offshore legends. You are the reason we are doin it today. In the early 80s, we wished we could do that.

Here we are 25 years later. Oh well, it took a while, but we got there.

thank you....thank you.... thank you
Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Charlie, it was great spending more time with you, I just wish I could have gotten a photo of you and Bobby in Ben's old race boat.

However, I did watch your fingers playing with the tabs and drives while Rob was trying to get that old war horse to run again. It didn't seem happy until we were over 80mph and the engine started getting near 4500k, then she started to sing.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Just a final thought on this and it's time to move on.

As we went out through the cut with those beautiful engines roaring behind us, I thought of all my old friends who went out that same cut and are no longer with us.

Great competitors like....Betty Cook, Joel Halpern, Howard Quam, Joey Ippolito, Keith Hazell, Smitty, Tom Gentry, Bob Nordskog, and many more that I can't remember now.

I was surprised to find out, that many at this year's race, did not know that in the 70's we had so many spectators, over 400,000 and over 6,000 spectator vessels, that the only day we were allowed to run by the Coast Guard was on a Wednesday. It was the only non weekend race on the circuit.

Great memories, thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
What a weekend.....thank you !-engines%2520front.jpg   What a weekend.....thank you !-47%252042%2520ol.jpg   What a weekend.....thank you !-47-apache-start.jpg  

Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

It was great to see all of you guys. I was sitting at the Warfside w/ Bobby Saccenti before the race and he looked at me and motioned with his right arm(throttle arm) that it was starting to itch and smiled
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32' Velocity /Thoroughbed

Couldnt agree more Bernie!
It was definately an honor to ride in the pace boat with Rocky. Seemed like he sure enjoyed himself.
Big thanks to Tweet and Marcella for the use of their boat, and thier hospitality onboard. What great people. As always it was an incredible ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns29scarab View Post
i had my first ride on an 88 41' Apache with a pair of 588 cubic inch Pay Musi motors and #3's...approx 700-750 a side 82mph with 5 people on board and 3/4 plus of fuel...awesome ride. has a 2-3 ft ground swell with a light 1-2 ft chop on top and at 50 mph my soda can never budged...NOW I KNOW WHAT ALL THE HYPE IS ABOUT !! AWEOME MACHINE...was cool hanging with Rocki Aoki all day...we were the other pace boat and Rocki joined us onboard THE AFTON EXPRESS for the festivities
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Great Weekend

It was great to be back at Point Pleasant to see old friends and racing buddies that I haven’t seen for awhile. It brought back many fond memories racing offshore in front of Jenkinson’s Pavilion. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to meet and talk to some of the race teams. Just by talking to them, I noticed how very dedicated they are to offshore racing, keep up the fantastic job you all are doing.
All the equipment I saw was first class and the crews where very professional. I believe that the OPA Racing Organization is going to be around for a long time. This sport has come along way from the when I started racing in the early seventies and the reality is, the wheel is still spinning.

I would like to give special thanks to John Haggin, Scott B, Ron P, Charlie McCarty and AMF for making it all happen. The hospitality was first class..
Thank You All
Bobby Saccenti

Last edited by Bob Saccenti; 09-11-2007 at 10:29 PM.